Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sutton United pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26156 times)
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:30:28 »

Didn't realise at the time just how far Davison ran for his goal. Almost the length of the pitch.

https://twitter.com/dezined/status/1503824002820702213?s=20&t=LFTPqvDzq1H7NZVqqbuFYw

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:31:41 »

He’s behind Williams.

I’m not sure, he looked level or slightly ahead on the replay

* F56EED54-5275-4AEB-A848-CC7ABB6533CB.jpeg (277.54 KB, 2436x1125 - viewed 193 times.)

Things get better but they never get good
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:36:52 »

My view of a still from the basic highlights is that the scorer of Sutton's goal was NOT offside but played fractionally onside (or at the very least level) by a retreating Davison.  Izzi (the leftermost Sutton player) got the better of some pushing and pulling to leave Baudry completely in his wake. 

Wouldn't call the well-placed lino's call a mistake.

The guy next to him was offside and may have been interfering with play but that may have been a harsh call.  I'm no expert on the laws.

https://imgur.com/zCLc6nQ

26 is offside and goes for the ball so definitely interfering with play.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:38:49 »

Closer than it originally looked with Mckirdy attacking at full pace but I'd say that was off.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:41:42 »

Perhaps bad phrasing as you’re right he’s not technically behind Williams but he’s definitely not in front of him either…level
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:44:38 »

That's interesting.
Two of them still look offside to me from that image.
Not sure what the ref is looking at, but shouldn't he be keeping an eye out for possible fouls ahead of the ball coming over.

Edit. Yes, the scorer may well have been onside from watching the highlights.
Not sure it was a foul on Baudry who looked to be wrong side to start with.
I don't think the pushing and pulling before the striking of a free kick is taken into account.  Baudry was correctly playing Izzy offside but for Davison's fractionally premature retreat.

In theory, the two Sutton players positioned offside at the time of the kick, may have interfered with play.  The one closest to Izzy ended up slightly colliding with Izzy and arguably blocked retreating Swindon defenders (eg the lightening quick Conroy) from challenging Izzy.

This requires a more knowledgeable analyst than me to consider but I'm not sure the Sutton goal was quite the level of  howler claimed.

PS  See Tails above pointing out that No 26 in going for the ball IS interfering with play.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:46:40 by RedRag » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:46:39 »

Not exactly sure where to start with that game. Listening to Hawes and the excellent Sam Parkin comms it appeared that Sutton had a team with square pegs in round holes including a 40 year old keeper, a 41 year old fitness coach on the bench and 4 wingers in midfield. Despite my misgivings about a Conroy and Baudry centre back partnership I felt we should have enough to be able to beat a patched up Sutton side. First 30 we played our usual open expansive possession game but in other games where we never really looked like scoring, it seemed we could get a hatful. Ironic really that Davison's goal came from a long ball (albeit aimed by Jojo, not just lumped anywhere) which was pathetically dealt with by Nelson, who shit his pants when he saw Davison and a neat finish by the big striker. After half an hour Sutton seemed to drag us down to their level and the game turned ugly. The officials started to make questionable decisions and the equaliser came when Conroy was wrestled to the ground which earned Sutton a free kick. (How?) Looking at the still, the player that scored looked to be on-side but the other 2 players running in were off and surely had to be 'interfering'?

Second half was ugly and seemed to last about an hour. Again a nice second goal thanks to a long ball to Williams, lovely touch and cross put in by McKirdy. After that the game was bitty and kept being broken up by fouls. The officials, who I always try not to mention never seemed to have a grip on the game at all. One incident saw Odimayo (I think) chopped down but somehow he gave Sutton a free kick but changed his mind when he saw everyone on our bench point out it was a free kick to us. Finally the clock ticked to 90 and McKirdy steamed away from his marker (again) who cynically fouled Harry, however he stayed on his feet, failed to dribble the ball around Nelson, the ball falling to Reed, who tried to dribble the ball around Nelson and then dive over his hand. It looked in real time a stone wall penalty but on the replay, I think the referee got it right. That said, I think he should have pulled it back for the foul on McKirdy and we should have got the penalty.

Other things to note - I thought Jojo seemed to come off his line more for corners than in previous matches. We've conceded some pathetic goals from 3,4,5 yards out but it looks like we've worked on this and Jojo came out and claimed the first corner which was definitely positive to see. Conroy and Baudry I thought did well against tough, aggressive opponents. There were a couple of incidents where both tried to be too clever, but luckily were not punished. Reed again showed he is the metronome in the team and is going to be greatly missed the next couple of games. Hopefully East can step up. Iandolo as someone else mentioned seemed to be wearing Toblerones on his feet, a few shanks from him. He is getting a bit of a nasty side to him as well, a blatant shirt pull to break up a dangerous attack as well as a couple of tireades verbally. Davison, apart from his goal I thought was crap again. When he gets the ball to feet he always looks like he is going to give it away, and never disappoints unfortunately. Last words to Harry, never stops running and their left back was on toast the whole game. Very well deserved goal.

We'd have been hugely disappointed not to have won last night, Sutton were pretty dire, Will Randall aside and so to get the 3 points, on a night where every other promotion rival won is crucial!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:48:30 »

I don't think the pushing and pulling before the striking of a free kick is taken into account.  Baudry was correctly playing Izzy offside but for Davison's fractionally premature retreat.

In theory, the two Sutton players positioned offside at the time of the kick, may have interfered with play.  The one closest to Izzy ended up slightly colliding with Izzy and arguably blocked retreating Swindon defenders (eg the lightening quick Conroy) from challenging Izzy.

This requires a more knowledgeable analyst than me to consider but I'm not sure the Sutton goal was quite the level of  howler claimed.

PS  See Tails above pointing out that No 26 in going for the ball IS interfering with play.

Screen shot it again a second later when their player taking the free kick actually makes contact with the ball
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:53:52 »

Not exactly sure where to start with that game. Listening to Hawes and the excellent Sam Parkin comms it appeared that Sutton had a team with square pegs in round holes including a 40 year old keeper, a 41 year old fitness coach on the bench and 4 wingers in midfield. Despite my misgivings about a Conroy and Baudry centre back partnership I felt we should have enough to be able to beat a patched up Sutton side. First 30 we played our usual open expansive possession game but in other games where we never really looked like scoring, it seemed we could get a hatful. Ironic really that Davison's goal came from a long ball (albeit aimed by Jojo, not just lumped anywhere) which was pathetically dealt with by Nelson, who shit his pants when he saw Davison and a neat finish by the big striker. After half an hour Sutton seemed to drag us down to their level and the game turned ugly. The officials started to make questionable decisions and the equaliser came when Conroy was wrestled to the ground which earned Sutton a free kick. (How?) Looking at the still, the player that scored looked to be on-side but the other 2 players running in were off and surely had to be 'interfering'?

Second half was ugly and seemed to last about an hour. Again a nice second goal thanks to a long ball to Williams, lovely touch and cross put in by McKirdy. After that the game was bitty and kept being broken up by fouls. The officials, who I always try not to mention never seemed to have a grip on the game at all. One incident saw Odimayo (I think) chopped down but somehow he gave Sutton a free kick but changed his mind when he saw everyone on our bench point out it was a free kick to us. Finally the clock ticked to 90 and McKirdy steamed away from his marker (again) who cynically fouled Harry, however he stayed on his feet, failed to dribble the ball around Nelson, the ball falling to Reed, who tried to dribble the ball around Nelson and then dive over his hand. It looked in real time a stone wall penalty but on the replay, I think the referee got it right. That said, I think he should have pulled it back for the foul on McKirdy and we should have got the penalty.

Other things to note - I thought Jojo seemed to come off his line more for corners than in previous matches. We've conceded some pathetic goals from 3,4,5 yards out but it looks like we've worked on this and Jojo came out and claimed the first corner which was definitely positive to see. Conroy and Baudry I thought did well against tough, aggressive opponents. There were a couple of incidents where both tried to be too clever, but luckily were not punished. Reed again showed he is the metronome in the team and is going to be greatly missed the next couple of games. Hopefully East can step up. Iandolo as someone else mentioned seemed to be wearing Toblerones on his feet, a few shanks from him. He is getting a bit of a nasty side to him as well, a blatant shirt pull to break up a dangerous attack as well as a couple of tireades verbally. Davison, apart from his goal I thought was crap again. When he gets the ball to feet he always looks like he is going to give it away, and never disappoints unfortunately. Last words to Harry, never stops running and their left back was on toast the whole game. Very well deserved goal.

We'd have been hugely disappointed not to have won last night, Sutton were pretty dire, Will Randall aside and so to get the 3 points, on a night where every other promotion rival won is crucial!

Was very surprised Davison was giving the sponsors man of the match.
Took his goal extremely well and his work rate was very good.

Don’t think he offered much else but I swear to god Refs seem so reluctant to give the fouls on him and I have no idea why?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 10:03:26 »

I think the rule is he has to be level or behind the ball rather than the player passing doesn't he? It's really tough to tell from that, if anything he looks a smidge ahead but there is no way you can make a definitive call from that angle.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 10:04:36 »

Didn't realise at the time just how far Davison ran for his goal. Almost the length of the pitch.

https://twitter.com/dezined/status/1503824002820702213?s=20&t=LFTPqvDzq1H7NZVqqbuFYw

Pretty brave as well as if the keeper had been a wanker he could have wiped Davison out ala Schumacher (or the Brighton keeper at the weekend).
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 10:08:15 »

.....and absolutely deliberate too, as Davisson signals to JJW to put it there.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 10:14:16 »

Quality co-comms from SSP

I was about to post the same. Sam was excellent last night. To give them credit they were also very knowledgeable about Sutton and the way they were setup etc. I know watching on Ifollow isn't the same as being there, but having these guys commentating does add a positive aspect. Some of the opposition comms barely know our players names at times.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 10:27:04 »

I was about to post the same. Sam was excellent last night. To give them credit they were also very knowledgeable about Sutton and the way they were setup etc. I know watching on Ifollow isn't the same as being there, but having these guys commentating does add a positive aspect. Some of the opposition comms barely know our players names at times.
I switched over to the Sutton comms justbefore their goal and they were very uncomplimentary about us even though we were controlling the game at that point.

Yes I expect some team bias but they were already moaning about us going to ground too easily and that they looked the better side which after 20 mins or so they didn't.

The gloating really started when they scored so I switched back to the ever popular and excellent SSP and Hawes.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 10:28:39 »

To be fair Chalky White didn't know our players last week. I think SSP shows the difference between a 'proper' pundit who does it full time more or less and does his research and watches a lot of games and the 'guy who lives locally ' model of summarisers.

Generally though, every time I listen to oppo commentary I come away realising how lucky we are!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: