Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham into non-league  (Read 5330 times)
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 16:55:14 »

So, we don't get the dubious honour of being the first club which has played in the Premier League to drop out of the league entirely, as I feared would be the case in June.

As someone who remembers the history from the 80s to now, it has been my thought for a while that Oldham and us have had very similar journeys, while also watching far less "traditional" rivals go past them: Forest Green and Cheltenham for us, Salford for them.

Don't misunderstand me, I have no love at all for Sheridan and his Jurassic Park the bus style. However, I can't help but look and feel a twinge of sympathy. After all, it could so easily have been us.

"Absolute Calamity!"
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:06:22 »

Yes - back in pre season with 8 contracted players - it could easily have been us.
I heard on the Loathed Stranger podcast the other week that there are only two teams in L2 apart from us who are under the transfer embargo - Oldham and Scunthorpe.
We should all reflect on that and think about whether Chorley and Garner have done well to get us to where we are - play off contenders.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:10:33 »

Football fans are fickle and only remember the last game. Like his style of football or not Garner has done a great job in a short space of time and what he had to work with but next season will be what he's judged on.

So, give no fucks
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:11:09 »

Couldn't agree more mate. Every time I've looked at the National League table in the last 15-20 years I've thought to myself, "there but for the grace of God go us" and even though I'm slightly disappointed with how this season has turned out...call me fickle if you like...(and I do realise we're not out of it yet) I never take our football league status for granted.

Oldham had an incredible side in the late 80's/early 90's....what a team - Andy Ritchie, Ian Marshall, Tommy Wright (remember him?), Frankie Bunn, Mike Milligan. I was never a fan of their plastic pitch but at they time they were absolutely unplayable most of the time.

Like you say, it could so easily have been us. God forbid that it ever is us...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:13:08 »

What's just as sad is nobody remembers Bury anymore.

So, give no fucks
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:25:30 »

Heart breaking as have nothing but respect for their fans.
Every time I have visited Boundary Park they have been class.

Hopefully the end of that piece of shit in charge.
Should never have been appointed. Unfortunately has taken them down falling out with players once again.
Complete Wanker.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:27:20 »

In other non league news, Taunton Town are going up to the National League South.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:32:09 »

In other non league news, Taunton Town are going up to the National League South.

I don't ever hear anything about them is that your neck of the woods.

So, give no fucks
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 17:50:42 »

Yes - back in pre season with 8 contracted players - it could easily have been us.
I heard on the Loathed Stranger podcast the other week that there are only two teams in L2 apart from us who are under the transfer embargo - Oldham and Scunthorpe.
We should all reflect on that and think about whether Chorley and Garner have done well to get us to where we are - play off contenders.

Under those circumstances, it's little short of miraculous.

"Absolute Calamity!"
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 18:42:05 »

I don't ever hear anything about them is that your neck of the woods.

Yes

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 18:45:30 »

Yes

Cheers

So, give no fucks
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 18:47:03 »

A fucking horrible club and proof that cheaters prosper. They're like Brentford circa 2010 but worse. Manager and backroom staff constantly on at the ref and linos. Players going down like snipers hit them. Leaving their boots in and then running away from the foul. Players constantly surrounding the ref. Good fucking riddance. I hope they get totally docked every game next season.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 18:54:50 »

A fucking horrible club and proof that cheaters prosper. They're like Brentford circa 2010 but worse. Manager and backroom staff constantly on at the ref and linos. Players going down like snipers hit them. Leaving their boots in and then running away from the foul. Players constantly surrounding the ref. Good fucking riddance. I hope they get totally docked every game next season.

My bestie who is big on Marine says the same as you.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 18:59:13 »

Looking forward to another successful season

Nothing to see here
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 23, 2022, 19:10:20 »

I had every bit of sympathy until they found it hilarious when sheridan took us down and reminded us throughout the game last month
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: