Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Vegas...  (Read 5232 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 04:48:23 »

i absolutley love NYC, many dont but its an amazing place

Agree. Love to go back.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 08:34:01 »

Ok, ruse dropped, going with my Missus to actually officially make her my Mrs, after April's slight wedding on fire issue...

Wanting to hire a meaty V8 car to go bowling around in for a day, anyone got any experience?

We hired a Mustang convertible (It was either a V6 or V8) when we went to Florida a few years back. All I can really remember was that to hire it was absolutely cheap as chips, way way way cheaper per day than to hire the smallest car you can get in England/Ireland. Also at the time gas/petrol was cheap. 

I enjoyed driving around in it, but speed limits did seem harsher than in England and the presence of the local county sheriff around every corner meant it was a little bit pointless. It was fun though for a few days and can tick off that i've driven a mustang!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 09:16:43 »

but speed limits did seem harsher than in England and the presence of the local county sheriff around every corner meant it was a little bit pointless.
Bear in mind that an American mile is longer than a UK mile so a 25mph speed limit is nearer 29mph in UK terms.

In some states its legal to drive at 85mph which is the same as 100mph in the UK, and the usual 70mph speed limit is 81mph in UK terms.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 09:58:24 »

Bear in mind that an American mile is longer than a UK mile so a 25mph speed limit is nearer 29mph in UK terms.

Sorry what? This has blown my mind a bit.

Imperial measurements are batshit.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 10:04:16 »

Sorry what? This has blown my mind a bit.

Imperial measurements are batshit.
American gallons are also smaller than a UK gallon. US gallon=3.785 litre but in the UK 4.546 litres. Hence car mpg figures in the US seem way lower than the same car in the UK as we get more fuel per gallon than they get in the US.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 10:54:29 »

in mind that an American mile is longer than a UK mile so a 25mph speed limit is nearer 29mph in UK terms.
Are you sure? I don't think it is.  5280 feet

the liquid measurements are. We get short changed on American pints,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 11:01:39 »

According to Wiki (I know!!) the US Survey Mile and the International Mile is different by 3.2 mm.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 11:07:10 »

Quote from: Bob's Orange
According to Wiki (I know!!) the US Survey Mile and the International Mile is different by 3.2 mm.

I'll live with it Smiley 1.6 meters for every 500 miles.

Assume road signs are not accurate to 3.2mm even if they aren't statute miles
Peter Venkman

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 11:15:29 »

Could have been I was mistaken about US miles and UK Nautical miles Smiley as you were.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 11:24:29 »

Could have been I was mistaken about US miles and UK Nautical miles Smiley as you were.

No worries mate. I would have believed you if it wasn't for that pesky Batch! Smiley

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 12:16:00 »

Are you sure? I don't think it is.  5280 feet

the liquid measurements are. We get short changed on American pints,

American's tend to skip around with Imperial measurements, so they stick to Ounces for fluid measures and not really use pints, then move to Gallons.  They stop at Pounds for weight.  Oddly, I do see Pint used, but usually for Chinese food - so a Pint of Egg Fried Rice, or a Quart!  

They also introduced Federal Guidelines for Weights and Measures in the 1970's I think, which never got forced.  As a result you have some quirks like a Liter used for large fizzy drink bottles, where it was an early adopter, likely due to global sales at the time.

I guess it's no different than the UK switching from Decimal to Imperial with distances and speed.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 12:45:33 »

The use of cups as a measurement in US recipes is a mild inconvenience.
Just have to remember that 1 cup is roughly 250ml.

The Thirteen Colonies are probably beyond saving now. Even bringing them back into the Imperial fold wouldn't help.

Loved Vegas by the way.
Stayed in the pyramid for 4 nights back in 2001 as part of a 60 day pass Greyhound bus jaunt across the country.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 19:31:07 »

Pretty certain that we're not gonna be hitting any of the clubs, short of finding a rock or metal bar, ha! Looking at the temps over there at the minute and wincing... but can't bloody wait.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2022, 19:33:15 »

Pretty certain that we're not gonna be hitting any of the clubs, short of finding a rock or metal bar, ha! Looking at the temps over there at the minute and wincing... but can't bloody wait.

The heat is so very dry.
Stick your head close to when you open up an oven. It’s like that 😎
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, July 22, 2022, 08:50:44 »

Our oven broke yesterday, I'll try not to look for any hidden meaning in that... :-D

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: