Poll
Question: Few suggestions - choose your preferred new manager from this list (apologies if your favourite is not listed)
Chris Hughton
Karl Robinson
Fab Piccareta
Dave Artell
Darrell Clarke
Cowley Brothers
Robbie Fowler
Luke Garrard
Graham Alexander
Sol Campbell
Paul Caddis
Other/Not named in list
Michael Appleton
Gav Gunning

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who's the gaffer then?  (Read 8537 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 20:14:17 »

We can make decent, educated guesses.  The limited accounts produced at least show how much we spend as a total business and that can be compared to other cubs in the Division.

Crewe for example, had a Revenue of 5.7m and spent 5.5m in the year ended 2022.
Bradford had a turnover of 7.3m (including transfer fees received) and reported a loss of 299k, so spent about 7.6m in 2022
Leyton Orient had a turnover of 5.6m and spent 7.8m!!!
FGR had an income of 6.5m and spent 6.5m in 2022 - a lot of that income was Sponsorship/Commercial, which is likely Ecotricity overpaying for Sponsorship
Exeter City had income of 7.9m (1.5m from transfer fees), and spent 6.7m

We brought in 6.5m and spent 6.3m

Without going through them all, we look to have a set of accounts that don't look massively different from the top teams in the Division last year (I included Crewe to see if we are above the mid table gang).

Great analysis. Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 20:26:41 »

With the subtle difference that Mason has actually managed the first team, quite successfully in his first caretaker stint

He's been caretaker for 8 or 9 games. That's not enough to make any judgement really.

..never go back.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 20:49:32 »

On Artell, did he actually sign any decent players or just get lucky with their academy products at Crewe? He signed Ollie Lancashire from us which is hardly a ringing endorsement.
Considering our academy is somewhat limited he won’t get the same luxury here or the 2 seasons of mediocrity it took before they were in a position to challenge.
DMC

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 20:52:29 »

Who would you like Theakston.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 20:58:35 »

Who would you like Theakston.
To be honest not sure, I just don’t want one of the names that consistently bounce around the lower leagues. Flitcroft, Brown etc proved that just because they are experienced doesn’t mean a thing, it was all a bit shit.

I just want someone engaging and enthusiastic, of the names mentioned I’d probably lean towards Garrard as he seems to have a bond with their supporters and doesn’t have the usual baggage.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 20:58:50 »

He's been caretaker for 8 or 9 games. That's not enough to make any judgement really.
No ,I was not seriously suggesting he's going to come here but the point was he's not really an equivalent to Morris.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 20:59:35 »

On Artell, did he actually sign any decent players or just get lucky with their academy products at Crewe? He signed Ollie Lancashire from us which is hardly a ringing endorsement.
Considering our academy is somewhat limited he won’t get the same luxury here or the 2 seasons of mediocrity it took before they were in a position to challenge.

Honestly this bloke would be a fucking disaster. This fact alone should get him banned from the borough of Swindon for life.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 08:57:40 »

On the flipside - he made Lancashire a decent player for them.
DMC

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 10:47:03 »

Shhhh people won't like facts. Pretty sure they finished that season on the same points as us too
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 10:51:39 »

Shhhh people won't like facts. Pretty sure they finished that season on the same points as us too

Facts... boo!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 11:05:34 »

To be honest not sure, I just don’t want one of the names that consistently bounce around the lower leagues. Flitcroft, Brown etc proved that just because they are experienced doesn’t mean a thing, it was all a bit shit.

I just want someone engaging and enthusiastic, of the names mentioned I’d probably lean towards Garrard as he seems to have a bond with their supporters and doesn’t have the usual baggage.

It has to be someone with experience of FL football, and not someone you think would clear off as soon as he has a little success and someone else comes calling, someone like McCann, Cowley etc that will hopefully want to take up into L1 and realise what it takes, the type of players you need, someone that is happy to be given free reign, and perhaps realises with the right tools there is something to build here.

Or someone perhaps who's reputation has taken a bit of a battering (like Wellens at Oldham & Salford) and realises why, someone like Nathan Jones would be great looking at what he did with Luton then maybe left for the wrong club, maybe he fancy's starting again in the lower leagues and can see a plan.

I do believe with stfc that if a manager is allowed to build with the correct players (not young untried at this level) something can work here, as the club is stable financially, and a chairman that wont interfere but will back the manager at the right time.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 11:15:43 »

It has to be someone with experience of FL football, and not someone you think would clear off as soon as he has a little success and someone else comes calling, someone like McCann, Cowley etc that will hopefully want to take up into L1 and realise what it takes, the type of players you need, someone that is happy to be given free reign, and perhaps realises with the right tools there is something to build here.

Or someone perhaps who's reputation has taken a bit of a battering (like Wellens at Oldham & Salford) and realises why, someone like Nathan Jones would be great looking at what he did with Luton then maybe left for the wrong club, maybe he fancy's starting again in the lower leagues and can see a plan.

I do believe with stfc that if a manager is allowed to build with the correct players (not young untried at this level) something can work here, as the club is stable financially, and a chairman that wont interfere but will back the manager at the right time.

Charlie Austin's presence suggests otherwise.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 11:19:44 »

Did he interfere ?

Nobody knows the discussions Clem had with Lindsey
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 11:21:38 »

In all fairness to Clem, we have struggled to find a 20+ goal striker since Doyle, Yeates  and McKirdy so in some ways when needs must.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 12:10:35 »

Really?! He only played 11 games for them in the season they finished level on points with us and less than half the games the following season in L1. I don’t think he was ever decent for them or us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: