Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 152967 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 15:59:01 »

This sounds like having a pop at the club, but most of the managers we've been linked to won't be in the running at most higher league clubs (e.g. Blackpool. and yes IMO). Maybe lower league clubs also go down the U23 type coach route - but surely we are competitive with them

Its the nature of the beast surely - the club just need to get on and appoint someone then we can go back to talking about on pitch events
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:04:00 »

The choice of what type of manager/head coach we will end up employing will depend on whether the club thinks Garner and Lindsey were seen as successful as far as the ‘model’ goes. A lot of people think Lindsey was on the brink of the sack - the faffing about seeking his replacement casts doubt on that.

I’m struggling to see how Lindsey thought a move to Crawley was a good move for him.

Had to expect he was heading towards the sack, even if it wasn't imminent. He can puff his chest out and say he took us to the brink of the play offs.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:23:04 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

I’m struggling to see how Lindsey thought a move to Crawley was a good move for him.

Neck on the line here.
Crawley over him a better deal.
presumably promised a good transfer budget

could get sacked from either here or there. one is going to give more in a payout..

all guess work. Maybe he hated working in the model. But I think Crawley have a similar model
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:25:26 »

could get sacked from either here or there. one is going to give more in a payout..

Seeing as he was already part way through his contract here, then they'll be giving more of a pay out even if the money is the same. Makes sense.
DMC

« Reply #514 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:39:56 »

Why FFS?

Wellens with less than a years experience at Oldham is literally the only manager with previous managerial experience to win anything, with Swindon since  I was a baby. You have to go back to the AI cup win in 1970 under Fred Ford to find any success under an "experienced" manager.

Sturrock managing to keep us in third place to get promotion from L2 with what was largely  Wise and Poyet's  team is the best anyone with "experience" has done other than that.

If you have to have experience then Garner is out of work, is a known quantity, knows the club, and is our only manager in the last decade to manage a full season with a win ratio over 45% with a record of P56, W28, D12, L16. (50%)

My only reasoning is the time of the appointment, if this was the same time as when Garner left i wouldn't mind a Foster or Rice type manager, i just think that the timing means we could do with just getting someone in to get straight into it and not have to get his ideas etc across like a newer manager does. Only my preference though and not saying it's the right way
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:41:32 »

Seeing as he was already part way through his contract here, then they'll be giving more of a pay out even if the money is the same. Makes sense.

He also doesn't have to commute to Wiltshire which probably helps.

..never go back.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:44:11 »

Foster is way more palatable than Rice based on their histories, in my opinion.
DMC

« Reply #517 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:47:03 »

Foster is way more palatable than Rice based on their histories, in my opinion.
Mine too, and pompeys
I JBZelieve We Will Win
JBZ reborn

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:49:07 »

The ongoing debate makes interesting reading. It's apparent that no-one has the foggiest idea of what is going on. I think that a win at the weekend will see Gunning announced as head coach soon after.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 16:51:39 »

Mine too, and pompeys

I see Nixon is suggesting that Portsmouth need to either piss or get off the pot.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 21:06:03 »

Bookies have reopened our manager odds.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 21:13:48 »

Bookies have reopened our manager odds.

Probably all guessing but some interesting notes there - Steve Morison out to 33/1 long shot (the same as Tony Pulis and Shezza!). Artell and Bircham joint favs at 5/4 and Cowley (!), Caddis, Hughton and Gunning at 8s. Rice, Dyer and Foster not listed.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 22:08:24 »

Latest News from NZ Herald

Just been notified Michael Appleton and David Kerslake will be approached by STFC as their new management team on a 4 year contract.
Based on this Blackpool have released Michael and David with immediate effect

MA commented, I am so excited to be considered to manage a club with huge potential and a fantastic financial budget.
DK stated, the supporters are great and never complain. Cant wait to get going. Simply fantastic.

Swindon are prepared to pay lots in compensation to get their dream team in.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 22:48:28 »

|*******************|
|*** NEWS ** FLASH ***|
|** Rice Is Town Coach **|

|*******************|

I always new they would look to previous appointments...Welcome...Mr Rice*  Hippy

*Thankfully nearly 10yrs out of date having one of McRoary the Tiger's Merry Convicts at the helm ~ 'I've got a hotel, so I've got some business acumen'

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 23:36:50 »

Probably all guessing but some interesting notes there - Steve Morison out to 33/1 long shot (the same as Tony Pulis and Shezza!). Artell and Bircham joint favs at 5/4 and Cowley (!), Caddis, Hughton and Gunning at 8s. Rice, Dyer and Foster not listed.

The ones that posted on here it’s Morison clearly been misinformed seeing as he’s 33/1…. Grim list of favourites that.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: