Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Wombles of Wimbledon  (Read 16116 times)
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Saturday, December 10, 2022, 21:52:38 »

In 23 games (21 league + 2 proper cup) we've scored 2+ only 4 times.

We cannot create chances for shit.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Saturday, December 10, 2022, 22:16:12 »

In 23 games (21 league + 2 proper cup) we've scored 2+ only 4 times.

We cannot create chances for shit.
We can't create shit chances either.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 09:20:03 »

Expected a defeat.
Still, a point could be crucial in the battle for a top 10 finish.

Three consecutive failures to trouble the goals for column. Not good.
It's snowing here but I suspect that not many of us are walking in a Lindsey Wonderland at this moment in time.

Methinks that Williams should be playing in the no 10 role and not out wide.
The play perked up in the second half on the occasions that he dropped into centre midfield to pick the ball up.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 09:36:48 »

My son was mentioning that Lindsey had said on the radio about trimming the squad.

That’s a bit concerning as looking at yesterday we had 1 (Hutton) of our first choice back four playing in their preferred position (FBT) is our left back.

We don’t have a backup keeper.

We were missing two of our starting midfield players (Khan & Gladwin) but because we have depth there we could cover it with Reed, Darcy & Iandolo but didn’t leave us with much on the bench.

Our first choice striker was also missing, but we have cover in Wakeling.

There are a couple of fringe players that we could lose (Adeloye & Aguiar spring to mind) but feels like we need more players in to just stand still let alone kick on.

January is going to decide whether we’re a mid table team or are going to challenge for the top 7
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 10:07:26 »

As I pointed out in the Crawley thread the other day, we have 29 contracted pros including loans - we have a lot of numbers, just not in a balanced way.

Brann, Minturn, Roberts, Parsons, Cowmeadow, Devine, Dabre, Harries, Aguiar, Massey, Adeloye and Hepburn-Murphy is 11 of our 29 and hardly any of them have played more than the odd cameo.

We have a bit of an injury crisis at the moment, and don't seem to be reaching into this group very much.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #200 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 12:15:04 »

This is not a "happy clapping" post but just to put it into context with last season.

Currently we sit in 8th place with 32 points after the first 21 games, we have scored 24 goals and conceded 21.

Last season after 21 games we were 7th on 34 points having scored 29 and conceded 24.

Of the promoted sides after 21 games .....

FGR were 1st on 44 points, Port Vale 5th on 35 points, Exeter 8th on 33 points, Rovers were 17th on 26 points.

There is still all to play for but we need bodies badly to compete for places/strengthen the team.

The team as it stands is bang average with a few poor players and a few very good players, we need to remove the deadwood and get in players who can compete now and not just be a possible future star by taking a risk on signing them.

I didn't hear Lindsey pre game saying he wanted to "trim the squad" but if thats true then we are going to struggle to be even mid table this year with the amount of injuries we are suffering.

Keep playing that style of football and the crowd will stop coming in the numbers they are, Clem has rode the crest of a lot of the goodwill but that could well stop if the performances carry on in such a poor vein.

We just don't seem to be creating the clear cut cances we were last year even, but for me the main difference was that we had a livewire in McKirdy who could create chances and goals out of absolutely nothing and Simpson had grabbed 10 goals too at the same point, whereas Wakeling and Jephcott have only got 10 goals between them. Its also telling that McKirdy is still our 4th highest goal scorer this season and he only played 3 games!

And no I am not advocating getting him back as whats in the past has gone but he was a true creative attacker, something we don't seem to have this season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 12:17:29 »

Agree we're in a similar position to last season at the same point. But last season we'd pulled a squad together last minute and the club's stated ambition was staying in the football league. This year Lindsey, MacDonald and others were happy to say from Day One that the goal was promotion. The club set the expectations, I don't think it's unreasonable that fans are a bit itchy about them not being delivered. It's not beyond saving though.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #202 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 12:20:05 »

Agree we're in a similar position to last season at the same point. But last season we'd pulled a squad together last minute and the club's stated ambition was staying in the football league. This year Lindsey, MacDonald and others were happy to say from Day One that the goal was promotion. The club set the expectations, I don't think it's unreasonable that fans are a bit itchy about them not being delivered. It's not beyond saving though.
Absolutely its still got a great chance but if we are "trimming the squad" then it wont happen, for certain.

Scoring goals is the problem blatantly. Also the style of play does not endear fans to the management at the moment, although the game at Mansfield was a great performance which makes the results since then seem all the worse.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 12:30:39 »

Amazing that 8,500 turned up after a string of listless performances and the weather being arctic.

Don’t know how long that will last if things don’t change.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 12:34:02 »

That was a great attendance considering how cold it is and how expensive everything is plus on top of Xmas etc

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 14:01:22 »

It shows what can be done from this position Venks. But we had to put a monumental run together at the end of the season. Can lightening strike twice.

Far too many injuries, a transfer window and a lot of points to go to know how it will end

clearly things aren't great right now
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 14:19:21 »

The comparison shouldn't be last season - that's what we achieve when our backs are against the wall.  It should be the Wellens season, that's what we should be expecting as a club with the right backing and preparation.  In 2019 after 21 games we were top with 42 points, scoring 37 and conceding 22 with 13 wins.

Sorry, there isn't a time period in our history where we should be "happy", or even close, with being in with a shout of the play offs.

I'd be hunting down two wide attacking players right now - get Williams in at 10 and Jephcott/Wakeling up top.  Those two signings could at least provide the attacking impetus we so badly miss right now.  I'd actually take an entire squad overhaul, but that is unrealistic.  We need to copy that Wellens season now - it was evident we were trying to do it yesterday but do not have the players.  Stick Isgrove and Yates into the team from yesterday for Shade and Iandolo/Darcy and we create more.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 14:56:38 »

Should we have had a penalty as I haven't seen the incident.

« Last Edit: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 16:16:45 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 15:16:57 »

No
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Sunday, December 11, 2022, 15:23:51 »

Cheers Robert.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up