Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rochdale v Swindon Town pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 20670 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Sunday, April 3, 2022, 11:11:17 »

Let’s be fair, we’d have chewed anyones arm off up to the shoulder back in August for a play off spot.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Sunday, April 3, 2022, 12:13:49 »

Therein lies part of the problem. I refer to them as the Carling Sky brain dead. There is so much top flight football on TV now that I feel their perception of the game and the realities of it are skewed and cannot distinguish between what we see live in L2 and what they see on TV.

Aye, this. Had a guy behind me at the Man City game going apoplectic because Crichlow wasn’t defending very well against bernado silva and gabriel jesus

Things get better but they never get good
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Sunday, April 3, 2022, 13:25:05 »

Let’s be fair, we’d have chewed anyones arm off up to the shoulder back in August for a play off spot.

Which in a way IMHO backs up my Sky Carling comment. The teams above us have won more games or drawn a few more, either way they are above us on merit. Are they better than us? Maybe, maybe not but it is consistency that gets a team promoted or relegated. Last season we were consistently shocking. This year inconsistently very good.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Sunday, April 3, 2022, 15:18:31 »

Which in a way IMHO backs up my Sky Carling comment. The teams above us have won more games or drawn a few more, either way they are above us on merit. Are they better than us? Maybe, maybe not but it is consistency that gets a team promoted or relegated. Last season we were consistently shocking. This year inconsistently very good.
The fact that there are only 4 points between 3rd and 10th shows most teams are pretty inconsistent to be honest
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 3, 2022, 15:22:46 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, April 3, 2022, 15:37:54 »

The fact that there are only 4 points between 3rd and 10th shows most teams are pretty inconsistent to be honest

But not all, cream always rises to the top.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 00:36:09 »

But not all, cream always rises to the top.

When the cream is off it's a little heavier and bobs a tad below. Or as some may say "Close but no cigar"

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 07:47:17 »

Not sure it necessarily does. I mean it shows they haven’t been consistent for the whole season but few teams ever are.

For example, whilst we are very much a few steps forward, few steps back team - other teams will have started poorly and then go on/be on a good run of form. Rovers being a good example of this.

They are of similar league standing to us but right now they aren’t inconsistent because they are on good form, if that makes sense
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 07:54:10 »

This league has shown there isn't much between the teams. Rovers and Mansfield are two teams that suddenly came good. Why?
After trouncing us 3-0 Tranmere went on to win just 2 of their next 10 games after looking a very strong side.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 4, 2022, 07:58:40 by 4D » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 08:20:52 »

Frustrating listen that on Saturday.

When i looked at the highlights i felt worse...Davison really has to dive in for that cross that seemed to elude him.

Lets see what pans out but im delighted at our league position from last season and pre season positions. Added to that the CG is coming back i feel positive and thats a rare feeling following the Town.

Be nice to sneak in those play offs.

I will be at Walsall whatever and i will be happy but i hope im going bat shit crazy instead though....

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 08:23:43 »

There is definitely emerged a pattern of our games that have become frustratingly familiar. On Saturday we weren't amazing, or terrible but whilst we had most of the play Swindon never actually ever look that dangerous. We never seem to continually create openings or pepper shots on goal in a 20/30 minute spell. We play some good football that eventually leads to a half chance that Josh Davison invariably doesn't take, but you wouldn't ever call us a dangerous side.

Again first half hour we were the better side, prompting and probing and actually forcing their keeper into a couple of good saves. Davison has to score his chance but give credit to the keeper for a smart save. As always, the opposition then gets a little foothold into the game and our lack of being able to do anything when we have dominated possession, whilst not coming back to haunt us, makes things harder. Second half was like a dull boxing match that probably would have been a draw on both judges scorecards. Neither team really looked like scoring, aside from the openings Davison had/didn't have.

Rochdale at home actually have a good record against the top sides and so I guess a draw isn't the worst result in the world but at this stage, where we really should be putting these sides to the sword. I dare say having McKirdy available might have made a difference, but Rochdale were organised at the back so maybe not. I think we miss Reed of course, without him we never seem to win (Not sure if that's a fact or not) and he really makes the side tick. If fit enough I'd be tempted to start Egbo on Saturday as he looks miles more of a threat than Hunt on the right, shame about his final delivery however.

The main thing I think that is missing from us is our intensity. The way we set out is to dictate play, pull the opposition out of position and punish them. But I don't think we play with enough intensity to actually do that. Let's not forget these are L2 players and so playing a possession game means not losing the ball and the more intense you play, the more likely you are to lose the ball. Newport is now massive on Saturday. Not quite a winner takes all, but as I mentioned in the MDT, the loser is really playing catchup as we move into Hot Cross Bun territory.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 08:32:53 »

There is definitely emerged a pattern of our games that have become frustratingly familiar. On Saturday we weren't amazing, or terrible but whilst we had most of the play Swindon never actually ever look that dangerous. We never seem to continually create openings or pepper shots on goal in a 20/30 minute spell. We play some good football that eventually leads to a half chance that Josh Davison invariably doesn't take, but you wouldn't ever call us a dangerous side.

Again first half hour we were the better side, prompting and probing and actually forcing their keeper into a couple of good saves. Davison has to score his chance but give credit to the keeper for a smart save. As always, the opposition then gets a little foothold into the game and our lack of being able to do anything when we have dominated possession, whilst not coming back to haunt us, makes things harder. Second half was like a dull boxing match that probably would have been a draw on both judges scorecards. Neither team really looked like scoring, aside from the openings Davison had/didn't have.

Rochdale at home actually have a good record against the top sides and so I guess a draw isn't the worst result in the world but at this stage, where we really should be putting these sides to the sword. I dare say having McKirdy available might have made a difference, but Rochdale were organised at the back so maybe not. I think we miss Reed of course, without him we never seem to win (Not sure if that's a fact or not) and he really makes the side tick. If fit enough I'd be tempted to start Egbo on Saturday as he looks miles more of a threat than Hunt on the right, shame about his final delivery however.

The main thing I think that is missing from us is our intensity. The way we set out is to dictate play, pull the opposition out of position and punish them. But I don't think we play with enough intensity to actually do that. Let's not forget these are L2 players and so playing a possession game means not losing the ball and the more intense you play, the more likely you are to lose the ball. Newport is now massive on Saturday. Not quite a winner takes all, but as I mentioned in the MDT, the loser is really playing catchup as we move into Hot Cross Bun territory.

Excellent post.

Play well for long spells without causing panic to the opposition.

Clems Army!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 08:38:24 »

Which is why we miss McKirdy.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 09:28:44 »

As an aside I note the o-x-f, o-r-d song was sung today. I really am not comfortable with references to Joey Beachump being 6 feet deep. I think that’s very distasteful. Perhaps we could refer to Tommy Mooney having VD?

Ugh, that's not great to read but unfortunately not surprising. Wasn't there a ditty about Martin Aldridge aired at the CG when he was killed in a car accident?

Unrelated to us but I saw someone throwing some broken glass from a bottle at Ibrox yesterday. Some of the people that go to football are just sub-human.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 09:37:54 »

Which is why we miss McKirdy.
....and a goal scoring centre forward.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Monday, April 4, 2022, 09:56:40 »

This league has shown there isn't much between the teams. Rovers and Mansfield are two teams that suddenly came good. Why?
After trouncing us 3-0 Tranmere went on to win just 2 of their next 10 games after looking a very strong side.

Ultimately it comes down to squad depth to cover injuries and suspensions  - the back ups for Reed, McKirdy, Gladwin and Tomlinson are not of the same standard - so we miss them in particular if they are unavailable, and a smaller squad limits rotation options when we play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday- a number of our players’ fitness records (Williams and Gladwin the two obvious ones) mean if asked to play all three their performances dip.
This of course is linked to budget constraints - my guess is Mansfield and Rovers have bigger budgets than many others - Tranmere probably smaller budget.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: