Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Salford City pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 33332 times)
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Sunday, August 7, 2022, 20:59:06 »

Why do we have shit refs? There are obviously things like the suction of VAR pulling ones out of lower league but there's something deeper at play.

Because people abuse them. Who'd want to be a ref? The only people who stick at it are the ones who want to be centre of attention, those with a persecution complex, or who just really care about the game and want to see it played right (this is the minority in lower league it seems)

Much better to have some external reviews that actually transparently did something and refereeing wasn't some closed ranks 'deal with it internally' scenario. If a ref had a shit game admit it and treat it as a learning exercise.

Don't know the best way to go about it but I would imagine something like a bunch of professional from various bits of the game with no stake in the decisions reviewing matches. I also think that elite refs should have to do x number of lower league matches a year. Why do the Prem get all the 'best' refs, while the rest of the pyramid 'doeant deserve them'? Keeps the top refs honest by making them do Fleetwood Vs Barnet on a wet Tuesday night in December, and gives the lower refs a chance to learn by seeing how top ones conduct themselves and the game. A referee is there to make sure the game flows, not to disrupt play and wag their finger every 5 minutes.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 00:02:56 »

Biggish home crowd for  bottom drawer game, carding Salford players wouldn't have got him centre of attention.
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 04:37:07 »

Biggish home crowd for  bottom drawer game, carding Salford players wouldn't have got him centre of attention.
Was he not centre of attention already?
He set his stall out early on, did we really deserve 8 yellows yet them only 1? He was far from the best and probably the worst I have seen.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 05:51:13 »

That was never a dirty game.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:04:26 »

When you break then 8 yellows down
Dissent, pull back x2, handball, shoulder to shoulder, time wasting
That’s 6/8 right there without a tackle even made…
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:09:51 »

So according to his own (now deleted) SM post, Brennan was playing with a concussion. If so:

1) That absolutely isn't okay

2) What does that say about our other CB options?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:24:52 »

Quote from: Nemo
So according to his own (now deleted) SM post, Brennan was playing with a concussion. If so:

your hope that's the footballer definition of concussion, not the medical one.

because playing with proper concussion isn't just not okay, it can be life threatening
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:31:49 »

2) What does that say about our other CB options?

You’re right it isn’t ok

I’m surprised the ref let this slide and didn’t send him off…
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:36:39 »

What's an SM post?  Huh?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:40:13 »

SadoMasochism post 
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:53:59 »

On the topic of referees, I can't get my head around how bad they are. More specifically the ones at the County Ground.

You'd think if anything, having quite a large crowd, we'd be given the benefit of the doubt in home games. Subconsciously more than anything. A ref giving more to the home side makes his life easier even if he doesn't do it intentionally.

So why is it that every ref we ever get at home wants to be center of attention and make it his single mission to fuck off an entire fan base? like an above poster said, are the ones at this level really just trying to get a kick out of all the attention? do they really crave it that much?

In all the home games last season I can count on one hand the amount of 'competent' refs we had. It's a massive problem.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:55:34 »

Also, I didn't see much of the ref taking players to one side and having a word. Straight out with the cards.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 07:59:35 »

Would making referees professional help?

I'm not sure. If you get to league level you must have already reffed hundreds (?) of games. Other than more time dedicated to the classroom looking at scenarios to gain consistency what else can they do?

Fitness, but I don't think that is the issue here - they are never going to be as fast as a 23 year old pro footballer. Nor do they need to be
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 08:01:47 »

Do we know if it was concussion that Brennan went off with at Harrogate? Or whether it was sustained during the Salford first half? In both circumstances, if we allowed him to play on knowing he had concussion, that is disgusting, but even moreso if it stemmed from the Harrogate game and we completely disregarded the concussion protocols.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Monday, August 8, 2022, 09:03:21 »

Haven't read back yet Smiley

Clearly a game of 2 halves on Saturday. First half we were an absolute mess as Salford dictated possession - granted they didn't do a huge amount with it - and we continued to be sloppy. Brennan in particular had an absolute shocker and Reed continued on from Harrogate unfortunately. And then you had the little hitler in the referee's outfit handing out yellows for nothing fouls. He clearly had it in for Harry booking him after 15 minutes or so for gobbing off, and he couldn't wait to give him a second yellow the first opportunity, a pathetic coming together between 2 players which could have been a foul given on McKirdy, but Adolf had already decided he wanted Harry off and so gave him the red.

Obviously I feared the worst as we had been useless in the first half but thankfully Lindsey showed a bit of tactical nous and changed from 5 to 4, and chucked Darcy and Clayton on and we looked much better with Hutton a changed player, his runs and crosses causing problems, Wakeling was unlucky with a header just wide. Sol Brynn had to make a few good saves to keep us in it but it was a much more competitive half and I reckon had we started like that we would have had a much better chance of taking 3 points.

It will be interesting to see if Lindsey abandons the 5 to go to the 4, I personally think the evidence of the second half showing should be enough and the energy of Darcy and the calmness of Clayton shows that we have decent squad options now. It's still far from good but there is the potential of green shoots based on the playing squad. It's up to the manager to get it working and we'll be off and running, probably after a meek effort in the Carabao Cup tomorrow night!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 38   Go Up
Print
Jump to: