Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hiring a car in France  (Read 1121 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 13:11:27 »

Anyone done this lately?

Looking to go over in April. Fly to Orly then hire a car. It’s a long time since I hired one and they are asking for a €3000 hold on my credit card on top of any actual rental charges.

Is this normal or just a shit car rental company?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 14:34:23 »

I rented in the states and they never asked anything similar. Would shop around. Doesn't sound normal to me.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 14:41:43 »

I am not sure about the figure but from recollection its pretty common practice in various European countries to put some sort of holding figure on your card till its returned and checked.

From experience they seem to have a pretty laissez faire attitude to checking in France (last time basically looked out of the door to make sure there was a car there) unlike in Italy where they tried to pin some scratches on us on car that looked like it had been used as a dodgem car before we picked it up!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 15:03:02 »

I'd shop around - I've never had anything like that large a reserve held on my card. Last time I hired from Orly I found that Firefly - a low-cost Hertz brand - was the best value. There's plenty of choice, but I usually end up booking via RentalCars which compares all the companies' offers at any given time.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 15:05:12 »

Anyone done this lately?

Looking to go over in April. Fly to Orly then hire a car. It’s a long time since I hired one and they are asking for a €3000 hold on my credit card on top of any actual rental charges.

Is this normal or just a shit car rental company?

Sounds very dodgy.  Rental companies have a tendency to identify "new damage" on cars as it is, this would send alarm bells ringing for me.  Usually it's no more than a couple of hundred at most they hold.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 15:10:45 »

I'd shop around - I've never had anything like that large a reserve held on my card. Last time I hired from Orly I found that Firefly - a low-cost Hertz brand - was the best value. There's plenty of choice, but I usually end up booking via RentalCars which compares all the companies' offers at any given time.
I’ll try Firefly. Other option is getting a train to Caen and hiring from there - maybe a bit more reasonable.

I’ve still got my UK credit card which I rarely use but the limit is less than €3000 I’m sure!
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 15:34:34 »

That's the norm in Spain

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 15:40:07 »

Seems no getting away from it. Looked at Budget at Orly - the same €2000_3000 depending on the car.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 17:13:23 »

They take it out pretty much for 24 hours then stick it back in, normally on a credit card
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 17:44:33 »

That's the norm in Spain

Not so (and I know you live there). It was the usual c£250/€300 holding/security/damages fee/waiver when we hired a couple of years ago.

Included pick up in Bilbao and drop off in Malaga. Unless it's a relatively new thing/new rise? It was never that much and it's still bullshit behaviour if it's just for a card check (rather than a holding fee).

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 17:47:19 »

300 in Tenerife too, not that it's relevant really.

I wouldn't trust the bastards with that much, though it seems these's little choice
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 20:24:02 »

Seems no getting away from it. Looked at Budget at Orly - the same €2000_3000 depending on the car.

See if they're a bit hungrier for your business in Caen?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: