Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 154294 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #690 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 12:01:48 »

Not sure I’m going to last 3 years
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #691 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 12:21:48 »

If Gunning gets the job it will be a massive own goal by the club, not for actually appointing Gunning or anything against him but because of the way it has been done by the club again.

In the summer we were told that the club did a comprehensive search that took weeks and Lindsey was the best candidate, I think it’s fair to say that the club were flexible with the truth saying that.

If we were to now appoint Gunning and claim he was the outstanding candidate then that would be an outright lie so it’s difficult to see how the club could spin his appointment whilst saving face. If that’s really the route they want to go down then they must really be hoping for a couple more wins on the bounce to minimise the fallout as I think questions would need to be asked about the footballing side of the club and where it is going.

That said it probably won’t be Gunning…
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #692 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 12:53:45 »

I must confess I had never bothered watching any of the interviews that Gunning had given, but finally watching one he comes across well and I quite like the bloke.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #693 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 13:10:38 »

All I know of Gunning is that he stands on touchline and comes across ok in press conferences

I neither like or dislike him..I hope none of my posts suggested otherwise.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #694 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 13:17:53 »

All I know of Gunning is that he stands on touchline and comes across ok in press conferences

I neither like or dislike him..I hope none of my posts suggested otherwise.

Yeah my annoyance wouldn't even be a reflection on him. It would be the actions of the board and the way they have goner about two appointments.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #695 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 13:30:01 »

exactly.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #696 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 13:43:53 »

So, are we saying that even if Gunning turns out to be successful the process that gave him the job was flawed.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #697 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 13:48:41 »

So, are we saying that even if Gunning turns out to be successful the process that gave him the job was flawed.

Of course that's possible - we could have a process of throwing names at a dartboard on a wall and it could by chance hit on Jurgen Klopp, but that doesn't mean it was a good process. Any appointment could work, any appointment could fail, but it doesn't exactly feel - from the outside, with limited and often incorrect information - like the current process is maximising our odds.
JanAirplaneMan

« Reply #698 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 13:50:04 »

I know the club and Sandro think very highly of Gunning, Sandro bought him in and they want him to stay for the long haul, but whether he is ready for the top job yet or not i don't know.. he seems a straight sort of guy and i know he has said on several occasions he doesn't feel ready so I would suspect its not his time this time.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #699 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 13:52:46 »

Is that part of the problem in appointing someone? Most managers want to choose their own first team assistant coach
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 14:01:55 »

Yes. Luck rather than judgement. Same process that shit the bed with Lindsey.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 14:15:48 »

Yeah my annoyance wouldn't even be a reflection on him. It would be the actions of the board and the way they have goner about two appointments.

I still think that the part of the Lindsey signing was a bit of brinkmanship with Charlton.

They all assumed he was going with Garner, but Charlton refused to pay the compensation so he came back.
You've then got two choices, sack him, pay him off and let him rock up at Charlton for free or employ him & assume Charlton will pay up.

He was on such a small wage at Swindon that the latter seemed like a palatable risk.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 15:23:55 »

Most managers want to choose their own first team assistant coach

And their own players, I wonder whether Clem apparently going over SL's head and signing Austin will have been a possible red flag for some of the more experienced possible applicants.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 15:41:13 »

All this we have only been looking for 2 weeks is crap surely, the club knew he was off to Crawley and just had to agree compo, they would have been drawing up their list and putting feelers out to see if those on the list would be interested in talking by sounding out their agent, then they speak to those on the short (long) list and make a decision.

Judging by the leaks it appears those on the short (long) list have been spoken to and you assume they are either not interested or Sandro & co don't think they are the right ones, so it seems from more leaks there are more names to add to the list, how long will it take to decide on someone, surely some of these were spoken to in the summer before SL was given the job so Sandro & co would know them.

There is 11 days of this transfer window, we need more players in to help us fight for promotion, 3rd place at the moment is looking available so we have to go for it, having a new head coach in place help to get them players over the line so they know who will be managing them.

Time is becoming critical, if they want to give it to Gunning then give it to him and watch the uproar after we lose a couple of games, this needs to be an outside appointment to galvanise both fans and boardroom.

That said I'd like to hear from Clem on his thoughts as he owns the club and the buck stops with him.

Someone go and put £10 on Mildy for the job to make him favourite then watch the FB kids page go into meltdown
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: Friday, January 20, 2023, 15:56:21 »

Get your point about the window but we just signed Jake Cain, so obviously the manager isn’t the only one involved in that side of things.

We could give the job to Pep and our fans would be in uproar when we lose a few games.

Not sure an outside appointment will galvanise fans either - why would it?
You only have to look at a page of this thread to see barely anyone agrees on anything.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: