Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Salford v Swindon Matchday & Buildup  (Read 23158 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 11:24:20 »

Ugly, boring football and poor results. Yet its tolerated because???
I think it is tolerated more because -
1. injuries and suspensions accrued before he became boss

2. the squad was inherited and not brought together by Morris, whereas this squad was put together almost entirely by Lindsey or with Lindseys input (Sandro).

I will judge Morris when he has had time to assemble his own squad and get them playing how he wants.

It was obvious from the first few games that Lindsey had assembled a squad that were not up to the task yet we never added to it in the transfer window, we just lost 3 of our most experienced and consistant performers and replaced them with injured or (currently) inferior players.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 11:31:27 »

I think it is tolerated more because -

2. the squad was inherited and not brought together by Morris, whereas this squad was put together almost entirely by Lindsey or with Lindseys input (Sandro).

I will judge Morris when he has had time to assemble his own squad and get them playing how he wants.

It was obvious from the first few games that Lindsey had assembled a squad that were not up to the task yet we never added to it in the transfer window, we just lost 3 of our most experienced and consistant performers and replaced them with injured or (currently) inferior players.

Don't go applying context. Its the exactly the same situation and people are only giving Morris more rope because he played in The Premier League. Lets mock the people that were proven right about Scott Lindsey har-har, I am so smart.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 11:43:01 »

Out of interest DV, who would you like to have seen appointed?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 11:44:41 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman
think it is tolerated more because -

That's exactly it.

I will add though that I'd hope to see something to indicate what he is trying to do, even if some of the current crop can't do it.

We've not seen that yet (with good reasons as said above). You'd hope to see it in a few games for though.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 11:49:44 »

That's exactly it.

I will add though that I'd hope to see something to indicate what he is trying to do, even if some of the current crop can't do it.

We've not seen that yet (with good reasons as said above). You'd hope to see it in a few games for though.
Absolutely mate. We have currently little style or direction on the pitch, something we suffered from with Lindsey in almost every game he managed us for.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 11:52:36 »

That's exactly it.

I actually disagree with you slightly Batch. I'm totally useless when it comes to tactics etc but I do think we've seen signs in the 4 games that Morris is nowhere near as rigid or one-dimensional as SL was. There seems to be much more fluidity in the way he sets up his sides, players positions seem to move around a lot more than they used to. There was a piece online (I can't remember who wrote it sorry) that did some analysis on the Salford game and suggested we were using 'funnel pressing' (nope, me either) very well to stop Salford playing as efficiently as they have been.

Clayton has already come out and stated that Morris and Brand are the best coaches he's worked with (he wasn't going to say anything differently was he!!) and he came from Liverpool. I completely agree that fans should judge Morris on more than the end of this season, to do otherwise would be somewhat unfair.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 12:01:25 »

How dare you disagree, I know all
oh wait, fuck all.

yes we have seen more flexibility in formation. Personally I'm struggling to see a default style. it's been a bit scrappy for me.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 12:01:43 »

I actually disagree with you slightly Batch. I'm totally useless when it comes to tactics etc but I do think we've seen signs in the 4 games that Morris is nowhere near as rigid or one-dimensional as SL was. There seems to be much more fluidity in the way he sets up his sides, players positions seem to move around a lot more than they used to. There was a piece online (I can't remember who wrote it sorry) that did some analysis on the Salford game and suggested we were using 'funnel pressing' (nope, me either) very well to stop Salford playing as efficiently as they have been.

Clayton has already come out and stated that Morris and Brand are the best coaches he's worked with (he wasn't going to say anything differently was he!!) and he came from Liverpool. I completely agree that fans should judge Morris on more than the end of this season, to do otherwise would be somewhat unfair.
I think Morris has shown slighlty more nous about changing formations when they arent working, although that seemed slightly more evident on Saturday when forced into the change. He still changed the formation correctly.

I am not sure if we would have won without the enforced substitution though.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 12:13:41 »

That is the most encouraging part about Morris so far, despite overall results. He tries something different when it isn't working rather than sleepwalking along with it.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 12:15:35 »

That is the most encouraging part about Morris so far, despite overall results. He tries something different when it isn't working rather than sleepwalking along with it.
That used to frustrate me about Lindsey more than most things he did.

When a plan or tactic wasnt working he would just replace as near as like for like with subs (and too late to affect the game) and not change the formation or tactics which blatantly werent working rather than tying out a different approach.

Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 13:31:29 »

Think this is the one.

https://www.totalswindon.com/sport/funnel-pressing-and-how-swindon-town-stopped-salford-city-from-playing/
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 14:08:58 »

I can answer that, Duncan Ferguson..  he mentioned his name so many times I thought he was his agent at one point.. Cheesy

The same DF that has a worse record than Morris even though he came in earlier in the transfer window, has a bigger budget and arguably a more talented and larger squad to pick from than us.  Make of that what you will..
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 14:16:00 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 14:15:27 »

I can answer that, Duncan Ferguson..  he mentioned his name so many times I thought he was his agent at one point.. Cheesy

One point from 5 games at FGR's Duncan Ferguson, that is.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 14:21:38 »

Aaron Aardvark no doubt.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 14:30:50 »

Yes, that’s exactly it.
No manager should be given a fair chance.
It’s only fair.

Look, we or most of us get it, but your sarcasm act is shitter than mine.

C'mon DV this is just making you come across as more of a dick than you already are  Soapy Tit Wank Although there is hope, just go and spend a day on a Flerfer forum and you'll not only not feel like a total dick any more but feel like a pioneering scientist; trying to talk to people from 6th Century BC with views fixed to the same time period, except that you're talking to them in the present day  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: