Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v St. Evenage match day thread  (Read 16293 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:02:03 »

People will complain about the ref, and yeah he was abysmal, but we didn’t do enough to get anything from that. Two/three chances where Stevenage should’ve killed us off but due to some horrific finishing, they left the door ajar. Thought the changes in the second half livened us up a bit, but truth be told, we are miles behind a side like that which is so disheartening considering Stevenage are just an organised, well-drilled side with a bit of grit in there. People will also look at Stevenage and think that’s the way to get promoted from this league, and while it’s worked for them, there’s no point thinking we’ll do the same. Our young players and ‘attractive’ style of play can work, but it needs two or three experienced heads (not players like Khan) and football IQ. Sadly we lack both of those.

Can't argue with that.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:05:37 »

Am I alone in enjoying that Stevenage performance a little bit? They were everything we’re not. Strong, experienced, hard working and disciplined. Willing to do anything to grind out those points. Was it attractive football to watch? No but it got the points and whilst I wouldn’t want to watch that over a season, I don’t buy the snobbery take that we’re in the right for trying to pass it about and they’re in the wrong for playing a less attractive style. There’s multiple ways to win football matches and a middle ground between what we are and what they are is what we should be aiming for in my opinion.

Look at the experience and know how in that team to know when to go down with an injury to relieve pressure, when to slow things down, 3 experienced CB’s bellowing out instructions and organising. Every single one of their players committed 100% to trying to win every header. All things we could learn from and that you only really learn through experiences experience.

Is that going to be enough in League One for them? Probably not, the difference in quality is mental and they’ll have to adjust but they showed traits that we need to learn quickly if we’re going to get out of this division. The Wellens side weren’t as hoofball as Stevenage were tonight but they did have players capable of the rough and sneaky side of the game like Grant and experience sprinkled throughout it with that know how.

All that being said though, the ref did have a stinker.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:06:54 »

Shocking defending for the goal but defensively “okay”, a couple of gaffes aside.

The midfield simply didn’t operate as a unit. Cain had a pass like Thor’s hammer, Khan was dreadful. He’s gone backwards at warp speed. We should absolutely not be building around him at all next year. McEachran is the modern tidy player. Not sure he’s the man for L2. We massively missed Jonny’s guile.

I thought RHM was good. Jephcott ran a bit but not in it. Shade had his chance and blew it. Has everything to succeed but seems borderline brain dead at times.

Ref stank, as did his useless assistants but that’s part of the penance for being in league two. We need to suck it up.

Stevenage were everything we expected. Never want to be that side. Had a taste under Flitcroft and that was more likely to make me abandon my season ticket than anything Sandro has done.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:07:12 »

Parkin:
- Good turn out
- Fans got behind the team after subs
- Stevenage players seemed to try to kill the game but crowd continued to try to lift the team
- Second half of the season has been a tough watch
- Fans continued to support the players. Only a few boos
- A few weeks ago that would have been a heavier defeat
- Stevenage should have scored more
- Swindon stuck in there and tried to rally
- Swindon have to have inch perfect passes to score the way they play
- Had to be cute and worked through the thirds. Nearly worked in the first half
- There is no shame in losing. But there is still a gap between Town and the opposition who played in unison as a team.
- More time with the management team and a much better squad may improve things
- Parkin saw a contrast in the play. Wasn't possession heavy. Saw a team trying to win a game any way they could. Didn't overly play out from the back. That was the right way to go about it. Need some physicality and to be able to run at teams in L2.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:10:01 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Outsider83

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:07:59 »

Did Morris get a red card at the death? Someone did & he was very animated.
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:09:09 »

Did Morris get a red card at the death? Someone did & he was very animated.
‘Twas Brand I believe
Outsider83

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:09:36 »

‘Twas Brand I believe

Ahhh
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:28:02 »

I've no problem how Stevenage played to get the points.

At this stage of the season they are all that matter. Shit to watch, yes. would I care, no.

We have now been doubled haven't we.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:36:57 »

play on . really.

https://twitter.com/warwickroadend/status/1650956324149030922?t=1AK40gLB3u1w2JmxT9Z7hQ&s=19
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:41:30 »

Couldn’t be arsed to wait for Morris

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 21:49:20 »

A final thought. Hutton is a shit defender. The man can cross a ball but much past that I’m struggling. Play him as a winger or not at all, and if someone is prepared to pay good money then take it.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 22:11:43 »

Simply put... Stevenage were a better team
Seemed head and shoulders above a poor young Swindon outfit that offered very little.
Obvious need for a minimum of 5 experienced players in key positions before any improvements will happen.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 22:12:23 »

You can see promise in virtually every player on the pitch (though I’ve run out of hope for Shade, and Cain’s going to have to do a lot more over the next 2.5 years Crying to make me understand why he was worth investing in). But this summer we shouldn’t recruit a single player under 25!

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 22:22:09 »

Morris:
- Thought we were unlucky
- Elements where we can do better on the ball
- Poor goal defensively to concede
- Choose wrong moments to try to play.
- Moments to try to bring the ball under control and others when to get it away
- Early in 2nd half we still tried to do that
- Thought we competed really well.
- More than matched them in the second half
- If we had a ref that gets decisions right...We had one penalty in the first half and three in the second. They were blatant
- When you are on the front foot and competing like that then you need the right clear and obvious decisions
- Surprised not to have got 2 out of 3 in the second and 1 out of 2 in the first
- Havent matched that type of opponent that well before
- Deserved more than zero points and proper refereeing decisions
- It wasnt just the poenalties, its the going down with head injuries and bringing our players down when we broke
- Brand wouldn't be the only one who was upset. Dont know whether it was him who got the red card. Saw a red card but dont know who it was for.
- They were hanging on and relying on the ref not doing his job
- They are masters of that style of play
- Felt we matched them. On another day we could have scored more
- Brewitt knee problem. Couldnt turn as well as he would like
- Minturn did some really good things. Looked calm. Couple of moments when he was too casual. Made an outstanding interception in the first half and tried to get his head on it. Will point out bits when it wasnt the right time to play out
- Doesnt know whether with 2 games to go it is worth looking at fringe players. Morris wants to keep building
- Williams: Not sure if he will be back on Saturday. Has an ongoing groin problem

sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 22:36:14 »

Men against boys.
Re one of our youngsters. Does anyone think Cain is able?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: