Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 37715 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:37:14 »

The coppers used to be a bit more "involved" back then too   Smiley
Rarely see dogs and truncheon used these days.
Lardy Cake

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:48:36 »

It’s the threat of being bricked that pumps the adrenaline! The only game I can remember with bricks being thrown inside the CG was the league cup game v Millwall.

Now that was an atmosphere!
I have absolutely no idea when it was but I can remember bricks and large lumps of concrete being hurled over the segregation fence between the Shrivy Road and the Stratton Bank by Bournmuff fans. All that came our way was promptly thrown back. Quite a few were injured that day.
 The Town End atmosphere in the seventies and eighties was quite something, what ever happened to "knees up mother brown" ? I can remember playing Liverpool one night and it was so tightly packed you could not go anywhere so we were rolling up the match day programme and pissing in them. The heat being generated by so many tightly packed fans meant condensation was running down the cold roof and landing on our heads. By the end of the game we were all soaked for one reason or another. Happy days !!!

"Still to find and still to follow. Joy in every hill and hollow. Company in solitude".
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 11:50:38 »

I think that the TE seats were in the process of going in when the 1990-91 season started.
Remember a packed Stratton Bank for the first home game v Ipswich I think.

The TE was then given over to away fans, at least for the first few home games if hazy memory is correct.

No reason why the more vocal gathering of fans can't be more proactive than reactive in their support.

Might even make those in the DRS who spend most of the game talking about rounds of golf & the upcoming PL fixtures take notice.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #468 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 12:04:55 »

I have absolutely no idea when it was but I can remember bricks and large lumps of concrete being hurled over the segregation fence between the Shrivy Road and the Stratton Bank by Bournmuff fans. All that came our way was promptly thrown back. Quite a few were injured that day.
 The Town End atmosphere in the seventies and eighties was quite something, what ever happened to "knees up mother brown" ? I can remember playing Liverpool one night and it was so tightly packed you could not go anywhere so we were rolling up the match day programme and pissing in them. The heat being generated by so many tightly packed fans meant condensation was running down the cold roof and landing on our heads. By the end of the game we were all soaked for one reason or another. Happy days !!!
The Liverpool game was 1970! thats going back a bit.

My Brother in law was a copper on duty on the bank that day and spent 2 days in hospital after being hit on the head by a brick thrown by Bournemouth fans, some of the worst violence I have ever witnessed inside the CG.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Maidenhead Red

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 12:36:32 »

Beating Bristol City in 2014 was special

Was that the 2-1 on a Friday night?

Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Green83
Maidenhead Red

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 12:39:58 »

Was that the 2-1 on a Friday night?

Just checked, it was not. I'm thinking of 2005!!

Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Green83
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 14:03:17 »

Remember those days well,  especially - think it was 69/70 season we played Leeds, the builders has  been in and bulldozed the old supporters club which used to be just opposite where the burger van now stands outside the town end, the rubble was just left in neat piles ready to be taken away.  Big mistake,  Leeds fans saved them a job ! They soon made use of the bricks using us as targets, would never happen these days !.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 14:12:27 »

The coppers used to be a bit more "involved" back then too   Smiley
Rarely see dogs and truncheon used these days.
Dont think they would be allowed to carry them on the pitch these days, opposition players would probably have something to say about it if they did.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 14:34:15 »

Thankfully not much of a police presence in grounds at L2 level these days.

The 2 pitch invaders on Tuesday were dealt with by the stewards.
One of them had a good turn of pace but ran out of ideas & easily collared in the end.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 15:03:42 »

just trying to think of the last 'mass' trouble I saw.

PV pitch invasion, though that was just a handful that actually threw stuff.

Stoke Harvester got a glass throwing when we played them in the cup.

(I can see a link)

mercifully very rare these days
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 15:20:00 »

Leicester in the Cup?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 18:11:46 »

1987 over the Easter week end when the County ground was packed to the rafters but the crowd was only given as 16,400

So, give no fucks
Lardy Cake

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 19:46:40 »

Thanks Jimmy. The Town End looks absolutely rammed in that footage.

"Still to find and still to follow. Joy in every hill and hollow. Company in solitude".
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 19:48:20 »

Thanks Jimmy. The Town End looks absolutely rammed in that footage.

I remember the game well it was a hot Easter Saturday and the County ground was rocking

So, give no fucks
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Friday, October 7, 2022, 20:32:50 »

I remember the game well it was a hot Easter Saturday and the County ground was rocking

If I remember rightly a coach load of Bournemouth fans stopped in Devizes on the way to the game & caused some trouble
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: