Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The TEF 2021-22 Player Of The Year Virtual Awards Ceremony  (Read 1316 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 10:29:38 »

Ok TEF, listen up. I've left it a few days for the voting frenzy to die down, and so before the season completely wraps up, here are the winners of the 2021-2022 Man of the Match polls to elect the TEF Player of the Year.

Worth pointing out that the TEF plaudits are the most statistically accurate of any STFC end-of-season awards, in that they come after the 56th and last match has been completed, and that they recognise not only single standout players per game, but also consistent performers who may not win so many MoMs, but regularly rack up points.

So, here are the highlights from this year's stats:

ENGAGEMENT: In all, 2778 TEF MoM votes were cast over the season, a 29% increase in participation over 2020-21, with an average of 50 votes being cast per game vs 44 last season.

DEPTH: 36 players made first-team appearances (vs 39 last year), of whom all but three attracted at least one MoM vote. Those who quite excusably missed out were FRANCIS, FOX and DWORZAK, who each made only one app (the latter pair as subs) in the Papa John's defeat to Colchester. Still, pity their parents didn't come onto the TEF for the day!

CONSISTENCY: In total votes accumulated across the season, the top five voted MoM nominees were:
  • 5th: Jonny WILLIAMS (176)
  • 4th: Louis REED (220)
  • 3rd: Jack PAYNE (274)
  • 2nd: Ellis IANDOLO (291)
  • 1st: Harry McKIRDY (311)

IMPACT: Adjusting the number of MoM votes per match played shows the valuable contribution of players who made fewer appearances:
  • 5th: Anthony GRANT (average 6.43 votes from 7 apps)
  • 4th: Mo DABRE (6.60 from 5)
  • 3rd: Jack PAYNE (6.68 from 41)
  • 2nd: Harry McKIRDY (7.07 from 44)
  • 1st:  Mathieu BAUDRY (8.74 from 19)

2021 MOST MoMs WINNER: This year's winner of the most MoM awards, in reverse order:
  • 5th=: Mathieu BAUDRY, Dion CONROY, Romoney CRICHLOW, Jonny WILLIAMS (3 MoMs each)
  • 4th: Louis REED (4)
  • 3rd: Ellis IANDOLO (5)
  • 2nd: Jack PAYNE (7)
  • 1st: Harry McKIRDY (7.33)

On a review of all these criteria, I hereby declare the TEF PLAYER OF THE YEAR FOR 2021-22 to be:

Clap Too Cool Harry McKIRDY Beers

I've attempted to attach the spreadsheet for anyone who's interested in delving into the detail. One conclusion however, is that because TEFers could only nominate one standout player per game, a MoM system rewards the spectacular over the promising, and in a successful season matchwinners over matchsavers, which may help to explain the absence of a KESLER-HAYDEN, HUNT, WARD or WOLLACOTT for instance from these lists.

Perhaps someone should do a BBC-style points per player system next season...

* TEF MoM.xls (84 KB - downloaded 63 times.)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 10:32:15 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 10:32:14 »

Cheers for keeping this going over the season, don't think there's much to disagree with there.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 10:45:04 »

Good stuff Rouge one. Hard to argue, although early on I would have thought Wollacott had it in the bag...a superb start to the season.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 10:55:25 »

Good stuff Rouge one. Hard to argue, although early on I would have thought Wollacott had it in the bag...a superb start to the season.

Yes, I was a bit surprised. His only MoMs came very early with clean sheets in our third and fourth games of the season, Tranmere (H 0-0) and Salford (A 0-1).

I suppose in a regularly winning team, the focus is on the front end. Compare with last season, when the second-placed player was Lee CAMP, with 5 MoMs from 11 appearances at the dog-end of the season.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 14:17:45 »

Well done RF you have done a sterling job compiling all of the MotM's and polls etc.

Good work sir.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 15:54:00 »

What PV said..  Good work Froggy

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: