Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 152889 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #945 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 10:38:45 »

I’d be delighted with this, especially with some of the candidates that were mentioned
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 10:40:06 »

If true, that would be a great appointment. Would be very happy with that.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #947 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 11:05:12 »

Would be happy with either Morris or Artell, I've a horrid feeling that both will fall through. Although I must admit I felt very despondent about our chances of getting Austin in right up to the moment he signed
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 11:22:56 »

Definitely a more exciting appointment than Artell but I guess more of a gamble.

This was my thoughts too.

Having said that, it is our type of appointment. We have a history of giving managers their start.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 11:27:49 »

If Morris is bringing another top Chelsea youth coach or someone that worked under Lampard at Everton with him, that makes it a lot more exciting. I'd have been happy with Artell, he seemed a safer bet....but this is a more exciting yet riskier appointment.

Hopefully we can get it over the line.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 11:47:13 »

Here’s the rest of the article

‘ His work with Frank Lampard at both Derby County and Chelsea coaching some of the stars of the Premier League is understood to have interested Swindon Town who are determined to make the most of the return of Charlie Austin.

Due to the intensity of the negotiations and the inclusion of a second club (to negotiate compensation for the assistant) it’s understood the club are hoping to get the appointment completed by the weekend although with 3 parties involved it could take longer.

We will follow up this article later today with some background on Morris and his career so far.’

Interesting. I had assumed that as the bookies odds had closed with Artell the favourite, that he would be announced today. Morris had sneaked into the odds but from people I had spoken to, weren't aware of where his name had come from. Which suggests that the club had been very tight lipped around appointing Morris and the mystery assistant.

As managerial appointments go, it's a risk (as with every one) given it's his first role, but given our history of appointing 'big name' managers, Ardiles, Hoddle, Wise, Poyet, Di Canio etc this kind of fits that narrative. I wonder who the assistant from a premier league club is? (not Chelsea)

On another note, Jimmy Fraser ex-player (I think) and Swindon fan is Head of Youth Development and Recruitment at Chelsea and I wonder if we can forge ties with him to go down the Clayton/Cain route to bring in young talented players permanently.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #951 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 11:50:15 »

Jody Morris was never 'leaked' as being a target of the club by Ryan Whelan was he. There appeared to be a list of managers being interviewed that he was happy to release, but Morris' name was never mentioned in the interview process, which makes you wonder whether the club was feeding red herrings to Whelan in order to keep Morris under wraps. It was only when Morris started appearing higher up the betting list that people started to notice.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:15:38 »

If they do appoint Morris which i was told yesterday they are very close to, this could be an exciting appointment which will get the support of the fans and show ambition for the club. Fair play to Sandro if he get's it done.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:25:45 »

I wonder if Jimmy Fraser will be the assistant?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:33:42 »

If they do appoint Morris which i was told yesterday they are very close to, this could be an exciting appointment which will get the support of the fans and show ambition for the club. Fair play to Sandro if he get's it done.

Ahh, the old ‘I heard about this but didn’t mention it until after news had broke’
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:34:51 »

Nothing is certain in football but I believe choosing Morris over Artell would be a big mistake. I think Artell would lead Swindon Town to promotion this season or next. Jody Morris might turn out to be a brilliant choice but he wouldn't have been a risk I'd have taken if I was in the boardroom.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #956 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:36:25 »

Be an interesting next 24 hours

Cheesy
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #957 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:36:42 »

I wonder if Jimmy Fraser will be the assistant?

You wouldn't have thought he would leave a position as head of youth development to be a No 2.

Who was the coaches he and Franky boy worked with at Derby ?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:38:30 »

I would be surprised if Jimmy Fraser moved, he has done what he is doing now for quite a while and built a decent career through the ranks to get there.  He was part of three kids from my school team that made it to YTS at Swindon.  Oddly, the one that made it from my year professionally was nowhere near as good as those three, he went via Non-League and ended-up at Oxford - Wayne Hatswell.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: Wednesday, January 25, 2023, 12:39:10 »

Nothing is certain in football but I believe choosing Morris over Artell would be a big mistake. I think Artell would lead Swindon Town to promotion this season or next. Jody Morris might turn out to be a brilliant choice but he wouldn't have been a risk I'd have taken if I was in the boardroom.

Whoever is appointed is a risk surely, no managerial appointment comes without risk sadly, you can try and limit the risk by appointing an experienced manager but even then he may not work out etc
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: