Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon Pre Match & Match Day Thread  (Read 33934 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, September 2, 2022, 17:01:46 »

The 3-0 was the only time I've seen us vs Gillingham, home or away.  There was an army of 1970s hoolies out that day.  This was nearly 20 yrs ago, so most are probably in retirement homes now.  I'll be interested to hear whether the locals care about us as much these days.

Ohh yes they do.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, September 2, 2022, 17:05:02 »

Brynn

Lavinier.  MacDonald.  Clayton.  Blake-Tracy

Reed

Khan.    Gladwin

Williams

Wakeling  Jephcott

Would be mine

Would be a lot better providing MacDonald starts to up his game. I'd be tempted to put Darcy over Gladwin but he may be better as impact sub.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, September 2, 2022, 17:16:48 »

Will be my last in person game for at least 6 weeks, hoping to do one or two more in early November before work starts full on for the winter in France, really looking forward to it, would be great to see LJ bag on his debut and come away with a win there for once.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, September 2, 2022, 18:23:53 »

This game brings back many memorable games from those late 70’s and 80’s epics.
After those late 70’s battles I recall one particular away trip to Priestfield where we lost 1-0.
Early 80’s and it was like everyone in Gillingham came out in force.

Arrived by train and hardly any Swindon had made the trip. No colours but notable that gangs were out in force looking for Swindon fans.
In the away end Gillingham fans were in there and a few battles ensued before they left. The walk back to the station was just as bad but made it unscathed under darkness.

Some of those games that followed at Swindon were superbly supported by Swindon fans.
Masses gathered on the Bank and the TE. Still remember the belting out Of Nightboat to Cairo, Madness and the Harringtons and Black DM’s in full dance.

Some games against the Gills.
The 3-1 win in the late 70’s even shading that Selhurst Park win for me.
The TE that day simply deafening.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, September 2, 2022, 19:29:49 »

The only time I went in the away end at the county ground was against Gillingham in the early 80s, we win 3-0 & Animal scored in the first 5 mins & it kicked off.

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, September 2, 2022, 19:33:32 »

2-0 home win

Att: 4,069

MoM: FBT

Nothing to see here
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, September 2, 2022, 19:39:37 »

New players out to prove that themselves,  comfortable 2-0 win to the town.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 05:19:15 »

Wonder if the new signings are likely to play today. I’d hope to see the new RB start plus Jephcott. Darcy is a must start - probably at the expense of Gladwin or Williams which is a tough call. It’d be Williams for me, Gladwin has been good this season. Shade deserves a go in the McKirdy role.

Brynn
Tim Brooke-Taylor McDonald Clayton Lavinier
Reed Gladwin Darcy
Shade Jephcott Wakeling

We have a lot of options now.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 05:57:18 »

Reading on their website they're still very bitter. It's about time them that we turned them over properly in their own back garden. 3-1 Town but would love to keep a clean sheet
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 05:57:58 »

Just win to hopefully shut up the whinging cunts on FB.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 06:28:14 »

For those travelling today just me mindful of the surrounds.
Always expect a little welcoming party and a friendly walk away from the ground.

They still hold a grudge 😂
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 08:08:33 »

For those travelling today just me mindful of the surrounds.
Always expect a little welcoming party and a friendly walk away from the ground.

They still hold a grudge 😂

And best not mention Ray Mchale!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 08:22:48 »

Pre match touting for driveway & patio work in The Golden Lion.

Fuelling in Rochester to start, a pity that the castle was the other way, then a walk to Chatham where the historic dockyard is also out of range. Then finally into the heart of darkness.
An odyssey through prime Charlton supporting country, probably not worthy of a Joseph Conrad novel in this case.

This fixture is a classic example of irrational football fan grudge bearing, going all the way back to incidents in games more than 40 years ago.
The dislike is largely one sided though & must have been passed down from parents to kids. Fascinating.

Wonder what Town fans would have made of having the Gillingham chairman in charge for so many years.
A divisive figure I suspect, but no call for somebody to have to step back from their job due to abuse.

Personal record here is one win in 7 visits & that was in Dec 1986.
A more relevant stat is no wins in 9 visits since hostilities resumed in 2006.
This must be the worst away record against all of our long standing opponents.

We have a chance today, but then again always a case of who you gonna call when looking to end a poor run.

Anyway, keep a firm grip on the cheap high vis vests people, as we could witness a historic victory today.
Or possibly not...

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 08:49:25 »

Turn them over 0-3. Life after McKirdy begins and so does our season. Jephcott (2) and Wakeling.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #59 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:23:09 »

Got to go back to the 80's to find the last time we won at Gillingham..  about time we fixed that stat..
I was at that game the day after Boxing day in 86, we took about 2,000 there. I have a 50% win rate at Priestfield after going there for the play off when we lost the same season.

Jills were 3rd and we were 7th and we won 3-1.

I have never been on the recieving end of so much crowd violence, abuse and trouble as that day, they were throwing bricks, glass bottles and washers (Pikeys couldnt afford coins) with their edges filed sharp at us from outside and inside the ground all game, they really hated us back then and I have no love lost for them too. That was the celery game when the Police confiscated about a truck load of celery from Town fans prior to KO.

Horrible set of fans and a horrible place to visit.

All because of the great Ray McHale in 79 (in front of a huge crowd), another of the most the most hate filled games I have ever witnessed on and off the pitch.

We owe them a thrashing.

I would probably go for this line up.

Brynn
Lavinier    MacDonald    Clayton     Blake-Tracy
                             Reed
                    Khan        Darcy
          Wakeling        Jephcott        Williams

Providing Lavinier is fit enough to start otherwise Brennan or Hutton at RB.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: