Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stockport County v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 18787 times)
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 08:00:36 »

Reading back it’s quite clear from the comments that there’s a big difference in opinions.

Those that watched/listened to the game & commented straight after the game were hugely frustrated & we’re saying it was shite.

Whereas those that went to the game or took some time to reflect on the overall performance were a bit more positive & bemoaning the fact a lapse of concentration led to their goal.

The one thing everyone seems to agree is that we need a right back that can play right back & a central striker. Also that we miss McKirdy, so selling him at this point wouldn’t be a great idea.

The lack of a right back reminds me of the England Euro 1992 squad.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #316 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 08:02:48 »

TBH I thought we looked much better in long periods but still made one mistake that cost us, with better finishing we would have been 2-0 up when Hutton missed an absolute sitter, if he hit it low it would have gone in.

For long spells we controlled midfield and should have won with County thinking they really got away with daylight robbery. Williams and Khan were great with Reed back to his best.

Yes its 2 points dropped but we have continued to improve game on game and after all it is just 1 loss in the league so far, as others have said we just really need a right back and a good striker, as much as I want Adeloye to come good I dont think he will.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 08:16:41 »

TBH I thought we looked much better in long periods but still made one mistake that cost us, with better finishing we would have been 2-0 up when Hutton missed an absolute sitter, if he hit it low it would have gone in.

For long spells we controlled midfield and should have won with County thinking they really got away with daylight robbery. Williams and Khan were great with Reed back to his best.

Yes its 2 points dropped but we have continued to improve game on game and after all it is just 1 loss in the league so far, as others have said we just really need a right back and a good striker, as much as I want Adeloye to come good I dont think he will.

Think this is a very fair review.

I was very frustrated after the game as I wouldn't be someone who sits on a 1-0, especially with 10 men. That being said they didn't really look like scoring until their red which actually seemed to galvanise them a bit, but it is worrying that we seem to do worse when we have a man (or men!) advantage (as others have said this has been an issue for years and isn't directly at Lindsey).

We are improving and having more control in games, MacDonald and Clayton seem to be building quite a good partnership and both constantly talk throughout the game. Feel like if we had the current defence (with Hunt added) in last years team, we'd have gone up.

Suppose you could argue if we improve as much as we have from Harrogate to yesterday within the next 6 games then we should start climbing the table. New right back and a striker are a priority though.
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 08:17:42 »

Its great to see stockport back in the league
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 08:20:51 »

Lyndsey does need some media training or something, we're not getting a lot from the interviews. I think you can tell what he's trying to do and it's not for lack of knowledge, I just don't think he's used to it.

That said, seems to all be going in the right direction now, frustrating to not get the win today but that's football, should have won this one, should have lost against Salford, funny what going down to 10 does to galvanise a team and Stockport deserve plaudits for coming back into the game after seemingly being out of it.

I'd echo we can't afford to lose McKirdy now, think the next few games will probably demonstrate that. Might have to push the boat out and spend some cash in a right back as well as a striker as we're obviously struggling to fill that position. I think Iandolo being out is hurting us there, and I think it's easy for some to forget we've got injuries as well as suspensions at the moment.

This season is still wide open, and we'll see where we are come the day the loan window slams shut.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 09:06:08 »

I'm not convinced that we intended to sit back.    There was an element of complacency for sure, but the lack of any forward presence once Wakeling and, to a far lesser extent, Shade went off meant that they could push forward with impunity and we basically couldn't get out of our own half.   

It's clear that Hutton and Adoloye won't win many games playing in the same team together although in his defence  Hutton should have played at RB when brought on.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 10:04:50 »

Lyndsey does need some media training or something, we're not getting a lot from the interviews. I think you can tell what he's trying to do and it's not for lack of knowledge, I just don't think he's used to it.

That said, seems to all be going in the right direction now, frustrating to not get the win today but that's football, should have won this one, should have lost against Salford, funny what going down to 10 does to galvanise a team and Stockport deserve plaudits for coming back into the game after seemingly being out of it.

I'd echo we can't afford to lose McKirdy now, think the next few games will probably demonstrate that. Might have to push the boat out and spend some cash in a right back as well as a striker as we're obviously struggling to fill that position. I think Iandolo being out is hurting us there, and I think it's easy for some to forget we've got injuries as well as suspensions at the moment.

This season is still wide open, and we'll see where we are come the day the loan window slams shut.

I still maintain that we are victims of our own success from last season and that surely doesn’t help the whole fan base from those who never go but still find lots to be negative about to those that don’t miss a game who also find lots to be negative about. As a species were good at being generous with our misery but piss poor and miserly with praise…

That said, I and my DNA feel from the games we have seen there has been solid improvement. Ok nothing to set the L2 scene on fire but solid improvement all the same whereby I’m sure those mentioned above would shout ‘well that’s nothing to shout about, we were dog shit at Harrogate and look who have beaten them since’. See my point?

Patience is a virtue. On a positive note the McKirdy situation will sort itself out this week. So will the other positions. We also have the January window to dabble as sure we will. We are improving week on week. Just look at the rebuilding we have had to do, again! We have only been beaten once. Of course the detractors and misery mongers will say we’ve only won once, I say ok, we’ve only been beaten once and according to your stance we are shit. Not bad a position to be in all considered I think to use as a platform going forward.

So for me the marathon is well underway and at roughly the three mile marker we are getting into a rhythm slowly and surely. I wouldn’t worry to much about the early pace setters but if you do, think of the grass munchers up the road and what happened to them come the home straight.

All good in the hood AFAIC, seen it all before many, many times.

The top brass know as I have mentioned before that this season is not a nailed on 100% shit or bust one (that’s next season IMHO) but one that has to surpass last seasons David v Goliath epic over achievement and get promoted automatically because the pan of boiling hot passion will have largely turned to steam and the good will evaporated.

Looking for an Indian Summer next two months where we get the summer holiday crowds back and we can turn up to the theatre of despair in nice wether to see us move silently under the radar towards the early pace setters.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 10:05:20 »

We clearly recruited for 3-5-2 and in the first few games it was found not to work, so having reverted to 4-3-3 we don't really have a player that can play rb.

I think the jury is still out on Lindsey, after 12 games we should have a clearer idea of where we are heading with him as manager / head coach, at the moment it is a concern we are lacking those win's but hopefully we can get a bit of a run of wins going.

So, we clearly need a full back for the right side, and another striker who can hold the ball, but my other concern is McKirdy  - assuming he doesn't get sold by Thursday, we clearly rely on his style of play with the forward line and for creativity and struggle when we don't have him, so what if he picks up an injury for a couple of months we have nobody else that can step in from the bench, is this the risk we have to take ?

Maybe it would be good to have an old head getting towards his twilight years that does not expect to always be a starter but can come on from the bench and be a nuisance and start a handful of games when needed

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 10:06:50 »

Surely we can get a passable right back out of Shade, Hutton & Brennan
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 11:39:40 »

Yesterday was better but it’s still impossible to work out how we set up to play and the imbalance across certain positions are obvious. We have some quality which is allowing us to pick up points but it does seem really hard for us to even get shots on target at the moment which needs to quickly improve.

People have said we shouldn’t judge Lindsey until 10 or so games so a big 4 games coming up for him. The minimum expectation for any Town manager in L2 should be to pick up 50% of the points available so 69 across the season. Lindsey is currently at the 39% mark so needs around 8 points from the next 4. If we aren’t on or around 15 points after 10 games then I think there is a sufficient sample to form a judgement. For comparison Garner had 16 after 10 and we were 4th.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 13:18:40 »

Not seen anything to suggest that.   Hutton is not good enough, Shade has physical attributes but is a winger not a RB, Brennan not seen much of but looked ropey in the 2 games I've seen him play, but concussion does that to you.

We had 3 decent right backs last year, should have aimed to keep at least 1, can't imagine Odimayo was overpaid
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 13:23:55 »

I noticed Odimayo was only a sub yesterday shame he didn't stay as he would have been a first team regular this season with his versatility.

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 13:26:44 »

Well,Brennan anyway. Not sure about the other 2 to be honest

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 13:28:00 »

I did suggest Brennan but got knocked back😀

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 13:38:33 »

Well,just watched it back. What was Lindsey on about when referring to the scorer of the equaliser being "five foot nothing"?
Trivial maybe but what the fuck difference does his height make?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: