Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v St. Evenage match day thread  (Read 16251 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 23:03:17 »

Men against boys.
Re one of our youngsters. Does anyone think Cain is able?
Not remotely.  I said some weeks ago that he reminds me of Anton Rogers and he's not shone since then.

He looks backwards first, occasionally plays forward with a quality ball, but is also capable of being utter shite and giving it away or putting it in the stands.  He appears to have no confidence in his ability, which makes him easy to read and totally ineffective.

He may come good, and really hope he does, but looks a waste of a wage to me.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 23:05:55 by Pookemon » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 05:21:37 »

Not remotely.  I said some weeks ago that he reminds me of Anton Rogers and he's not shone since then.

He looks backwards first, occasionally plays forward with a quality ball, but is also capable of being utter shite and giving it away or putting it in the stands.  He appears to have no confidence in his ability, which makes him easy to read and totally ineffective.

He may come good, and really hope he does, but looks a waste of a wage to me.

And a transfer fee as well in that case.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 06:24:36 »

Scratching my head as to how Stevenage with that keeper kept a clean sheet last night. He spilled 2 shots first half and then that awful attempt to take/punch a ball out of the air in the second half that led to RHM being impeded, was feeble. Sadly we just never did enough to work him, I reckon if we hit some corners just under their cross bar, he probably flaps one in.

Positives - Minturn, despite taking liberties a little too much seems to be very confident and looks like he might just make it as a league player.
 I thought the combination of RHM and Hutton down the right was very positive. I do like RHM, I reckon with a pre-season under his belt he can be very good indeed in league 2. Hutton is good going forward, but poor(ish) defensively, that has been done to death. Wonder if we sell Hutton then Lavinier slots in? Nowhere near as good at crossing but has the ability to use pace to get to the byline and cut in and has a fierce shot on him. Mceachran was busy and looked useful, trying to knit defence and attack together.

Negatives - Khan, Cain and Shade just miles off where we need them to be. Sadly we miss a couple of real physical players in midfield that you want to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Jeff Cott worked hard but it was too easy for their back 3 last night, JM is going to have to work on making our strikers much more dangerous. One good moment first half with his back to goal where he unselfishly setup a team mate, but service to him wasn't up to scratch.

On another night with a more clinical forward, Stevenage probably win that 4 zip but they showed second half how to shut up shop and take home the 3 points. Not pretty, but bloody effective.

I noticed that Evans was sat down the whole match, was that simply because he was too heavy to stand up, or is he making a conscious decision to stay off the touchline to avoid getting his gob in trouble? Alex Revell was also on the touchline, formerly of this parish. Nice to have Sam Parkin on comms last night, really intelligent guy to listen to.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 06:42:34 »

Going back to experience.

Swindon 1st team EFL games total = 426 (before the subs)

Stevenage 1st team EFL games total = 2459

This was the stat of the night.

We’ve done it to death but you’ll never build a successful team like this.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 06:45:06 »

Enjoy Morris negotiating his penalty count up in the post match interview. I think he's thought we should have two penalties every game - so if he's looking for five then it probably was two to a reasonable observer! Honestly the only one that looked egregious was the RHM one after their keeper dropped the ball, the rest you've seen given but are cross if they're given at the other end.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 06:46:38 »

Enjoy Morris negotiating his penalty count up in the post match interview. I think he's thought we should have two penalties every game - so if he's looking for five then it probably was two to a reasonable observer! Honestly the only one that looked egregious was the RHM one after their keeper dropped the ball, the rest you've seen given but are cross if they're given at the other end.

McEachran got shoved in the back early in the first half and I counted another 2 we could have had on a good day. Ref was shocking yesterday and fell for all of their time wasting tactics. An Evans team that has passed the dark arts - good enough for L2 but they’ll be straight back down
Laddy in Red

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:10:53 »

I only managed to watch a bit of the 2nd half and we looked alright in that bit. Thought Austin should've done better with the header he had, great cross by Hutton again, I like him, we'd be silly not to keep until January at least. The referee was unbelievably atrocious, just encourages anti football.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:23:02 »

in some respects Morris is right, with a decent ref we could have got at least a point.

But to the MK1 eyeball Stevenage, while more agricultural, looked to be a step above. Big step? maybe not. but clearly above.

you don't get points for style over substance
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:31:41 »

4D quote]
For their 2 Tuesday night games in Feb they took 105 to Newport and 463 to Wimbledon.
They'll bring around 300.
[/quote]
I stand by my prediction of 210 Smiley

Wink
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:35:18 by 4D » Logged
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:33:05 »

I have no issue with the 'dark arts', which to my mind is playing on the edge of the law.

What I do have a problem with is cheating, and this ref was absolutely blind to it. Going down feigning a head injury time and time again is cheating, pure and simple. One of them went over in their box when we had the ball in a dangerous area and the ref just blew up. It was piss poor from them and piss poor from the ref. Something needs to be done to stamp it out.

A bit of subtle time wasting here and there, some needle and physicality and getting in the refs ear is all fine.

Pure straight-up overt cheating stinks.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:42:47 »

Who is the twat on comms? What a bellend.
Post of the season!🙂

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:45:55 »

I have no issue with the 'dark arts', which to my mind is playing on the edge of the law.

What I do have a problem with is cheating, and this ref was absolutely blind to it. Going down feigning a head injury time and time again is cheating, pure and simple. One of them went over in their box when we had the ball in a dangerous area and the ref just blew up. It was piss poor from them and piss poor from the ref. Something needs to be done to stamp it out.

A bit of subtle time wasting here and there, some needle and physicality and getting in the refs ear is all fine.

Pure straight-up overt cheating stinks.
Absolutely and if that's what it takes wouldn't want us to do it

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:48:17 »

Havent read back.

Real mixed emotions as i left the CG last night....sober as a judge as i gave the pop a miss.

It is obviously clear why Stevenage are where they are in the League. Perfectly set up for a pop at fourth tier football success.

Organised, big (all of em), masters of the dark arts and very very direct. Although uncomfortable because it was my team on the end of it, i did admire the way they played. Sorry but i did.
Town are a young side and it was wince worthy at times when we were simply steam rollered by them.

Lightening when they picked up a loose pass on the edge of their area in the first and hit us in three passes and got a corner.....that is the way to get results in this league.

My views on the game having said all that was that we probably deserved a draw:

They did miss some chances and i dont know about the early shout but the Pen shout at the TE could be seen from space, there is no excuse for a Sunday morning ref to miss that, let alone a League official.
he also got suckered in by the 'head injuries'.
Needs to be a new rule on this, they took the piss. I also accept that all teams, including us do this stuff. Ref was awful.

For a young (too young IMO) side, we did well and its becoming very clear, which players are worth keeping, letting go or we are lumbered with.

Missed Williams, the one played that has close control and buy us some time to keep the shape.

Gutted that Charlies header went awry, i thought that was going to be the moment.

Murphy ran his bollocks off.

We still fuck about at the back and got away with Boro missing ....FFS...its NOT working.STOP!

Anyway, a dead rubber for us...two games to go and then start the speculation about what the squad will look like next season.

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:49:03 »

A final thought. Hutton is a shit defender. The man can cross a ball but much past that I’m struggling. Play him as a winger or not at all, and if someone is prepared to pay good money then take it.
Exactly as I have advocated all season. I totally agree.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 08:57:22 »

So where was Williams? Injured, ill or dropped?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: