Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FM 23  (Read 2229 times)
DMC

« on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 15:26:53 »

Anyone got this? I have not played any manager games since 2000. My mum bought me it as she reckons work is stressing me out and this game is even fucking worse

Can't win fuckall and performing worse than Scott Lindsey, anyone else playing it?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 15:29:15 »

Yes mate, its a faff to get used to
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 15:33:42 »

I love the idea of someone buying you Football Manager to reduce your stress levels!

May I recommend Stardew Valley or a nice lie down?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 15:44:07 »

I love the idea of someone buying you Football Manager to reduce your stress levels!

May I recommend Stardew Valley or a nice lie down?

Oh bloody hell my missus and 9 year old (not the same person Wink Cheesy) play Stardew Valley all the time!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 15:51:41 »

I used to love football manager, I mean really love it. Started around 2000 funnily enough with Championship Manager.

Last time I played was about 2014, I hadn't played for a few years when I fired that one up. Was having the run of my life on that game.

That run went from Crusaders in Northern Ireland for about 5 years where I also got the Australia job about 3 years in. Consistently won mostly everything with Crusaders and I think an Asia Cup or something with Australia. Then I moved my club to Bradford and got them promoted, I was loundering in mid table so I moved to another Championship team who I got promoted and was loundering in mid table in the Prem and I took The England job. Won Euros and World Cup and then got beat in the semis or final of the following Euros and left for the Man United job, was doing ok and the laptop broke and I lost everything.

Can't even remember what club I was at between Bradford and England. Was someone playing in blue.

Not been back since, doubt I ever will. I don't know players of other clubs like I used to, probably not helped by not playing the game.

Even comparing the later ones I played to the earlier Championship Manager games, they're totally different games now. So in depth, arguably too much. I know there is condensed version you can run, but sometimes that is missing a couple of the better elements they've brought in.

Probably my favourite of all the games was Championship Manager 2003/04, before the split to Football Manager. That was the perfect blend of enjoyability before it started going a little too in depth for me.

Managed to win everything with Leicester on that one after getting promoted, made less impressive my later real world events. Signed David Bellion from United initially on loan with a pre agreed fee of about £1.2m and he turned out to be an absolute world beater. Hilarious when you look at how his real life career panned out.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:13:06 »

You can play Championship Manager 93/94 and download it for free.

Great game
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:17:34 »

You can play Championship Manager 93/94 and download it for free.

Great game

Where from just out of interest?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:23:24 »

There was a version going around not long ago of an early Championship Manager but with up to date squads as well.
tans

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:30:05 »

Where from just out of interest?

https://oldgamesdownload.com/championship-manager-93-94/

You need to download dosbox aswell
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:33:00 »

Ta
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:39:07 »

Incredible how some old games that required a huge console or would take a big portion of your drive that you can just download and play now.
DMC

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:43:41 »

Cheers guys it's certainly fucking hard . I said the same Nemo, not sure how it has helped me at all
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:46:53 »

Do they still give the option of running a condensed version? Maybe start there because going from 2000s games to the latest must be overwhelming
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:50:26 »

the latest versions are very overwhelming to new players but I highly recommend delegating basically everything except transfers and matches to your staff. then take control of things once you get to grips with how the game works.

for example, your assistant can run training. your chief scout can find players. etc etc.

you can even set a director of football to be in charge of transfers if you just want to coach the team.

mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 17:40:35 »

I'm a regular player of the games since, maybe the first CM, or at least Championship Manager 2. They used to change fundamentally but now it's just yearly tweaks, so in the last 7 or so years I've bought FM16, then 20, and got FM23 about a month ago when it went down to about £25 on CD Keys. I've played about 120 hours on it so far.

I think FM23 is definitely more difficult or nuanced, tactically, to my previous version. I used to download tactics and tweak them, now it seems that if I do that it all falls apart and I lose all the time. I've got my Newcastle team playing a downloaded 3-5-2 because the 4-4-2 that worked in the first season (finished 2nd then added Bellingham and James Morrison) was leaving me mid-table. Recovered and got 4th.

Agree with others - get a half-decent assistant manager and as many other staff as you can reasonably afford, and delegate to them to simplify some of the tasks. If you're not enjoying it, take a break or switch things up with a downloaded tactic suited to your players.

I stopped playing with lower-league teams a while ago because once I got to the Prem the other teams' budgets were insane and I have no idea how people get tiny teams to win the Prem and Champions League etc., unless they use the editor (I never do).
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 17:46:27 by mystical_goat » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: