Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 106   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Proper Manager Thread - Sponsored by Audrey  (Read 152952 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:21:46 »

David Artell, Marc Bircham, Ian Foster, Kieran Dyer & Matt Taylor have been interviewed according to Ryan Whelen.
Wouldn’t fancy Bircham or Taylor out of those
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:22:27 »

I would LOVE Ian Foster to be appointed. Rob Edwards and Steve Cooper have both shown that there is something in the waters in the England youth managerial set up
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:22:59 »

David Artell, Marc Bircham, Ian Foster, Kieran Dyer & Matt Taylor have been interviewed according to Ryan Whelen.
And it will turn out that 'the best candidates all along' were Gunning and Mildenhall  Doh

The bloke's a Grade A bullshitter. Said it from day 1.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:25:32 »

Outside of Foster which I know precisely zero about, but a kids coach isn't exactly inspiring and more of the same......it Has to be Artell from that list.

It just fucking has to be or you must be insane.

As for Sandro. Being Crewe with no ambition might be ok if you have 4k at home every week but when 10k turn up painting that picture is outright disrespectful and taking the piss.

He needs to go, especially if this manager appointment isn't Artell from that list. What the fuck.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:28:58 »

This is going to be a divisive message on purpose:

On the football side, at what point in Clems tenure do we start to ask what direction the club is headed?
What's the plan?
If Power had pulled this we'd be close to riot.  
And yes, I realise we've not appointed a manager yet - so its a bit previous.

( The financial side, as far as we know, is a revelation and miles apart)

edit: seems Million Pound Man just asked this in a nicer way

Thing is, and being equally abrupt/divisive.

As it stands the club belongs to one bloke who is prepared to plough cash in until he is no longer prepared to do so or the club becomes self sufficient.

He could appoint Julian Alsop as manager and generally there is not a great deal that the supporters can do about it, yes they can boycott at which stage the owner decides a) to cut his losses and sell or b) ignore them. But simultaneously at that point the boycotting supporters have a choice stay away and basically give up on football or go and follow another team where you are guaranteed success.

Both sides need each other, but its not an equally weighted balance and one can rant as much as one likes on the interweb, getting the blood pressure up, buts going to change the square root of fuck all.

Setting that to one side, despite all the stuff about 'the project', even the development to sell model is falling flat on its arse at the moment, bar maybe Hutton to a degree, the other young players bought to develop (Darcy Wakeling etc) seem to be at best stagnating and possibly even going backwards, and whilst SL was generally considered to be a poor manger he ws apparently a good development coach, so that's failing as well.

Feck knows what Shandy has over the club, maybe its just that he is Kielys man and Kiely is the power (no pun intended) and cash behind Clem, but as it stands if someone is trying to make cash out of their investment (be it legitimately or nefariously) they are making a delightfully shit job of it.

Oh and can we please not go back to the heady days of fans slagging other fans off and using 'happy clappers' as some sort of insult to suggest that fan a is better than fan b, its shit and on a par with using woke as an insult.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:33:12 by horlock07 » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:29:06 »

Sandro really isn’t up to it is he? It must be rare for DoF to be a disliked as he is, usually they are out of the way and silent. He just sounds like a guy peddling his stats business rather than representing the club and you do have to wonder whether he’s more interested in stat padding himself than the fortunes of the club. I’d really like him to be got rid of to be honest.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:31:55 »

Outside of Foster which I know precisely zero about, but a kids coach isn't exactly inspiring and more of the same......it Has to be Artell from that list.

As for Sandro. Being Crewe with no ambition might be ok if you have 4k at home every week but when 10k turn up painting that picture is outright disrespectful and taking the piss.

He needs to go, especially if this manager appointment isn't Artell from that list. What the fuck.

To be fair I had never heard of Ian Foster before (Not that I have a deep football knowledge) but reading about his work, it's pretty impressive and I imagine given the standard of players he has helped to develop (Foden, Maddison, Conor Gallagher etc) it wouldn't surprise me if Sandro wasn't leaning towards him. He has history of managing in the Republic of Ireland (Not Waterford mind you) as well which seems to be 'au fait' with managers linked to our job.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ROKERITE

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:32:37 »

It Has to be Artell from that list.

I agree with this post.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:32:40 »

Personally I don’t see where all the hate comes from with regards to that interview. Fine, he could have said the club are aiming for promotion but I think a lot of the other things he said sounded reasonable. He didn’t directly answer some questions around ongoing transfer business but maybe that was deliberate as whatever he says enters the public domain and if we are highlighting the fact that we don’t have Brynn nailed down etc I don’t think that is very smart.
Mplanney

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:35:38 »

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:36:51 »

To be fair I had never heard of Ian Foster before (Not that I have a deep football knowledge) but reading about his work, it's pretty impressive and I imagine given the standard of players he has helped to develop (Foden, Maddison, Conor Gallagher etc) it wouldn't surprise me if Sandro wasn't leaning towards him. He has history of managing in the Republic of Ireland (Not Waterford mind you) as well which seems to be 'au fait' with managers linked to our job.

I don't disagree with any of what you say, but not sure how those who got upset about various rumoured appointments lack of experience etc would be able to square it with a straight face.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:37:49 »

Just had a similar conversation with Venks,

I don't want us to turn into Crewe. Play the right way. young squad. Happy to sell to keep the lights on. Winning promotion as a nice to have bonus.

Fuck that. Its not for me.

Said from day one and only time will tell.
Just have this ongoing doubt about purchasing the club at a low cost, become owners and sell it on for a tidy profit.

Maybe the cynical side of me and lack of trust in all things Swindon.
Been a basket case for years. We are a damaged goods fanbase and can you blame any of us.

Clubs pulling in a couple of thousand each week bringing in better players and doing better than us.

I know we all have pops at each other on here but we all love the same god (team).
Is it ever going to get better in my lifetime?

Now is a great chance to lift the spirits and hope - 2 recent Managers, 2 compensation pay outs.
Over to you Clem and show some intent.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:39:09 »

To add some more points for the Foster column:
Was Paul Cooks first team coach at Portsmouth when he got promoted from league two, so has some know how on how to get out of this division.
Brought through likes of Maddison at Coventry.
Worked with Steve Cooper when England under 17s won the world cup
Impressive win rate as England youth manager, which has bode well for likes of Steve Cooper and Rob Edwards in recent seasons.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:40:46 »

the plan, the model, the philosophy. whatever name he wants to call it.

DOES NOT WORK IN LEAGUE 2. there are no transfer fees worth it to make it happen. league 1 yes. £5 million for scott twine shows that.  

Crewe have proven that it can work at any level and Brentford are the prime example at a higher level.  The model itself is fine, the key ingredient is the level of investment.  Crewe invested in their Academy, think they spend a fair bit of money to keep them at an Elite rating, which attracts some talent that would otherwise go higher up the food chain (league wise).

Brentford are the extreme at the other end, they invested heavily in the talent, so while they are still looking to extract higher levels of performance than their investment should return (when not using the model), the level of talent they purchase is clearly quite high already.

My problem with our approach is we haven't invested in anything yet.  The infrastructure to do a Crewe isn't even there, and we are not dabbling in a high enough talent pool either.  You need to invest in getting us higher quickly, so the talent pool we can go after gets better - so the base from which we implement the plan is higher than Crewe can achieve.

On top of that, the person running it does not appear to be someone with any experience of note.  He'd be the sort of person you'd bring in within the Analysts team, even running it.  Less than 6 months working for what looks like a mates team (his mate is Whealen's Grandson) doesn't cut it for me, not to go all in on anyway.  I presume Alexander knows Chris Kiely through the horse racing/Skybet period of his life?

I actually think Garner would be a good fit for that role - but he won't take it because Manager is seen as more prestigious.

Head Coach wise, Artel would seem to be a good fit.  He does indeed have experience with Crewe, but if you think we could actually do it with more investment behind it, then he gets a better chance to make it work a level up.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 12:45:54 »

Thing is, and being equally abrupt/divisive.

As it stands the club belongs to one bloke who is prepared to plough cash in until he is no longer prepared to do so or the club becomes self sufficient.

He could appoint Julian Alsop as manager and generally there is not a great deal that the supporters can do about it, yes they can boycott at which stage the owner decides a) to cut his losses and sell or b) ignore them. But simultaneously at that point the boycotting supporters have a choice stay away and basically give up on football or go and follow another team where you are guaranteed success.

Both sides need each other, but its not an equally weighted balance and one can rant as much as one likes on the interweb, getting the blood pressure up, buts going to change the square root of fuck all.

Setting that to one side, despite all the stuff about 'the project', even the development to sell model is falling flat on its arse at the moment, bar maybe Hutton to a degree, the other young players bought to develop (Darcy Wakeling etc) seem to be at best stagnating and possibly even going backwards, and whilst SL was generally considered to be a poor manger he ws apparently a good development coach, so that's failing as well.

Feck knows what Shandy has over the club, maybe its just that he is Kielys man and Kiely is the power (no pun intended) and cash behind Clem, but as it stands if someone is trying to make cash out of their investment (be it legitimately or nefariously) they are making a delightfully shit job of it.

Oh and can we please not go back to the heady days of fans slagging other fans off and using 'happy clappers' as some sort of insult to suggest that fan a is better than fan b, its shit and on a par with using woke as an insult.

This is defeatist for me. At the end of the day there is give and take between owner and fans.

Yes, he owns the club, but the fans have unequivocally backed the club since Clem came on board. Averaged about 9,500 home fans, kits and merchandise constantly sold out. That brings a certain level of expectations. If we were literally Crewe with 4k in div 4 then things might be different, you have no right to expect more. But we're not. We've done our part and now we're more than entitled.

We've been asked to back the team and we have. Now fucking back us for fuck sake.

And as for calling people happy clappers, I'll continue on thanks if its all the same.

As long as there is a section of fans that will never hear a warranted negative word spoke against anything and bury their heads in the sand with toxic positivity, spouting drivel like telling people not to complain about a very obvious dire appointment in Scott Lindsey because "he's a nice guy and he loves the club" and "at least we have a club" then I'll continue to call them happy clappers and call them out on speaking absolute dog shite.

At the end of the day if we appoint Gunning or Bircham and fall out negativity bothers you, then the happy clapper tag is more than warranted and I'll give you another overused phrase..... snowflake.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 106   Go Up
Print
Jump to: