Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lindsey gone  (Read 63760 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:15:40 »

all fair points Bob.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:15:58 »

I might be in the minority here but I'd rather see the model that was implemented by the club be given a good period of time to (hopefully) bear fruit. I completely get the doubts about the data driven model but if that's how the hierarchy see our path then I think we need to at least let it bed in before ripping it up and going down another road.

It's only really 6 months into that journey and of course it's not perfect but there are signs that we are looking to try and implement some stability into the squad. Long contracts for talented younger players is a great sign. Unfortunately this season on the pitch has been mainly turgid, but for me that's on Scott Lindsey who despite promising attacking football through the thirds appears to have become really bogged down with possession football in the 'wrong' areas and pointless stats. (the old favourite 'box entries)

I'm willing to see what happens in January with the next manager and recruitment of players. It would be nice to see a bit of stability, across all aspects of the football club.
If there was anyone involved with an ounce of credibility in footballing terms I’d agree and look to give it time. But between Sandro, Clem and Angus there’s next to no real football experience in the club’s hierarchy and I don’t really trust them to make the right footballing decisions which undermines the whole model.

Also is it all too much too soon? Do we actually have the critical infrastructure (training ground, coaching depth, academy etc) to really make this work currently? Shouldn’t it be a steady build up rather than lurching to this approach all in one go? It feels like we put all our eggs in one basket based on nothing but hope as other than 6 months at Wigan there’s very little else to support such faith being given to Sandro. Also our supporters won’t and shouldn’t accept being a middling league 2 club whilst this approach matures, doing this as an established league 1 club would be much more acceptable to most.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:17:12 »

Maybe the ‘model’ is a crock of shit.

Taking a step back.
Once again the club had a major rebuild pre-season. It is not “towards the top end” at the present moment in time when it comes to contractual offers.

There is very little money around in the lower leagues, however without doubt you need a quality manager / coach to make the “model” a success.
Lindsey was feeling the pressure from the fanbase for sure, now you could argue it’s part of the territory but my opinion and most it was a massive gamble appointment in the first place that was wrong.
From Lindsey’s perspective though he found it frustrating that Swindon in his eyes “we’re doing well” whilst all around him the message was not good enough.

Crawley were interested before we played them, paying absolutely ridiculous money to Betsy when he was the Manager. Has had his head turned for sure but only opinion I think the pressure at Swindon a major factor to have a chance of bailing out.
Who honestly goes to Crawley? Dion Conroy / Dom Telford for an incredible amount of money that they would struggle to get in League One, let alone League Two.

Can only hope the announcement of our new Manager is not like the last one, the wrong one and the time it took to get over the line “the first choice.”

The hope and Swindon Town that continues to kill us all.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:21:25 »

Anyone heard anything about us approaching Northampton to speak to Brady? Seen a few whispers but unsure how accurate or likely it is.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:21:46 »

Hughton always seemed like a strange fit, but it's a bit of a worry that managers keep meeting our hierarchy and then withdrawing their interest afterwards (if we believe it happened several times in the summer as well).
But he was never a realistic target.  We could never afford him or the budget he would require.

Do you want to come to work for us for a 90% pay cut and a mid table playing budget?  Er no!  I'm 64 I'll retire or wait for better offer
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:27:29 by Pookemon » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:27:20 »

If there was anyone involved with an ounce of credibility in footballing terms I’d agree and look to give it time. But between Sandro, Clem and Angus there’s next to no real football experience in the club’s hierarchy and I don’t really trust them to make the right footballing decisions which undermines the whole model.

Also is it all too much too soon? Do we actually have the critical infrastructure (training ground, coaching depth, academy etc) to really make this work currently? Shouldn’t it be a steady build up rather than lurching to this approach all in one go? It feels like we put all our eggs in one basket based on nothing but hope as other than 6 months at Wigan there’s very little else to support such faith being given to Sandro. Also our supporters won’t and shouldn’t accept being a middling league 2 club whilst this approach matures, doing this as an established league 1 club would be much more acceptable to most.

Couldn't really argue against those points you've made and I completely understand concerns. In Clem, Angus and Sandro they are very wet behind the ears in football experience terms for sure. However the 6 months that Sandro was at Wigan was a massive success and whilst I don't think you can necessarily use it as a blueprint for guaranteed success, (and I am sure other factors were at play) it would also be foolhardy to dismiss it out of hand as some kind of fluke.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:33:07 »

the model only works if the head coach is competent and in sync with a competent  DOF. If the model was easy, then every team would do it.

I'd like to see Sandro go and replaced with an executive with a strong football background to lead/support Clem/RA a bit in terms of football operations, long term strategy and staff recruitment - we seem really naive there..  but staying clear on  data driven models or deciding what players to buy , and of course support a good coach/manager. We need to get back to walking before running

Rather than technical directors and head coaches and all this new system, I much prefer the old one. Simply because its very clear. The buck stops with the manager.

We used to have people that would be in charge of identifying players under the old system, they were called a Chief Scout. It seems Technical Director/DoF sign players irrespective of the 'Head Coach' sometimes and takes more of what used to be the Managers role and relegate the Head Coach to more of what an assistant would do previously.

But its the 'Head Coach' that gets the sack when it goes tits up.

I've never been totally comfortable with it.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:34:20 »

I might be in the minority here but I'd rather see the model that was implemented by the club be given a good period of time to (hopefully) bear fruit. I completely get the doubts about the data driven model but if that's how the hierarchy see our path then I think we need to at least let it bed in before ripping it up and going down another road.

It's only really 6 months into that journey and of course it's not perfect but there are signs that we are looking to try and implement some stability into the squad. Long contracts for talented younger players is a great sign. Unfortunately this season on the pitch has been mainly turgid, but for me that's on Scott Lindsey who despite promising attacking football through the thirds appears to have become really bogged down with possession football in the 'wrong' areas and pointless stats. (the old favourite 'box entries')

I'm willing to see what happens in January with the next manager and recruitment of players. It would be nice to see a bit of stability, across all aspects of the football club. I'd like to give Sandro and team longer. That said I didn't like his statement about development of players being more important than points on the pitch, that was tone deaf.

If we are going to continue to have 2 managers a year then we have to have continuity behind the scenes.

I've no idea if the recruitment team in place are any good and willing to give them time but selling players for a profit happens more often and for bigger numbers when the team are playing well and winning.

Good player development and coaching is clearly a necessity but the priority must be about winning football matches.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:37:42 by Pookemon » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:34:56 »

it's official.

he's gone to Crawley as has day

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2023/january/club-statement-scott-lindsey-and-jamie-day-depart/
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #594 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:37:18 »

Time to move on and get the new man in.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:38:05 »

Its all a bit gushing really. At least Clem has clarified media black out.

Club Owner, Clem Morfuni, added: “We’d like to take this opportunity to thank our fans for their continued support and patience during the last week or so, and we know they will get behind Steve, Gavin and our players in the short term.

“Due to legal protocols, we have been unable to provide comment or respond to questions regarding the futures of both Scott and Jamie, and have chosen not to post on our social media channels until we had an update on this matter and could move forward.

“Our prime aim is now focused on bringing in a new Head Coach who shares the same drive, ambition, vision and values as we do in order to drive us forward, with promotion this season very much still our intended target.”

Fingers crossed on 'bringing in'
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #596 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:38:13 »

Swindon Town can confirm both First-Team Head Coach, Scott Lindsey, and assistant Jamie Day, have left the club to join Crawley Town.

Lindsey was appointed Head Coach at The County Ground back in June last year, making the step up from assistant.

During his spell in the hotseat, Scott guided Town to the play-off places in EFL Sky Bet League Two, playing a key role in the development of young players, with our identity, vision and values at the heart of everything he did.

Everyone here at the football club would like to express their sincere thanks to Scott and Jamie for their commitment and hard work during their time here, and wish them all the best in their next venture.

Gavin Gunning and Steve Mildenhall will take charge of the first-team on an interim head coach basis, with work continuing behind the scenes to appoint our new Head Coach.

Town Technical Director, Sandro Di Michele, said: “I’d like to place on record my gratitude to Scott and Jamie for their hard work and dedication during their time with us.

“They leave us in a healthy position in the League Two table and have helped develop a squad of young players capable of competing with the very best sides in this division.

“I would like to wish them all the best as they embark on the next chapters in their careers at Crawley.”

Club Owner, Clem Morfuni, added: “We’d like to take this opportunity to thank our fans for their continued support and patience during the last week or so, and we know they will get behind Steve, Gavin and our players in the short term.

“Due to legal protocols, we have been unable to provide comment or respond to questions regarding the futures of both Scott and Jamie, and have chosen not to post on our social media channels until we had an update on this matter and could move forward.

“Our prime aim is now focused on bringing in a new Head Coach who shares the same drive, ambition, vision and values as we do in order to drive us forward, with promotion this season very much still our intended target.”

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:42:48 »

I have to say that's a very classy statement, I don't think I'd have been able to resist reproducing a few quotes about owing the club something before leaving after five months.

Still, I think this is the right outcome regardless of how it happened. The next appointment is crucial, and needs to come swiftly.
DMC

« Reply #598 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:42:58 »

Hughton is a no. Talks broke down
Not saying that it's going to happen but the tweet was not true.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2023, 12:44:08 »

Something about Alexander Ralph William Di Michelle (full name provided as it makes me smirk for some reason given he takes Sandro and then is known as Shandy) just doesn't sit right with me.

Did he really have any real impact at Wigan?
Did he get the job because he knows the right man from horse racing?

Overall, we have none of what is needed to support the clubs stated aims in place.  None of the hard infrastructure has been invested in ahead of moving to the model.  The people recruited seems to have been limited in both number and experience.  Even the players, the last cog in the wheel, seems all pver the shop.

Hopefully my thoughts are all bollocks though and we recruit someone here who recruits five or so players that push us over the top.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: