Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 46   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon Pre Match & Match Day Thread  (Read 33909 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 16:25:23 »

you have to wonder whether the pass pass pass model is even worth it nowadays with the 5 sub rule. noonger the days of wearing the opponents down and winning through fitness. half the outfield team can be replaced.

Sadly old fashioned wingers have been coached out of the modern game gone are the days when a winger skins the right/left back and gets a quality cross in to the box.

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 18:00:26 »

Sadly old fashioned wingers have been coached out of the modern game gone are the days when a winger skins the right/left back and gets a quality cross in to the box.

Good job the likes of David Moss, Ian Miller and The Don (not necessarily an out & out winger) retired from the game when they did.

Feel free to include others without trying to look like a fucking Uni Professor of Footballing Player Positions trying to make your dick look bigger than it actually is.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 18:02:51 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 18:01:53 »

Good job the likes of David Moss, Ian Miller and The Don (not necessarily an out & out winger) retired from the game when they did.

Those we the days before players were cloned😀
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 18:07:50 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 19:43:37 »

I think they are still found in the higher leagues
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 19:53:28 »

I think they are still found in the higher leagues
Di Maria?
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 20:03:13 »

I think that Anthony just signed by manure is one
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 20:09:10 »

Don't watch much Premier League but will look out for him.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 20:11:08 »

Inept all round yesterday.

I may be wrong but I thought we set up 4-1-4-1 throughout, which is obviously nonsense against 10 men. Lindsey’s tactics were woeful.

The players didn’t do themselves any favours either. Passing and shooting was amateur at times, and for the most part it was our own poor play that gifted Gillingham chances.

I’m all for giving Lindsey more time to prove himself but yesterday was so bad that I wasn’t miffed by the “We want Lindsey out” chants at the end. I’m normally pretty forgiving but for most of the second half I was thoroughly pissed off with the amount of crap I was witnessing.

Finally, I hate the Gypsy-related chants. Sadly, it even made a copper smile during the exit from the ground.
Good post.

My Mr Reasonable "give him 10 games before judging him" just evaporated over the course of that second half.  Cannot recall a 0-0 away draw I have ever found as quietly traumatic.

Gillingham is a rough old place, reminiscent of Luton to me.  But I also hate the gypsy chants.  Football is still a pretty rough theatre though and I admit I might just raise a wry smile at such chants in response to any sheepshagger taunting.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: Sunday, September 4, 2022, 21:05:31 »

I think we need some perspective - as Adje said earlier we had the chances to win the  game and didn’t take them. A couple of wins from the two home games coming up and things will look very different.
Saying we should sack the manager after 7 league games is hysterical nonsense.
I was also disappointed with the abuse of players and management at full time yesterday. That will increase the tension in their play rather than helping them in future games.
We’ve had a huge turnover of players, some are still settling in, 5 arrived on Thursday and some of those are probably not match fit. I’d put Jephcott in that group. Only 3 of yesterday’s starting 11 and Baudry on the bench were in the squad for PV last season.
I assumed that Wakeling going off was linked to the lengthy treatment  he received a few mins earlier, rather than being tactical.
Gillingham sat very deep and made it hard for us penetrate - the pitch at Priestfield is very narrow which helps  a side doing that.
However, I agree that we didn’t play well. Not enough pace or tempo in the play yesterday - we never really built up a head of steam, or made the keeper really work, and nobody tried to take on their full backs. I am hopeful it will improve after a full week on the training ground.
DMC

« Reply #594 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:21:24 »

Yeah, definitely. However certain players are complete dud signings. Thankfully we should now have enough players where few of them will have to play. Just gotta hope the second batch of signings are a Di Canioesque significant improvement on the first.
Certain players will always be dud. We have that every summer
DMC

« Reply #595 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:24:03 »

Although apparently you can't make such judgements so quickly. Perhaps our entire fan base was wrong about the likes of Mattia Lanzano after a few games and we shouldn't have had the faintest of ideas about him when we bombed him off after 6 games for Wes Fodderingham, because it was still early days.
No one is saying you cant say it but at least be balanced and acknowledge some of the good signings.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:24:57 »

We had chances to lose the game too.   In fact we could easily have lost 4 or 5 as we've only been the better side twice, Rochdale and Stockport, and failed to win the latter despite being a goal up against 10 men.  

The writing is clearly on the wall already and for me I think we are at the stage where he has to win the next 2.  A point a game gets us relegated, that's what Oldham got last year, so it's just not good enough.  
DMC

« Reply #597 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:25:41 »

Arguably Lanzano as the example I gave should be more on the side of given time like a Fjortoft of 'give him time' given he was a player coming from abroad to play in British football for the first time. Sadly for him though, he was a keeper and you can't quite do that in the same way.

Adeloye you might even give a little more to, although he's played in Scotland and shown nothing so far.

If Harries turns good though, I'll eat my hat and I don't even have a hat. I'll eat a Clem Morfuni potato print bucket hat.
Pushing it on Harries, looks like he struggles to warm up let alone play. I believe he was a garner signing :-(
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:31:35 »

Well that was a tough and turgid listen on Saturday.

Gills almost snatched it!

I hope i am wrong but this is looking like Luke Williams all over again with a Coach and not a Manager in charge.

Newport seems to be a must win, if not we might hear a few boos.

Im away til Northampton so plenty of time for them to turn it around for me!

Now read back.

Clems Army!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Monday, September 5, 2022, 08:35:02 »

Devils advocate.

Lindsey’s first 7 games is no worse than a whole host of previous manager’s first 7 games. I know we have to add perspective to that but he’s suffering more than the others because fans automatically formed the opinion he was the cheap, last minute, bottom of the barrel scraped, appointment so expectations were prejudiced from the outset.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 46   Go Up
Print
Jump to: