Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lindsey gone  (Read 59302 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #780 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 21:24:53 »

What I am saying is that I dont think that there is any one that will unite the fanbase

First, I very much doubt the fanbase is fractured - 8k to 9k still turning out every match.  Lindsey was irritated by getting some bad vibes and poor twitter/FB comments, which is a handful of idiots.

Second, they don't need to unite anyone anyway, they just need to be able to make us competitive for the promotion spots.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 21:25:59 »

Surely David Artell if claimed to be in the mix is the one.

Beat Wellens to the manager of the year award in our promotion year ( so reported)

Currently available... only trouble is that he seemed to apply for the job via the media.

Welcome back DOB.. Hope all is OK.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 21:33:01 »

As an aside, I know we have been basket case manager wise, but how many EFL clubs do you think have had their manager for more than 2 years?

answer in link

https://www.efl.com/news/managers-table/
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 21:58:02 »

What I am saying is that I dont think that there is any one that will unite the fanbase

No one will ever get 100% of people happy, but that's a bit different. If we appoint Artell or Hughton you'll get a few people going meh but most people will say fair enough, let's crack on.

Gunning will be a giant angry melt down and justifiably so. If its Bircham it'll be a melt down too but just a confused one as to why the fuck we've gone down that route.

We can't excuse shit appointments with the attitude of "well people will be unhappy no matter who it is"

That's bollocks.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 21:58:13 »

As an aside, I know we have been basket case manager wise, but how many EFL clubs do you think have had their manager for more than 2 years?

answer in link

https://www.efl.com/news/managers-table/

It's nice to see pompey as the only other team needing a manger. Not much competition and plenty of applications. If we could make sure we read them all this time and appoint the best
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #785 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 21:59:11 »

Given its mid season is it really to much to ask to get someone with a little bit of relevant experience in rather than a punt?

Swindon Managers with no previous managerial / coaching expert in my time

Macari,
Ardiles,
Hoddle,
Macmahon
Onoura
Wise,
Di Canio

Managers with previous management roles:

Quinn,
Todd,
King,
Evans,
Sturrock,
Malpas,
Wilson,
Hart,
Macdonald,
Ling,
Williams,
Flitcroft,
Brown,
Wellens,
Sheridan,
Garner,
Lindsey

The most experienced on that second list, with several previous clubs in their CVs have presided over some  of the worst periods in our clubs history.

Bar the 69 League cup win all the club's highlights have been under managers that have never managed or even coached anywhere before. All the successes had a clear vision of how they wanted their team to play and built sides to play that way and had the profile to get their way.

Going down the "get in an experienced lower league manager" road hasn't worked for us the overwhelming majority of the time. Wellens was successful. Sturrock got us promotion just about in a season Wise and Poyet had started like world beaters. The rest I'm pretty sure did fuck all for us. A good few of them were loathed by the fans.

Anyone we appoint is a punt. Asking for someone experienced doesn't seem to change that. It might make you feel better but the historical evidence at our club is they do not just no better but a whole load fucking worse.

..never go back.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 22:05:40 »

Wait a minute...

If correct and there are plenty of experienced managers available. How the fuck do STFC get rid of a none performing one like Scott Lindsey and get a compensation fee for him as well  !!!

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 22:06:21 »

Macari,
Ardiles,
Hoddle,
Macmahon
Onoura*
Wise,
Di Canio
Iffy, missed Quinn, must be others that were crap ..

But the rest of your list were top players. They don't go straight to lower league teams these days. They go to the championship.

So the comparison falls apart
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 22:07:13 »

What a way to make a recurring revenue stream.... Sad
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #789 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 22:10:36 »

But the rest of your list were top players. They don't go straight to lower league teams these days. They go to the championship.

The good thing about top players is that they are often taught by the best and have contacts with the best clubs. A lower league former player compared to a premier league former player is massive in my eyes. Experience doesn't have to mean Management experience but experience at the top level is what those players in the top list have.

There is no guarantee, we have shown that but a young exciting former high level player is exciting compared to a player that has only ever played league 2 or below
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 22:12:44 »

I agree with that iiifffy.

I'm saying we won't get one again! top player that is.

might get a coach. But they've not worked out either. Lindsey, MacDonald, Williams, who have I forgotten
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 22:19:59 »

It's not my list it's everyone except caretakers that have managed us in my time (excluding the 2 games I went to in the Beamish season pre Lou).

My point isn't that we should appoint Gareth Bale (although FUCK YES!) but that appointing from the second list of usual suspect, managing league clubs for  a decade types has been absolutely no guarantee of quality or success.

So getting annoyed if the club appoint someone with a decent coaching pedigree, but no experience as a No1 anywhere seems a bit daft, as  our history with those with a managerial record in the last 30 years or more is almost entirely fucking miserable.

..never go back.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 23:57:57 »

John fucking Terry, jesus wept?Huh?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: Thursday, January 12, 2023, 07:20:27 »

Chris Wilder, too.

Don’t we need a proper Manager Thread instead of tagging it on to this Lindsey Gone one
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 [53]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: