Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread 22/23  (Read 37699 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, September 8, 2022, 20:59:30 »

It's an extremely sad day, we all thought she would go on forever.  I'd have thought tributes at every game in a showing of national unity would be a better way to remember her majesty than simply cancelling them.   

This.  Would she have wanted everyone to cancel their weekend and stay home mourning.   RIP Queenie,  think games need to go on and maybe a minutes silence would be more appropriate.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, September 8, 2022, 21:32:30 »

Trouble is I remember we were away at Cardiff City just after Princess Margaret died. A few unsavouries ruined the minutes silence, I heard it on the radio. Disrespectful scum.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, September 8, 2022, 21:47:02 »

This.  Would she have wanted everyone to cancel their weekend and stay home mourning.   RIP Queenie,  think games need to go on and maybe a minutes silence would be more appropriate.
100%
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, September 8, 2022, 22:38:52 »

Football is kind of irrelevant at times like this, if we are in a national period of mourning then they should be cancelled. It’s fairly significant in the history of the country so a few football matches being cancelled should be of concern to anyone.

I thought the 10 day plan had already been devised so guess we will find out tomorrow.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, September 8, 2022, 23:35:27 »

Football is kind of irrelevant at times like this, if we are in a national period of mourning then they should be cancelled. It’s fairly significant in the history of the country so a few football matches being cancelled should be of concern to anyone.

I thought the 10 day plan had already been devised so guess we will find out tomorrow.
I don't agree that they should be cancelled.   It should certainly be a different experience and the occasion marked but Football is irrelevant at times like this, whether or not the game is played.

Where do you stop - do we close everything?  Cancel concerts, close theme parks, pubs, cinemas, Netflix etc.   Who pays for them closing and compensates those that lose out?

Money could also be seen as irrelevant after an event if such historical significance, but if you're the one losing out it almost certainly isn't.

I should add that I do expect them to be called off.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 07:15:55 »

I don't agree that they should be cancelled.   It should certainly be a different experience and the occasion marked but Football is irrelevant at times like this, whether or not the game is played.

Where do you stop - do we close everything?  Cancel concerts, close theme parks, pubs, cinemas, Netflix etc.   Who pays for them closing and compensates those that lose out?

Money could also be seen as irrelevant after an event if such historical significance, but if you're the one losing out it almost certainly isn't.

I should add that I do expect them to be called off.
Yes,agreed. She loved sport apparently so what better tribute than a full sporting weekend reflecting the glorious tradition of her kingdom. I just don't see how participating is being disrespectful.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 07:43:37 »

If football is irrelevant during a national period of mourning, then it should have to extend to other avenues of enjoyment such as cinemas, pubs, parks, the lot. I really struggle with the logic that this should apply to sport and sport only, especially as the Queen herself was a big sports lover.

The images of packed stadiums observing moments of silence and the displays that go with it will be a much more fitting vision of remembrance than forcing people to mope at home.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 9, 2022, 07:51:05 by ThreeDrawsMentality » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 08:02:45 »

Have to say the image of a totally silent Old Trafford was very powerful

Did they have a minute's silence for the Queen too?
(baddum tiss)
-------------------------
Protocol will be followed. I'm not one for cancelling but it'll be what will be.

Maybe the chances of a respectful silence is diminished playing a Welsh team anyway. Though that says more about them.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 08:18:47 »

If football is irrelevant during a national period of mourning, then it should have to extend to other avenues of enjoyment such as cinemas, pubs, parks, the lot. I really struggle with the logic that this should apply to sport and sport only, especially as the Queen herself was a big sports lover.

The images of packed stadiums observing moments of silence and the displays that go with it will be a much more fitting vision of remembrance than forcing people to mope at home.
Take tomorrow as an example. It’s Newport, there will be trouble, lots of Police will be needed and it’s hardly appropriate during a National period of mourning.

It’s literally one week in a lifetime, Northern Ireland have already cancelled their matches and I hope we do the same. Sport can afford to be out of the limelight for a week.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 08:18:56 »

I see Liverpool and Celtic are home tomorrow.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 08:34:53 »

Take tomorrow as an example. It’s Newport, there will be trouble, lots of Police will be needed and it’s hardly appropriate during a National period of mourning.

It’s literally one week in a lifetime, Northern Ireland have already cancelled their matches and I hope we do the same. Sport can afford to be out of the limelight for a week.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible.

I don't give a fuck about the queens death. I want to go to the football.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 08:42:21 »

It’s one game.

Go to the pub with mates instead, see family, etc

I realise I’m saying this on a football forum but Bill Shankley was wrong, there is more to life than football
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 08:56:18 »

That's the whole point though

Why is going to the pub and doing virtually any other leisure activity ok, but going to football isn't?
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 09:02:19 »

It’s one game.

Go to the pub with mates instead, see family, etc

I realise I’m saying this on a football forum but Bill Shankley was wrong, there is more to life than football
Is it one game or is it 3 over the next 10 days?  
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, September 9, 2022, 09:04:41 »

And I go to football with friends and family.  Not sure some would make a 100 mile round trip just to see me, I fucking wouldn't.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: