Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: L2 Predictions Thread  (Read 12808 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 08:26:19 »

From what we know today I think that it pretty fair tbh
I agree thats pretty much my thoughts on each club TBH.

Although I don't think Stockport will get autos I do think they will be top half and not entirely convinved that Creepy will do that well either despite spending huge on wages.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 12:01:55 »

Hmm I'm struggling to grasp where we are as a club and at what point do we begin expecting more?

It seems the majority of people are quite pleased with our transfer business, yet the average poster has us to finish 9th. So which is it? Or are people sitting on the fence until we've bought in a marquee striker?

If a Lee Power side finished 9th he'd be crucified.

Are most of you content with a mid table finish if it means the internal and external debt can be cleared before the beginning of next season? I'm just curious to know when our expectations are supposed to go back to normal.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 12:16:06 »

There's a difference between hope and expectation.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 12:17:31 »

But that's the point. If people are happy with our window and we've got a solid base of continuity from last season then why is the average person expecting us to finish lower down?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:11:07 »

I think that most people are relatively happy with our recruitment so far, but the fact is with the current model, not many people really know what the players are really like until we seem them start to play in competetive football. Do we know enough about these players to say they are going to piss the league, no.  Do we know enough about these players to say we are going to struggle, no.  So the sensible bet is to say, top half but maybe not challenging.

To say we are content with a mid table finish is not really fair, we just don't know enough about this group of players to be able to make an informed prediction.  With what I see and know today, this feels like a top half on the verge of play offs type of setup - add a top line striker (for this level) and my feeling raises to the play offs.  Just because that is what my head is saying today, doesn't mean I am content with it, but I am not going to start going all "panic button" about something that none of us know enough about - yet.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:25:03 »

I think that most people are relatively happy with our recruitment so far, but the fact is with the current model, not many people really know what the players are really like until we seem them start to play in competetive football. Do we know enough about these players to say they are going to piss the league, no.  Do we know enough about these players to say we are going to struggle, no.  So the sensible bet is to say, top half but maybe not challenging.

To say we are content with a mid table finish is not really fair, we just don't know enough about this group of players to be able to make an informed prediction.  With what I see and know today, this feels like a top half on the verge of play offs type of setup - add a top line striker (for this level) and my feeling raises to the play offs.  Just because that is what my head is saying today, doesn't mean I am content with it, but I am not going to start going all "panic button" about something that none of us know enough about - yet.

I think this is how I see it also. For me it's really hard to judge the 13 players that we've brought in because I don't really know anything too much about them. I'm really relying on our scouting team along with the data analysts and that they know what they are doing. Obviously Chorley has gone but I believe Les Caffery has been integral in bringing players in before and Sandro's data wisdom seemed to work well at Wigan so it seems we have a sound enough base to more forwards with.

For me it's still pretty new what is being put in place, last season was a great start but losing the manager and a handful of the squad and having to bring in 13+ new players means that I think this season is a little bit unknown. I think Sandro said that when the internal debt is paid off our budget boat can really be pushed out more so whilst I haven't yet decided where I think we will finish this season, I am resigned to finishing lower than last season but would be hopeful of a repeat of last season and going one step further and actually getting to Wembley, another cup run would be lovely as well.

I suspect the way I support Swindon is the polar opposite of the poster that posed the question, I'm by no means a happy clapper but I am way past the stage of having a proverbial Benny if we lose some games or finish mid-table. There are lots to like about the way the club is moving currently, it would be great if we could fly up the leagues but I suspect it might not happen like that.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:32:38 »

If a Lee Power side finished 9th he'd be crucified.

Are most of you content with a mid table finish if it means the internal and external debt can be cleared before the beginning of next season? I'm just curious to know when our expectations are supposed to go back to normal.
I’ll be more blunt… If we finish 9th in league 2 whichever way people try to spin it it will be an abject failure and changes would be needed both in approach and probably manager. Let’s not sugar coat it, any season that sees us finish mid table in League 2 is pretty depressing, last season the club had a free pass and there was the novelty factor of attending games again after COVID. It won’t be nearly as enjoyable this season if we aren’t challenging.

If we can scramble together a team and finish 6th then we should be looking to better that next season and if we don’t then it’s failure. I’m hoping for the best but until we’ve played a few games we don’t really have much of a clue about the coach or most of the new signings.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:35:34 »

Absolutely 100% this...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:41:32 »

Same as above. We all want to say we will finish inside the top seven and preferably top 3 but it's hard to say it with confidence when we don't know how the team will gell or how the new signings will perform.

So, give no fucks
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:47:00 »

But that's the point. If people are happy with our window and we've got a solid base of continuity from last season then why is the average person expecting us to finish lower down?
Because default Swindon fan is to to never be happy. Even when we did well last year we had a minority moaning saying we should be pissing the league. The was actually a majority that wanted Garner out at some stages last year.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 13:54:29 »

Ultimately if they want to look longer term and build over seasons then first of all they need to get back into league 1 and that should be the fundamental priority.

It’s perfectly acceptable to be a mid-table league 1 team over a sustained period of time and with the away crowds in league 1 you’ll maintain a decent income even in a poor season. However it’s not acceptable for us to finish mid-table in League 2 and never has been. Also,  with the nature of the other teams currently in this league if we are shit then attendances and therefore income will fall off a cliff as there’s going to be next to no away fans at CG for most games this season to make up for a home fan deficit.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:09:49 »

Because default Swindon fan is to to never be happy. Even when we did well last year we had a minority moaning saying we should be pissing the league. The was actually a majority that wanted Garner out at some stages last year.
TBF I think thats football fans in general.

Rovers fans wanted rid of Barton after about 15 games yet went on to win promotion.

Shithead fans wanted rid of Lee Johnson despite finishing in 8th place in the Championship.

Arsenal fans wanted rid of Wenger as it got stale and boring.

Man Utd fans wanted rid of Ferguson before the results started picking up.

At least now we have Lindsey who seems to actually want to be at Swindon, something I never felt Garner ever actually wanted.

Who knows what this season will bring, could be good, could be bad, could be great, could be attrocious, only time will tell. if the players bond quickly and show their potential it could be a championship winning season.

FGR, Rovers and Vale never really impressed me much last season and TBH very few teams totally outplayed us so the league is very winnable with a good run of results, all we have to do is be the better side in the majority of games and get some consistancy especially at home.

Also we have to stop teams bullying us, being our team is based more on ability rather than strength several sides bullied us into submission last season.

Hopefully with McDonald, Hutton, Devine, Shade, Brennan, Adeloye, Clayton and Khan maybe they will put themselves about a bit more than we did last season as a team to compliment the passing style and not rely on just lightweight players who opposition teams seem to expose easily such as Barrow, Orient, Crawley and Exeter did.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:17:44 »

This topic has come up because of people giving their predictions on what they know and see today.  What I know and see today it feels like 9th is about right, but..  the recruitment is (hopefully) not done yet, all signs are we will sign a striker, and maybe add 2 or 3 loanees..  what do people want?  people to make predictions based on what might happen, or what they see today?

Stating people would be content with a mid-table finish based on feedback on this thread is part of the 80% bollocks, which ever way you spin it, and however blunt you are.  If you want everyone to just state it's HMS Piss the league, just put that in the title and some posters will avoid it.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:23:24 »

Listened to Not the Top 20 Podcast predictions for League 2 which had Swindon in 16th. They thought that the new manager, new director of football and largely unproven signings (MacDonald excepted) created a lot of uncertainty. They also said the outgoings: Wollacott, Odimayo, Egbo, Conroy and Payne would be big misses which I would disagree with. I'd only really say that Payne was a key cog in last year's team out of the above departures. George Elek also said that the club would have been keen for Conroy to stay. Personally I think the opposite! Despite this I'm inclined to agree with their overall assessment. Fingers crossed that some of the new signings hit the ground running.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 14:31:17 »

I've no idea on the window being good, bad or indifferent.

On paper it looks like we've recruited a mixed bag, and don't have a proven striker beyond McKirdy. Hence mid table feels right in absence of anything else.

There are also many people in the twitterverse that think we will get promoted too. 

Anything is possible isn't it? Well, I'd be surprised to get relegated to say the least. But otherwise.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: