Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Artificial grass  (Read 2728 times)
jimbob

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 30, 2022, 20:13:31 »

Been let down by someone who was supposed to be doing my garden 🙄. Anyone done it themselves? Easy? Difficult? What did you learn that you would do differently next time?

Ta
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 30, 2022, 21:34:16 »

Yes
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 06:26:32 »

Evil stuff.

Breaks down after a few years (then microplastics in the soil), with weeds showing through, discolours and is terrible for bees, wildlife, and the planet.

Do yourself and the environment a favour a lay natural grass.  Smiley

Cats are better than dogs FACT
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:20:02 »

I used Lazy Lawn and they did a terrific job.

Laying it yourself is not rocket science per say...but Plastering and Bricklaying isnt either and that looks shit if you get it wrong!

My advice would be...watch a load of Youtube Videos and get the most expensive fake stuff you can afford...not that shite stuff that looks like the greengrocers off the market in two years.....see Gnasher comments...

Clems Army!
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:24:27 »

Namgrass is good. Give me a shout if you're interested and I can price some up for you

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:46:23 »

You need a good base to start with.
I used 4 tons of type 2 sub base and 2 tons of sharp sand. Used a wacker plate on it. The grass I got was £30 per square metre. Buy decent. You need a good weed suppressor too.
I framed the area where the grass was going with treated timber, so I could tidy the edges up. You need special fitting kits, including big fuck off nails, special bonding agent that comes in a mastic type tube, joint hoops and some special tape which is used with the border to join two pieces.
You also need to brush a few bags of soft sand over the grass to weigh it down.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:49:54 by 4D » Logged
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:49:21 »

It's easier sticking with grass and getting the lawnmower out every of weeks😀

So, give no fucks
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:50:50 »

I wouldn't go back to a muddy, weedy lawn that needs cutting every fortnight. Worth the effort.

* sketch-1653991834219_copy_511x270.png (309.92 KB, 511x270 - viewed 143 times.)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:54:35 by 4D » Logged
Gnasher

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:51:47 »

It's easier sticking with grass and getting the lawnmower out every of weeks😀

Thank god someone else has some sense on here!

Read this before you lay it -
https://www.jackwallington.com/17-reasons-to-avoid-fake-lawns-how-bad-is-artificial-grass-for-the-environment/

It might look alright at first but wait until the algae and moss grow on it, not to mention the water can't soak away. Oh, and leaves that fall on it can't break down into the soil, so they turn to mush on top.

If you can't be arsed to cut the lawn then just cut a path through it and let the flowers grow :-)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:56:31 by Gnasher » Logged

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:54:35 »

Thank god someone else has some sense on here!

Clap

So, give no fucks
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:55:38 »

And it still looks like that after 5 years (no mowing, just the occasional vacuuming)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:57:32 »

We have fake grass around our house, installed by the housebuilders because it was concreted over before and clearly they couldn't be arsed to put in any mud.

It's fine. I wouldn't choose it, plenty of weeds manage to grow on it anyway (despite there being nothing but concrete underneath it, life is incredible sometimes). Personally I'd rather have something a bit less... Milton Keynes but I can see the attraction in not having to cut it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:57:40 »

Nothing beats the smell of freshly cut grass😀

So, give no fucks
harrisonaw

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 09:59:01 »

Just recently finished our back garden after giving up trying to grow a lawn. (Absolutely destroyed by leather jackets)

All done by ourselves,  dug out all of the stones (Now on the left of the picture) I used the left over straggler stones as a base, dug in a border for the main grass area and levelled off with sharp sand and whacker plated down. Bought the grass from B&Q i think it was called linden. Never done anything to this extent before but pretty happy with how it came out. Got a few quotes from people which were around £4k - I think we've spent around £1,500 max. Its hard work to do it yourself but definitely worth it Smiley

* garden2.jpg (210.81 KB, 1440x756 - viewed 158 times.)
Gnasher

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2022, 10:00:06 »

Just recently finished our back garden after giving up trying to grow a lawn. (Absolutely destroyed by leather jackets)

All done by ourselves,  dug out all of the stones (Now on the left of the picture) I used the left over straggler stones as a base, dug in a border for the main grass area and levelled off with sharp sand and whacker plated down. Bought the grass from B&Q i think it was called linden. Never done anything to this extent before but pretty happy with how it came out. Got a few quotes from people which were around £4k - I think we've spent around £1,500 max. Its hard work to do it yourself but definitely worth it Smiley

Looks as lifeless as the moon (no offence)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: