Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The rumoured good news  (Read 6484 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:11:51 »

It’s not easy, though. If one of us won the lottery and foolishly decided to buy Clem out, would any of us have the faintest how to and who to appoint ‘football’ people in positions to run the club?

You’d have to rely on someone giving you advice - and hope you’re not being taken for a ride.

You may not choose a friend of the previous owner, one who you determine to have been a bit of a crook, especially when that person has a conviction for Drugs and Money Laundering.  Even if you did, once he got beaten-up as a result of his past dealings (recent past), you may think twice?
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:19:01 »

The Wrexham doc is a fairly decent example of what you are describing in terms of 'clueless millionaires invest in football club'. The first thing they did was hire Shaun Harvey as advisor to the Board. He'd been Chief Exec of the Football League, CEO of Leeds United and MD at Bradford City.

Clem hired a two-bit bagman with a criminal record.

I think most people would back themselves to do better than that...
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:21:31 »

You may not choose a friend of the previous owner, one who you determine to have been a bit of a crook, especially when that person has a conviction for Drugs and Money Laundering.  Even if you did, once he got beaten-up as a result of his past dealings (recent past), you may think twice?
That’s a good point actually, I remember back at the start we were meant to feel sorry for him whilst he was recovering from injuries after getting beaten up. In reality we probably should have asked what was the motive behind the attack on him as at first glance it would suggest he isn’t quite as squeaky clean these days as is made out.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:29:04 »

That’s a good point actually, I remember back at the start we were meant to feel sorry for him whilst he was recovering from injuries after getting beaten up. In reality we probably should have asked what was the motive behind the attack on him as at first glance it would suggest he isn’t quite as squeaky clean these days as is made out.

My thoughts exactly
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:30:30 »

The Wrexham doc is a fairly decent example of what you are describing in terms of 'clueless millionaires invest in football club'. The first thing they did was hire Shaun Harvey as advisor to the Board. He'd been Chief Exec of the Football League, CEO of Leeds United and MD at Bradford City.

Yep, I posted this before. Clearly Reynolds and the guy from the Philadelphia adverts had no idea about football and got Harvey in. Almost certainly one of the most important things they did.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:34:23 »

Exactly. But they would have had no idea who he was and taken advice from someone. It’s the ‘someone’ who is important in this scenario.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:40:54 »

Exactly. But they would have had no idea who he was and taken advice from someone. It’s the ‘someone’ who is important in this scenario.

Even if I went it alone, I'd back myself with Google and LinkedIn to do better than an ex-con with zero background in football.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:41:34 »

You may not choose a friend of the previous owner, one who you determine to have been a bit of a crook, especially when that person has a conviction for Drugs and Money Laundering.  Even if you did, once he got beaten-up as a result of his past dealings (recent past), you may think twice?

I have completely lost track of where things got to, was it this story that led to the drug and money laundering suggestions and was it ever actually confirmed by another source? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4714579.stm
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:47:38 »

Let's not forget, Clem had been around the club since 2018. It isn't as if he wouldn't have met football people during that time.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:49:44 »

It’s blurry. If you Google him, or at least that name, it comes up with a director of TES Group, from Bromley (which is where he hails from) but his age doesn’t match that of the Zav Austin who was arrested and jailed.

The ex con, according to that report, is now 41. The other Zav Austin was born in 1970, making him 53.

Now, what’s the chances of 2 people with a rather unique name both coming from Bromley.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:52:11 »

Didnt Clem even say on one of those supporters club things, Zav went to prison and has rebuilt his life etc

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 12:55:11 »

One minor thing which is strange. The fella convicted was Zaver Austin, yet our man goes by Zavier Austin.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 13:04:46 »

It’s blurry. If you Google him, or at least that name, it comes up with a director of TES Group, from Bromley (which is where he hails from) but his age doesn’t match that of the Zav Austin who was arrested and jailed.

The ex con, according to that report, is now 41. The other Zav Austin was born in 1970, making him 53.

Now, what’s the chances of 2 people with a rather unique name both coming from Bromley.

TBH that's what I was querying, he looks 53 if he is 41 he had one hell of a paper round!

Actually to avoid wasting bandwidth, seems to have already been debated to death here https://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=58890.660
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 13:08:57 »

This definitely isn't the rumoured good news!

https://twitter.com/LowerLeagueLook/status/1645732605222846464

This made me laugh
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 13:09:50 »

The story I just found from 2005 said he was 34, which would put him at roughly 52/53 now which ties up with 1970.
https://courtnewsuk.co.uk/a-fall-guy-who-helped-run-a-pnds-stlg-12-5-milli/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: