Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon Pre Match & Match Day Thread  (Read 33907 times)
daddyo4624

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:39:31 »

I happened to notice,reading about Rotherham’s match on Saturday,that their thirty seven year old centre half,Richard Wood,scored his fourth goal of the season.Given McDonald’s slightly indifferent start to the season,it seems that Rotherham knew what they were doing in releasing a younger centre half,and keeping the older one.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:45:20 »

Still think McDonald needs a bit of slack.

He has barely kicked a ball in anger for quite some time, and I've no idea what kind of preseason he's had.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:50:43 »

Devils advocate.

Lindsey’s first 7 games is no worse than a whole host of previous manager’s first 7 games. I know we have to add perspective to that but he’s suffering more than the others because fans automatically formed the opinion he was the cheap, last minute, bottom of the barrel scraped, appointment so expectations were prejudiced from the outset.

Do you know something we dont? Put us straight!

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:51:10 »

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and say I think McDonald is going to come good. He's not been perfect, but at times he looks a classy customer especially bringing the ball out from the back and he made one absolutely perfect crunching challenge first half that was really old school. His distribution required work but him and Clayton I think are going to be a very good partnership once we sort our shit out.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:52:34 »

and he made one absolutely perfect crunching challenge first half that was really old school.

My favourite moment of the game. Proper wallop (too soon?)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 09:00:02 »

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and say I think McDonald is going to come good. He's not been perfect, but at times he looks a classy customer especially bringing the ball out from the back and he made one absolutely perfect crunching challenge first half that was really old school. His distribution required work but him and Clayton I think are going to be a very good partnership once we sort our shit out.

Think we are better at CB this year.
MacDonald has missed a lot of football so hopefully regular games time sees improvement.
Honestly, think Clayton will be the pick of the bunch from the summer and someone we will make a profit on within 2 years.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 09:09:56 »

Think we are better at CB this year.
MacDonald has missed a lot of football so hopefully regular games time sees improvement.
Honestly, think Clayton will be the pick of the bunch from the summer and someone we will make a profit on within 2 years.

Yeah Clayton looks great so far doesn't he?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 09:15:45 »

Yeah Clayton looks great so far doesn't he?

I know it’s *only* L2 but not every youngster out the academy set up takes to the ‘men’s’ game so easily be it the speed, the physicality, time on the ball or talent.

Early days though obviously but if you knew nothing about him and had to guess you’d probably say he had a season or two at this level on loan under his belt
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 09:31:52 »

Yeh despite the rough start Macdonald has had I agree he and Clayton will be a solid partnership this season. In fact I think the the whole unit will be fine once they've had some time together.

Need to sort it out going forwards though. Feels like there's enough there, just need someone to get a tune out of them..

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #609 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 09:36:34 »

For me macDonald is as strong and powerful a centre back as we have had in years, what he struggles with is with the ball at his feet, hes barely been beaten in the air but has regularly been beaten on the deck.

His passing is also wayward at times and can some games not even find a Town player 10 yards away, but hes not fit, it takes months to get back to fitness when you haven't been playing much, hes only played about 15 games in 2 years after his cancer etc.

I am sure he will come good.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:01:16 »

Devils advocate.

Lindsey’s first 7 games is no worse than a whole host of previous manager’s first 7 games. I know we have to add perspective to that but he’s suffering more than the others because fans automatically formed the opinion he was the cheap, last minute, bottom of the barrel scraped, appointment so expectations were prejudiced from the outset.

I think you're wrong on the first point.   It's not easy to find the stats as managers often start mid season, but If you look at first 7 games of a season, 8 points is better than 20/21 and the same as 16/17, both relegation seasons.

Di canio started badly but even he was on more points by this stage.  He also had a bottomless pit of cash to sort it out.

To put it into perspective Malpas had 11 points after his first 7 games. 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #611 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:33:34 »

I think you're wrong on the first point.   It's not easy to find the stats as managers often start mid season, but If you look at first 7 games of a season, 8 points is better than 20/21 and the same as 16/17, both relegation seasons.

Di canio started badly but even he was on more points by this stage.  He also had a bottomless pit of cash to sort it out.

But also...under Macari in 85/86 after 7 games we were in 20th place with 7 points and won the league by a clear 18 points!

In 86/87 after 7 games we were in 18th place on 8 points (same points as now) and still won promotion through the play offs at Selhurst Park.

In 2011/12 under PdC we were in 13th place on just one more point (9) than now and had 4 defeats and still easily won the league.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:35:02 »

I think you're wrong on the first point.   It's not easy to find the stats as managers often start mid season, but If you look at first 7 games of a season, 8 points is better than 20/21 and the same as 16/17, both relegation seasons.

Di canio started badly but even he was on more points by this stage.  He also had a bottomless pit of cash to sort it out.

Basically we’re fucked already then? Or would you like to insert a caveat just in case we get promoted or finish a comfortable mid table?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:48:15 »

For me macDonald is as strong and powerful a centre back as we have had in years, what he struggles with is with the ball at his feet, hes barely been beaten in the air but has regularly been beaten on the deck.

His passing is also wayward at times and can some games not even find a Town player 10 yards away, but hes not fit, it takes months to get back to fitness when you haven't been playing much, hes only played about 15 games in 2 years after his cancer etc.

I am sure he will come good.

MacDonald is good at all the things Conroy was rubbish at…but…so far MacDonald has been rubbish at all the things Conroy was good at.

Fused together they’d be VVD!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 12:49:41 »

McDonald was shocking Saturday.

Has a decent pedigree with other Clubs and like others have mentioned needs consistent game time.
Still confident he will get better and needs to.

Defensively we still look exposed, Brynn looks a decent prospect and reliable keeper.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: