Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 154110 times)
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #1020 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 08:23:24 »

Have we ever had an internal appointment that was even remotely successful? I can't think of one.

Has to be Mark Cooper. Was assistant manager to Kevin MacDonald, went from caretaker to permenant manager. Took us all the way to a play-off final in the 3rd tier. Under his management, we ended up receiving massive fees for Luongo, Gladwin and Byrne. Even managed to receive £150k for Will Randall!

And following Martin Ling, we gave Luke Williams the top-job, which briefly went well in his first season (Ajose and Obika scored plenty, entertaining side, few 4-3 and 4-2 wins chucked in). Then un-ravelled in 16/17.

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1021 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 08:35:34 »

Sounds like a man who has been told he has not been successful

Everyone's favourite journo confirmed he had applied but indeed had not been successful.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1022 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 08:49:51 »

I got to thinking last night, if we was to poach a realistic manager for the job, who would it be ?

I was actually thinking of Paul Simpson done a good job a Carlisle, into his 2nd season there and doing well so may want to move on to a bigger club
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1023 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 08:51:46 »

Everyone's favourite journo confirmed he had applied but indeed had not been successful.

Is Piers Morgan covering Swindon now?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1024 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 08:56:08 »

I got to thinking last night, if we was to poach a realistic manager for the job, who would it be ?

I was actually thinking of Paul Simpson done a good job a Carlisle, into his 2nd season there and doing well so may want to move on to a bigger club

Hugely unpopular and a disgusting person but you can't really ignore what Steve Evans has done at Stevenage. Has the ability to get clubs out of this league, it's the one above that he struggles in but to get us out of league 2, you'd fancy him to do it.

I know Clem is a big fan of Wellens, I doubt we would have tried to get him back and a lot of fans don't like the idea of going backwards but it was good when he was here before.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1025 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 08:56:47 »

Is Piers Morgan covering Swindon now?

I think he's too busy sniffing Christiano Ronaldo's rear end.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1026 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 09:24:13 »

Evans is a weird one, because I was under the same impression RE: his record, but he has only been promoted twice in the football league, both with Rotherham (from league one and league two)

Things get better but they never get good
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1027 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 09:26:40 »

Evans is a weird one, because I was under the same impression RE: his record, but he has only been promoted twice in the football league, both with Rotherham (from league one and league two)

I'm just going to have a look at Wiki now but didn't he get Crawley or Boston United promoted? Certainly Crawley were punching above their weight when we were pissing the league with Di Canio weren't we?

Edit - 2010/11 he got Crawley promoted from non-league and to the 5th round of the FA Cup (they beat us in that run) where they lost 1-0 at Old Trafford earning £1 million quid along the way. He left Crawley in a good position in league 2 to go to Rotherham where they did the double promotion.

Hi career hit the skids a bit after getting the Leeds job but his CV overall isn't to be sniffed at.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 09:31:26 by Bob's Orange » Logged

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1028 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 09:27:09 »

Evans punching above his weight would be pretty impressive tbf.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #1029 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 09:34:03 »

Yeah sorry, I wasn’t clear. I thought his league record specifically was more impressive than it is

Things get better but they never get good
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1030 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 09:36:44 »

Yeah sorry, I wasn’t clear. I thought his league record specifically was more impressive than it is

I got what you meant  Wink Cheesy, plus the promotion of Boston from the conference needs a fucking great big * next to it!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1031 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 09:41:38 »

No I did get what you meant also. Smiley I guess once he had his sucess at Rov'rum his career peaked by going to Leeds where I guess he was 'found out', although "Evans took charge of a Leeds side one point off the relegation zone, however, he managed to guide Leeds to a 13th-place finish at the end of the 2015–16 season with Leeds finishing 15 points behind the playoff positions." and was then fired by a trigger happy Massimo Cellino. 

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1032 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 10:12:19 »

Evans punching above his weight would be pretty impressive tbf.
Very good Smiley
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #1033 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 10:22:55 »

The Crawley players loved Steve Evans.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1034 on: Thursday, January 26, 2023, 10:28:35 »

Didn't do such a great job for Boston, where the fat crook screwed them over good & proper.

In some ways I do wish we would appoint him, would save me a small fortune
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: