Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rochdale v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20673 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 11:41:01 »

There is definitely emerged a pattern of our games that have become frustratingly familiar. On Saturday we weren't amazing, or terrible but whilst we had most of the play Swindon never actually ever look that dangerous. We never seem to continually create openings or pepper shots on goal in a 20/30 minute spell. We play some good football that eventually leads to a half chance that Josh Davison invariably doesn't take, but you wouldn't ever call us a dangerous side.

Again first half hour we were the better side, prompting and probing and actually forcing their keeper into a couple of good saves. Davison has to score his chance but give credit to the keeper for a smart save. As always, the opposition then gets a little foothold into the game and our lack of being able to do anything when we have dominated possession, whilst not coming back to haunt us, makes things harder. Second half was like a dull boxing match that probably would have been a draw on both judges scorecards. Neither team really looked like scoring, aside from the openings Davison had/didn't have.

Rochdale at home actually have a good record against the top sides and so I guess a draw isn't the worst result in the world but at this stage, where we really should be putting these sides to the sword. I dare say having McKirdy available might have made a difference, but Rochdale were organised at the back so maybe not. I think we miss Reed of course, without him we never seem to win (Not sure if that's a fact or not) and he really makes the side tick. If fit enough I'd be tempted to start Egbo on Saturday as he looks miles more of a threat than Hunt on the right, shame about his final delivery however.

The main thing I think that is missing from us is our intensity. The way we set out is to dictate play, pull the opposition out of position and punish them. But I don't think we play with enough intensity to actually do that. Let's not forget these are L2 players and so playing a possession game means not losing the ball and the more intense you play, the more likely you are to lose the ball. Newport is now massive on Saturday. Not quite a winner takes all, but as I mentioned in the MDT, the loser is really playing catchup as we move into Hot Cross Bun territory.

It’s feel at times like we’re a team of stat padders.
The more passes the better. The more possession the better.

We don’t have enough players who want to (maybe allowed to?) take a gamble.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the player that loses possession for us most often is McKirdy because again he’s the only player we have with any impetus to run forward with the ball & try to create something. Obviously that’s a gamble, it might work - he might lose possession but you have to take those gambles if you want to win games.

Passing back 5 yards to Reed is only going to get us so far.
I’m not in the ‘get forward’ all the time every time aimlessly but there is no harm in mixing it up. It’s how we got the win against Sutton.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 11:43:06 »

Don't know if fotmob app is accurate, but...

* Screenshot_20220404_125751.jpg (120.51 KB, 1074x1176 - viewed 149 times.)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 11:43:07 »

I want to see us play again like we did at home to Northampton.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #363 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 13:01:41 »

I could understand the complaints if other stats didn't back up why we play like it. We are second in the scoring charts and  in chances created and shots . We have 2 strikers with 28 goals between them from open play as well. With a team that has had to play some of the players we have had to this season we are doing fine. Defensively we are totally shite though
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 13:21:12 »

Given the way we are, defending is clearly the problem and has been all season.  You should not have 60% possession in games and concede as many as we have.  That puts the pressure on the Frontline.  On that front, McKirdy and Reed drive the team.  One makes us tick and the other must have nearly 40% of our total shots this season.  We are not quick enough to open teams up with regularity so having someone who can do it on their own makes a difference.  Like losing KKH who didn't really have the end product but scared the shit out of defenders.  That alone makes a difference in creating space and moving defenders out of shape.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 13:22:50 »

How come we can hit 66% accurate long passes but only 17% accurate crosses? That’s where the problem lies going forward.

There’s nowt much a few tweaks and a couple of player upgrades won’t fix for next season.

As for the defensive weaknesses - it’s because our defenders primary responsibility is to help launch attacks not actually defend. Until that is solved, that particular problem will remain - no matter who the players are.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 13:56:35 »

How come we can hit 66% accurate long passes but only 17% accurate crosses? That’s where the problem lies going forward.

There’s nowt much a few tweaks and a couple of player upgrades won’t fix for next season.

As for the defensive weaknesses - it’s because our defenders primary responsibility is to help launch attacks not actually defend. Until that is solved, that particular problem will remain - no matter who the players are.
If the Rochdale game is anything to go by, it's because there's barely ever anybody in the box to pick out with a cross.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 13:58:09 »

Unfortunately it’s going to be one big rebuild next season.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:03:08 »

Well, the 'positive' way of looking at that is:

We built a team this year. It wasn't quite good enough to go up. So, rebuilding it to make it better for next year is good.....as long as the team is BETTER than what we have now (unlike the team that was built for L1 last time).

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:10:48 »

I assume you are expecting a few to not sign new contracts then?
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:26:02 »

I assume you are expecting a few to not sign new contracts then?

More about costs.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:27:49 »

It sounds like we're going backwards again and makes you wonder If we're equipped to go up should it happen.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:30:15 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #372 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:39:23 »

Good.  If we don't go up this season then we need better
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:43:47 »

Not necessarily a bad thing. We did it this season and we'll be in a much better position to do it 'properly' next. If we can continue to attract the calibre of players we did this season I can't see any reason why we can't do it better next.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 14:46:15 »

3/4 of our passing in our own half, whereas Rochdale's was less than half.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: