Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Conservatory roofs  (Read 1763 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 12, 2022, 09:52:11 »

Anybody changed their conservatory roof to tiles and if so was It beneficial for summer/winter temperatures and how did the installer leave the finished ceiling painted or not?

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 12, 2022, 14:32:26 »

We are looking to do something similar so will be interested to hear responses to this.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 12, 2022, 14:36:06 »

We are looking to do something similar so will be interested to hear responses to this.

I'll keep you posted

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 12, 2022, 23:39:26 »

Depends if your conservatory is all UPVC.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 03:14:51 »

Depends if your conservatory is all UPVC.

It's my parents and yes all UPVC built on a 2-3 ft brick wall

So, give no fucks
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 07:47:03 »

I've recently change my conservatory roof from poly-carbonate to dark tinted glass.  I considered the tile option but decided against it.

The main reason being the cost £11k for glass v £18k for tile plus the additional cost of finishing the inside etc.

Also, you have to make sure the conservatory foundations go deep enough to take the extra weight - we weren't sure our did but the cost put us off any way.

The glass has transformed the conservatory, warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer - still cold mind you but nowhere near as cold. We also have a gas fueled faux log burner which brings it up to a good warmth in no time at all. 
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 07:54:19 »

Local.....

https://www.hightechwindows.co.uk/high-tech-conservatories/conservatory-roofs/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwJuVBhCAARIsAOPwGAT0EPCWKdIhB21u30jT6CF4agInGPxX3QL-QbfIRh4B-SRABbftvv4aAiWiEALw_wcB
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 07:56:47 »

Is there any question of planning permission etc if it is deemed to be an extension?
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 08:23:56 »

Our local garden centre had contractors in to line the inside of the cafe roof with insulation board as it got too hot in the summer.

This may work in your case?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 08:41:28 »

Also, you have to make sure the conservatory foundations go deep enough to take the extra weight - we weren't sure our did but the cost put us off any way.

This, if its uPVC whatever dwarf wall/foundation it is built on I would be extremely careful in making any assumptions that a uPVC frame can hold a tile roof without getting a structural engineer (And their PII) involved.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 09:15:32 »

It does seem to be the 'in thing' at the moment. As others have said, I wouldn't be confident adding all that weight to what is essentially a plastic structure.

I looked into it for our conservatory and decided that ultimately it wouldn't cost that much more to just remove the conservatory and build it as a proper extension.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 09:23:53 »

My parents did the same Sam.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 09:24:48 »

It does seem to be the 'in thing' at the moment. As others have said, I wouldn't be confident adding all that weight to what is essentially a plastic structure.

I looked into it for our conservatory and decided that ultimately it wouldn't cost that much more to just remove the conservatory and build it as a proper extension.

This is what we are mulling over as well. Mrs Bob hates conservatories and would rather make it more of an extension rather than just putting some lipstick on a pig.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 17:30:11 »

I had mine done last year, having recently bought a bungalow in Norfolk, plan was to build an extension & take conservatory down.  Lack of builders & ridiculous quotes I got the conservatory roof done.  Best thing I did, it wasn't cheap @ £6.5k but a lot cheaper than an extesion & we now have it as a dining room albeit quite small.  We were going to pull down the kitchen window & ajoining door (still might) but were told we would need planning.  Overall a great investment & yep its warm in the winter & much cooler (so far) in the summer.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, June 13, 2022, 17:31:38 »

I had mine done last year, having recently bought a bungalow in Norfolk, plan was to build an extension & take conservatory down.  Lack of builders & ridiculous quotes I got the conservatory roof done.  Best thing I did, it wasn't cheap @ £6.5k but a lot cheaper than an extesion & we now have it as a dining room albeit quite small.  We were going to pull down the kitchen window & ajoining door (still might) but were told we would need planning.  Overall a great investment & yep its warm in the winter & much cooler (so far) in the summer.

Many thanks for sharing

So, give no fucks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: