Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Moany thread about STFC and the Board  (Read 7900 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 19:08:23 »

We get the same moany bollocks on here every pre-season.

Can't wait for the season to start so I can read about how shit we are at football again.

Avoiding any penalty shoot outs.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 19:23:28 »

A serious post...

Last year, on the first day of the season, I thought Scunthorpe played quite nice football. They seemed to have some decent players, who passed the ball around well. Unfortunately for them, we were able to rip into them and won comfortably. However, I felt that had they had a threat up top, it might have been a different game.

As the season progressed, we saw what happened to Scunthorpe.

My fear for us is that we may end up being this year's Scunthorpe. There is a fine line between playing nice stuff and winning and playing the same way and losing. I'm hoping that the last couple of signings in the 22/25 squad will make the difference for us.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 19:29:12 »

we haven't signed any strikers yet NMH. That's going to be key
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 20:14:57 »

A serious post...

Last year, on the first day of the season, I thought Scunthorpe played quite nice football. They seemed to have some decent players, who passed the ball around well. Unfortunately for them, we were able to rip into them and won comfortably. However, I felt that had they had a threat up top, it might have been a different game.

As the season progressed, we saw what happened to Scunthorpe.

My fear for us is that we may end up being this year's Scunthorpe. There is a fine line between playing nice stuff and winning and playing the same way and losing. I'm hoping that the last couple of signings in the 22/25 squad will make the difference for us.

I am genuinely very concerned.
More so than this time last season - We knew what we had, this season we don’t and the team looks considerably weaker with less experience.

We have lost Hunt to add to the exodus.
Desperately need Payne and once again the lottery of loan players.
Last season we got them spot on with no guarantees this season we will get it right again.

Can only hope the new lads are far better than expectation.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 20:19:20 »

we haven't signed any strikers yet NMH. That's going to be key

Only had one decent striker last season in Simpson.
If he got injured we would have struggled.
Can only imagine how much better we would have been with one extra Striker that could have  scored around 15. Clearly irrelevant now but was hoping after the free hit season this one we would kick on.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 20:45:37 »

I want to complain about the urinal cakes used in the bogs.

They’re just not lemony enough.

Fucking disgrace.

And what's with the plastic sieve things they have in urinals now.

..never go back.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 21:28:59 »

Only had one decent striker last season in Simpson.
If he got injured we would have struggled.

The irony is that we actually had a better PPG record after Simpson left.

Admittedly mostly due to Harry’s form in the second half of the season, but maybe we don’t need a decent striker.

Hopefully we do get one though
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, July 8, 2022, 21:42:32 »

We obviously do need a striker or two. We don't necessarily need a 20 goal striker. But, a big fella to hold the ball up and bring others into the game is required

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 07:13:40 »

We obviously do need a striker or two. We don't necessarily need a 20 goal striker. But, a big fella to hold the ball up and bring others into the game is required
But players like that don’t come cheap,  Clem is going to have to realise we are not going to get players like Simpson for free every season, personally, from what I can gather Simpson would be happy to return,  so instead of three or four cheap/average players, bite the bullet Clem, whatever he costs he can make the difference plus could return a nice profit in a season or two’s time.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 07:30:04 »

I would prefer a smaller squad with quality players rather than a squad of 25 where many just don't cut it. If we're unfortunate with injuries we would have to promote within.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 08:02:49 »

The irony is that we actually had a better PPG record after Simpson left.

Admittedly mostly due to Harry’s form in the second half of the season, but maybe we don’t need a decent striker.

Hopefully we do get one though

That’s because Davison still got goals for us.
He wasn’t the perfect striker, he had flaws and certain aspects (or lack there of) of his game cost us massively in the play offs imo (as did our lack of options)
…however…it seems most of our fans would turn our noses up at Davison coming back.

I personally think he’d be a good addition to the squad but also think it would be a mistake going into a season with Davison as our first choice and only striker…but…Garner was obviously a fan and now he’s the Charlton manager so can’t imagine Davison is going out on loan any time soon anyway.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #26 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 08:46:25 »

I am genuinely very concerned.
More so than this time last season - We knew what we had, this season we don’t and the team looks considerably weaker with less experience.

We have lost Hunt to add to the exodus.
Desperately need Payne and once again the lottery of loan players.
Last season we got them spot on with no guarantees this season we will get it right again.

Can only hope the new lads are far better than expectation.

But that simply is not the case whatsoever. We have vast amounts more experience than this time last year and a striker who scored over 20 goals. I am staggered that it is being classed as an exodus, it really doesn't help

Conroy-Fans are a bit meh about
Akin-Hunt-Egbo- 3 right backs that not one was a regular starter. Egbo you can argue we desperately wanted to keep but the other 2 in no way would have been starters if he stayed
Wollocott- Wasn't even first choice keeper

This whole no experience absolutely staggers me i have to be honest, we have around 6 starters in our team over the age of 25 with so much experience
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 08:55:48 »

Rob Hunt played in 37 league games last season.  Conroy 35, AK 35

not as starters all the time.

now we have a much younger and less experienced rear guard (squad) , although shade at least matches last season's totals

that's where the concern comes from.

not unreasonable. but not necessarily  with foundation.

The newbies are unknown quantites. The fears will be gone if they get a couple of good performances in early doors. Same as it ever was.

However I'm really struggling to see where the budget uplift is being applied so far.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 08:56:19 »

Bit harsh to claim Wollocott wasn’t first choice keeper. He was for the majority of the season & only got dropped because of his contract situation.

I’ve made my point on experience. We don’t lack experience per say but lack game management. We need to add someone with good game management skills whether they are 20 or 32.

Also, the lack of game management may have been down to the manager.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, July 9, 2022, 08:57:17 »

Quote from: DiV
Also, the lack of game management may have been down to the manager.

good point. bit if both I reckon
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: