Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 37698 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:20:50 »

Perhaps ask yourself who you think needs to chill?  Mildly questioning the widespread cancellation of sport on a football forum doesn't really need to be so shot down.

I'm all for respect, it was just the uneven application of it that I was questioning.  No outrage there.

So I was interested to learn, calmly, from Venks, that some comedy gigs were being cancelled.

And then to learn, less calmly tbf, about the valid angle from our already beleaguered emergency services' point of view.

Hopefully Premiership Rugby and the O2 hosting the  Shields:Marshall fight will also come on board.

As stated in my post, the people need to chill are those that are outraged by the postponement on Social media (specifically twitter).  If you think my post was aimed at you, then you are barking up the wrong tree.  I responded to your question, calmly, in the first line.

Do I get from your post that you feel that I was being less than calm in my point of view over the emergency services.  I would love to know where you feel I expressed my view less calmly..
« Last Edit: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:31:17 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:25:37 »

Perhaps ask yourself who you think needs to chill?  Mildly questioning the widespread cancellation of sport on a football forum doesn't really need to be so shot down.

I'm all for respect, it was just the uneven application of it that I was questioning.  No outrage there.

So I was interested to learn, calmly, from Venks, that some comedy gigs were being cancelled.

And then to learn, less calmly tbf, about the valid angle from our already beleaguered emergency services' point of view.

Hopefully Premiership Rugby and the O2 hosting the  Shields:Marshall fight will also come on board.

Sheilds and Marshall been postponed
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:29:25 »

Sheilds and Marshall been postponed
So just the Premiership egg chasers  Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:31:00 »

So just the Premiership egg chasers  Hmmm
+ the cricket
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:33:10 »

Cricket has already gone I think, cancelled rather than postponed.

Just out of interest, what sort of crowds do they get at an average Premiership rugby game, I really have no clue..  I know it depends on the teams etc..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:39:04 »

Cricket didn't play today, but will play at the weekend.

Prem Rugby crowds can be pretty large, Welford Road (Leics Tigers) holds 25k and can fill up. Kingsholm (Gloucs) 16k, Bristol play at and occasionally sell out Ashton Gate. At least equivalent to Championship football. Policing difference will be the lack of segregation though, I assume the number of police (deemed to be) required is far fewer than an equivalent football crowd.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 13:45:51 »

Cricket didn't play today, but will play at the weekend.

Prem Rugby crowds can be pretty large, Welford Road (Leics Tigers) holds 25k and can fill up. Kingsholm (Gloucs) 16k, Bristol play at and occasionally sell out Ashton Gate. At least equivalent to Championship football. Policing difference will be the lack of segregation though, I assume the number of police (deemed to be) required is far fewer than an equivalent football crowd.

Interesting, i have only been to England Rugby so only had that to go on.  Championship size is a good comparison then.

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 14:13:41 »

+ the cricket
premiership eggchasers and the cricket.

I'd thought you were meaning some County stuff from Sunday onwards but the Lords Test is indeed still on - or back on again - from Saturday.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 14:45:59 »

As stated in my post, the people need to chill are those that are outraged by the postponement on Social media (specifically twitter).  If you think my post was aimed at you, then you are barking up the wrong tree.  I responded to your question, calmly, in the first line.

Do I get from your post that you feel that I was being less than calm in my point of view over the emergency services.  I would love to know where you feel I expressed my view less calmly..
Not going to break it all down but your post came across to me as a little exasperated at the lack of thought in the "why postpone" question. Perhaps that came on the end of a load of Twitter bollix   Grin
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 14:52:21 »

I am very dissapointed that there will not be a match tomorrow.  yes i dont have a life...well actually i replace watching Town with going to school to work another 5 hours on saturday mornings so i think that is a win.  

Are there events for the queen going on this weekend thus the safety services will be busy with that?

Being American obviously my connection is not as great but i can highly respect a person who has served their country for 70 years.  I have read/seen things over the years how England no longer needs the monarchy.  I am not sure if need is there or not but let me tell you from a person who lives in a country that is currently tearing apart due to radical politics, it would be nice to have that one person like the queen that is constant and can bring the country together just by being there.

I will say that I hope matches resume soon.  I think sport brings people together and you can show respect and love in a time of crisis.  in 2001 a few days after 9/11 here, Nebraska had a game against Rice.  they decided to move forward and not let terroists change our lives.  This was the first event of any kind really after 9/11 but they decided to change a pre-game ritual to honor the first responders.  it was the loudest that stadium of 78,000 at that time had ever been.  so I hope moving forward this is what occurs and great respect for the Queen is shown in the next matches to come.

But maybe not same situation overall ?

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 14:53:01 »

Not going to break it all down but your post came across to me as a little exasperated at the lack of thought in the "why postpone" question. Perhaps that came on the end of a load of Twitter bollix   Grin

Fair enough, no exasperation here.  No point in posting your thoughts on twitter as it just blows up in your face, just posting my thoughts on here, initially in response to your question and then followed up with some reasoning.

adje

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 15:30:47 »

+ the cricket
And rugby league

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 15:32:11 »

And rugby league

If we are going into minority sports

+ Ice Hockey.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 15:34:10 »

The policing aspect of Premiership Rugby would be far less than football and even cricket I imagine (international).
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 15:35:37 »

The policing aspect of Premiership Rugby would be far less than football and even cricket I imagine (international).

The postponements this weekend were not down to policing issues, that will be next weekend.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: