Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby Town vs Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 16472 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:28:26 »

I think that's the best half I've seen us play all season, and we've done without our two best players on paper. Very pleased with that.

Gladwin is having a stormer. We all know he's not the most mobile (but definitely better this season), but his ball control and vision is just so much better than League Tow standard. He's a quarterback, and he's been terrific so far.

Props too for Wakeling, who is an absolute nuisance and an excellent defender, helping out Hutton plenty and allowing him to shine too. Almost the opposite situation on the other side, where Shade - despite occasionally being a defender - is offering FBT far less cover and Grimsby have had more luck down that side as a result. FBT has been our target man from set plays though and done an excellent job of that. In the middle, Khan is having a good game and doing all Gladwin's running for him. Darcy the weakest of the three but by no means doing poorly.

Their goal was mostly bad luck in terms of deflections, no huge individual or system error there. Our goals were well worked. Really pleased to see our progress and excited for the second half.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:28:32 »

reasonably enjoyable first half.

we've played quite well but there have been a couple of danger signs down our left

but it's a game two halves Saint.

shame they are still in it with a fortunate equaliser
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:29:00 »

Good half Town👍
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:29:11 »

Good ball from Hutton, he spotted the pass to Gladwin well. Gladwin is such a different player this year…. And cam from Darcy to finish it off. Good move. Let’s get ourselves a cushion, and bring RHM on to run them ragged at the end.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:29:45 »

He seems to want to play the game at a different pace to the rest of the team

There's talent there for sure, but he looks like a player whose just arrived on loan or something - on a different wavelength to the rest of the team as you say. A rough diamond, for now at least I think he's a better option off the bench against tired legs when we have Williams around as an option.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:30:10 »

Great half.  Hope they keep being aggressive and attacking a apparently poor back line for grim
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:31:17 »

A million miles away from the turgid shit of just a few weeks ago. Impressive stuff.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:31:19 »

Wakeling is a revelation. Gladwin,on this form has few equals at this level.Darcy showing great maturity but Khan,for me,outstanding making light of Reed's absence.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:33:12 »

We look considerably better without Reed.

Last year we were lost without him.

Khan can at least drive forward or swivel on it when there’s not much on.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:34:01 »

I haven't seen the reason why, but Khan can have the deeper midfield role for the rest of the season on that half.  We are not using Reed well at all this season but Khan fits what we need there so much more effectively.

Gladwin is a Rolls Royce on the ball today, although he is also an Austin Maestro tracking runners.  One of his best performances for us, like Vale away in the league game last season.

Shade is a nothing player based on what I have seen so far this season amd today reinforces that.  Jephcott and Wakeling look very good together though.  Almost Doyle and Yates like.

Overall that's the best half I have seen from us this season.  Still some wrinkles defending runs and balls down the sides, bit looking a threat on the ball.  Still keeping possession at times but it seems to be done to get control when needed and then mixed with some intent.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:34:51 »

Gladys once again looking absolute mustard. So calm on the ball. As is Khan.

Shade needs to take note - he clearly thinks highly of his own ability and wants to prove it, but in doing so has been a liability. He beat the Grims right back brilliantly early in the half and had a simple lay-off to Darcy who had time and space for a free shot on goal, but of course had to do it himself. Very frustrating. Less said the better about his defensive support down our left.

Town looking decent overall though. jephcott finding the ball falling to him in the box a lot at the start of the half and getting shots away, is very encouraging. Wakeling lively too in defence and attack.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:35:12 »

I feel compelled to post....Not sure whether it's just because the midweek game was so poor, but that first half was superb. The only frustration being that we are always capable of making a mistake at the back

Jephcott and Wakeling scaring them to death up front. Hutton played his best 1/2 in a Town shirt for me. Gladwin showed that he is better without Williams in the team. Khan winning everything in midfield.

Thought the players showed that they have built an understanding with eachother.

Let's hope we go on to win this.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #132 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:35:48 »

The main difference today is that we are putting crosses into the box far more than we have recently, and its paying off, Jephcott is a natural finisher and will score for fun with the right service.

I always knew Wakeling could play the wide striker role well, hes almost a carbon copy of Yates, same build, pace, finishing.

Khan proving that we don't need to rely on Reed any more.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:36:36 »

Just a snippet from the Grimsby Forum

Crikey that was a tough watch. We've been miles off but fair play to Swindon, by far the best team we've played so far.

So, give no fucks
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, September 24, 2022, 14:38:23 »

The way jephcott holds off defenders makes me hard
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: