Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Newport County pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34703 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:06:44 »

Jojo

Egbo        JOB      Baudry      Tommo

Payne            Reed               Landolo

Williams        Davison         Barry
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:16:47 »

A little bit off topic perhaps but what did people think about McKirdy not being at the sponsor's dinner this week as he was at Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea get thumped in the Champions League? I know that footballers should be allowed time off etc, but surely as a professional player employed by us, and presumably sponsored by people I felt a little disappointed that he wasn't at the CG for it. Perhaps he is going to do something instead for those sponsors but I am not sure he should be treated any differently to the other players. (who I think were all there)
I thought it was naughty, but I imagine McKirdy is the type of fella that if you don’t let him do what he wants, he will throw his toys out of the pram, so there’s no good in that for anyone.

I think the Chelsea thing was one of the reasons he fell out with Carlisle.

I dont have a problem with that at all.

Its football and like us he is a fan.

I had to sit through a boring Sales Conference in Holland whilst England V Brazil was being played as we were refused permission and didnt attend the day do for a wedding as it clashed with FA Cup Final.

Now....if he missed it due to a parents evening...then throw him to the dogs! Smiley

Clems Army!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:17:05 »

Would anyone favour a return to 3 at the back for tomorrow?

Not for me.

We were crying out for a change from that formation at home, as we couldn't win a game.
So to revert to it in a game we really need to win seems counter productive.

So Reed back, probably for Aguiar is a bit of a no brainer.

We then pick the best two CH's for the game, for me that is Conroy or Baudry (who are comfortable bringing the ball out) plus O'Brien or Odimayo (one that is a defender first).

I don't know if Newport have a lot of pace in the team, but if they do then that has to be a consideration.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:33:26 »

Jojo

Very harsh on Rob Hunt and Conroy - they don't deserve to be dropped

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #49 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:33:29 »

I don't know if Newport have a lot of pace in the team, but if they do then that has to be a consideration.
In the away game they were one of the best passing teams that we have played this season IMO.

They werent the fastest of teams but workmanlike and passed the ball well and got a few crosses in our box.

Their keeper Joe Day always looks a weak link to me, a proper flapper of a keeper even by L2 standards.

They have only scored 8 goals in the last 7 games so rarely get man goals, they have also not won in the last 3 games with 1 draw and 2 defeats.

Their top scorer is the useful Dom Telford who has bagged himself 24 goals so far this season.

They also have one of the odlest players in the EFL in Kevin Ellison who is 43 now!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:35:19 »

Tbh I wouldn't mind them in place of the two I chose, just thought this was a more attack minded option.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:35:46 »

But then again based on performance neither does Baudry. However if JOB is fit I think he automatically replaced the Frenchman. I guess the Egbo for Hunt change is to try and get on the front foot at home. Rob Hunt is perfectly adequate, but he doesn't offer that danger in attack that you would imagine (and it's not a huge sample size, granted) Egbo does.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:36:39 »

In the away game they were one of the best passing teams that we have played this season IMO.

They werent the fastest of teams but workmanlike and passed the ball well and got a few crosses in our box.

Their keeper Joe Day always looks a weak link to me, a proper flapper of a keeper even by L2 standards.

They have only scored 8 goals in the last 7 games so rarely get man goals, they have also not won in the last 3 games with 1 draw and 2 defeats.

Their top scorer is the useful Dom Telford who has bagged himself 24 goals so far this season.

They also have one of the odlest players in the EFL in Kevin Ellison who is 43 now!

Shame Harry isn't playing. That early season 'beef' with Ellison was amusing.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #53 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 10:47:48 »

Shame Harry isn't playing. That early season 'beef' with Ellison was amusing.
It was but it would probably have resulted in another fine for his behaviour TBH! but then he could just wave his magic wand and stop that....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 11:38:02 »

But then again based on performance neither does Baudry. However if JOB is fit I think he automatically replaced the Frenchman. I guess the Egbo for Hunt change is to try and get on the front foot at home. Rob Hunt is perfectly adequate, but he doesn't offer that danger in attack that you would imagine (and it's not a huge sample size, granted) Egbo does.

Yeah I get it, but a few weeks ago people were saying that Conroy shouldn't come straight back into the team after an injury due to those that deputised doing so well, but for JOB it is ok..  I agree that we need to squeeze Egbo into the team somehow for his attacking attributes - maybe Egbo should be the new alternative for Williams that Gladwin played in the early part of the season - switch between those 2 starting and swapping after an hour.  Williams has been far more impactful coming off of the bench IMO.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 11:53:16 »

Yeah I get it, but a few weeks ago people were saying that Conroy shouldn't come straight back into the team after an injury due to those that deputised doing so well, but for JOB it is ok.

I understand what you are saying, and to a point agree. However I would say is that it's a bit different missing one game to missing half a dozen, especially when during those games we won three on the spin (with two at home) and had Cooper & O'Brien playing together.

Dion did come back in Once Cooper was injured, and by and large has deserved to keep his place since.

We also feel it's right that Reed comes straight back in, because he's better than anyone else available.

If Garner thinks JOB is a better option for this game then he should pick him
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 11:58:27 »

Yeah I get it, but a few weeks ago people were saying that Conroy shouldn't come straight back into the team after an injury due to those that deputised doing so well, but for JOB it is ok..  I agree that we need to squeeze Egbo into the team somehow for his attacking attributes - maybe Egbo should be the new alternative for Williams that Gladwin played in the early part of the season - switch between those 2 starting and swapping after an hour.  Williams has been far more impactful coming off of the bench IMO.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I personally have been very disappointed with Williams on the whole when he plays from the start and reckon he should be dropped to the bench. He does seem to be targeted as our danger man by a lot of teams, against Rochdale he had 3 on him very quickly quite a few times towards the beginning of the game.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 12:14:35 »

I'm not yet convinced by egbo. too early either way really

but he's certainly stretching the oppo defence
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 13:14:52 »

Jojo

Our Achilles heel is pretty obvious when you see this on paper.  Not a defensive bone in the body of any of  the three midfielders.  Iandolo loses people with regularity (while being a great crosser of the ball and certainly a much better player here than at left back), Reed is a conductor of the orchestra and can nibble at players but is hardly an enforcer, and Payne is technically gifted but runs around like a 11 year school boy chasing the ball and trying to get involved.  Nobody who can tackle properly, but more importantly, no real defensive shape.  It relies entirely on us having the ball.

It's still a good team for this level, we have the ball far more than other teams and are likely to create plenty of opportunities as a result.  It's just that you don't have to be Moses to part that Red Sea.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, April 8, 2022, 13:41:26 »

Stick Williams in alongside Reed and go 442. Add a body to the midfield.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: