Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tranmere v Swindon pre match chat and match day thread  (Read 21776 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Friday, February 11, 2022, 21:21:06 »

I've just seen the highlights. What a shit show that was. The first goal actually made me laugh, how a professional footballer could get caught on the ball like that is criminal.
Pretty football? If that's pretty then my pricks a bloater.
I'm now fully ensconced in Luke Warm territory. All my relief and goodwill after Pee Lower was  driven out has now evaporated. Clem and Garner finally extinguished the light that was my love for the club.
I'll still go to the odd away day, you can't beat an odd away day even with crap football and I'll still use the remainder of my season ticket because I do enjoy a laugh but no more than that,
Fourth division footballers playing pretty football, give me a break
I've only missed a handful of games all season, home and away, and totally sympathise.   Very early on many of us were concerned when we saw the first Luke Williams style goal kick. A goal kick that only Swindon have ever done with any regularity.  In div 4 it's clueless, for the sake of it, football.

However we signed some good players, looked pretty good most of the time and confidence was high.
The thing is, perfect and very risky, (almost suicidal level at times) only works with confidence, once that goes the balance of risk quickly becomes apparent (apart from to the manager obviously), results take a nosedive and it's very hard to turnaround.

This year was an opportunity to grab the fans, like yourself, who really, really want to go to the games, but only on the basis that it isn't dull as fuck and pointless.   Unfortunately, at home especially, it's been relegation form and a missed opportunity.

Yes I'm pleased to be watching football and grateful to everyone who played a part in saving our club, but on the field I'm disappointed, beyond belief, with the bulk of the performances over the last couple of months.  It's criminal that such goodwill has been squandered with such obvious weaknesses not being addressed. 

A manager's primary focus must be on points, noone complains about having boring 2-0 wins every week.   Losing valiantly every week because of a shit ref or drawing against 9 men, or even getting merrily shat on just doesn't float anyone's boat.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Friday, February 11, 2022, 21:33:52 »

Anybody who went recognise themselves

Yes our flag far right at front and my lad and myself back row right behind goal in the bastard dark.
The flag Next showing Carlisle.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Friday, February 11, 2022, 21:56:23 »

I've only missed a handful of games all season, home and away, and totally sympathise.   Very early on many of us were concerned when we saw the first Luke Williams style goal kick. A goal kick that only Swindon have ever done with any regularity.  In div 4 it's clueless, for the sake of it, football.

However we signed some good players, looked pretty good most of the time and confidence was high.
The thing is, perfect and very risky, (almost suicidal level at times) only works with confidence, once that goes the balance of risk quickly becomes apparent (apart from to the manager obviously), results take a nosedive and it's very hard to turnaround.

This year was an opportunity to grab the fans, like yourself, who really, really want to go to the games, but only on the basis that it isn't dull as fuck and pointless.   Unfortunately, at home especially, it's been relegation form and a missed opportunity.

Yes I'm pleased to be watching football and grateful to everyone who played a part in saving our club, but on the field I'm disappointed, beyond belief, with the bulk of the performances over the last couple of months.  It's criminal that such goodwill has been squandered with such obvious weaknesses not being addressed. 

A manager's primary focus must be on points, noone complains about having boring 2-0 wins every week.   Losing valiantly every week because of a shit ref or drawing against 9 men, or even getting merrily shat on just doesn't float anyone's boat.

Done the lot this season and intend to get my lad through his first full season home and away.
Sadly I think in all honesty the “situation” we find ourselves in has caught up with us.

Start of the season, well a few weeks before we all would have settled for where we are right now, sadly it’s always the hope that kills us all, every club.
If anything we have lost that bonus momentum that we initially grabbed by the bollocks. Our crowds, more so our support away from home impressive.
Being a Pompey lad at heart, always critical of our apathetic fans making excuse why not to go rather than support it, I understand as this season they have showed up in decent numbers.
This season to me was all about survival, a free hit. Now that is becoming a successful reality.

If the Board don’t show commitment next season then the crowd will turn. In all honesty I think they will. All kinds of Debts were coming in and confident apart from the pending EFL hearing would like to think we are now as stable as we have been for many years.

Love this bastard club, runs through my veins and will keep going.
Understand why some feel frustrated but it’s not just 90 minutes on a Saturday for me, much deeper.

Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Friday, February 11, 2022, 22:59:25 »

Done the lot this season and intend to get my lad through his first full season home and away.
Sadly I think in all honesty the “situation” we find ourselves in has caught up with us.

Start of the season, well a few weeks before we all would have settled for where we are right now, sadly it’s always the hope that kills us all, every club.
If anything we have lost that bonus momentum that we initially grabbed by the bollocks. Our crowds, more so our support away from home impressive.
Being a Pompey lad at heart, always critical of our apathetic fans making excuse why not to go rather than support it, I understand as this season they have showed up in decent numbers.
This season to me was all about survival, a free hit. Now that is becoming a successful reality.

If the Board don’t show commitment next season then the crowd will turn. In all honesty I think they will. All kinds of Debts were coming in and confident apart from the pending EFL hearing would like to think we are now as stable as we have been for many years.

Love this bastard club, runs through my veins and will keep going.
Understand why some feel frustrated but it’s not just 90 minutes on a Saturday for me, much deeper.

I'll be there next year too, was even there when Douglas scored.  Football is at its best bringing people together, a few beers before and after the game with mates is priceless.  A weekend away with the family somewhere where you would normally not choose to go, it's amazing.

We all accept it's been a tough season to manage Swindon.  I just want individuals to acknowledge their errors and learn from the mistakes.   Saying the way we play isn't risky beggars belief.  The discipline too has been shocking.

We need a bit of pragmatism and to try to earn the right to play.  So that the crowd can get behind the team and the defence can feel a bit less pressurised to be perfect.   Cut out the 40 yard backwards long throws, and the 5 yard goal kicks - what are they ever going to achieve?
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 08:21:12 »

Spot on Mate.
Not saying Garner moving forward right now is the right answer, that one of opinion and choice.
Straight choice between him and Wellens? Wellens would get my vote.
Garner to me is a coach and not a Manager.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #365 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 08:30:50 »

I find both Garner and Wellens very very similar
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 08:56:39 »

Wellens will have definitely picked up a few things in a 17 year nearly 700 game club career than Garner will have not.

I’m not even going to try and count how many different managers Wellens would have played under in that time.

If anything the two would probably mesh together really well as a joint management team. Although probably both two pig headed and stubborn to co-exist…
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 09:01:23 »

I find both Garner and Wellens very very similar

Interesting. In what sense, if you don’t mind me asking?

I found wellens football to be a lot more aggressive and quicker (even at the end of the 18-19 season). Also wasn’t afraid to mix it up and use Woolery as a long ball outlet. Think garner is gonna keep trying O’Brien for this though.

Also found and saw wellens to be abit more of a presence, garner, for me, has no presence. I’m not sure the players fear him enough.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 10:52:33 »

I found wellens football to be a lot more aggressive and quicker (even at the end of the 18-19 season). Also wasn’t afraid to mix it up and use Woolery as a long ball outlet. Think garner is gonna keep trying O’Brien for this though.

Also found and saw wellens to be abit more of a presence, garner, for me, has no presence. I’m not sure the players fear him enough.

Agree hence my reference to a coach and not a Manager.
Just can’t imagine Garner losing it in the dressing room.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 11:00:51 »

Don't need to be feared, respected yes.  Shouting and throwing toys just doesn't work anymore, but making decisions that are respected does.   How can the players possibly believe in the slow tippy tappy crap around there own box when it more often than not puts them under pressure.   It doesn't matter how loud or often you shout at someone that the earth is flat, it doesn't mean that they will believe you.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 11:25:17 »

Don't need to be feared, respected yes.  Shouting and throwing toys just doesn't work anymore, but making decisions that are respected does.   How can the players possibly believe in the slow tippy tappy crap around there own box when it more often than not puts them under pressure.   It doesn't matter how loud or often you shout at someone that the earth is flat, it doesn't mean that they will believe you.

Not after someone to throw toys outta pram and scream and shout, just want more of a presence and a leader.

Need someone who’s ballsy and brave enough to see that, as you say, not changing from tippy tappa ticci tacca every single week isn’t us being brave, stubborn and sticking to what we believe in- it’s just daft.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #371 on: Saturday, February 12, 2022, 13:24:46 »

I meant more in how their STFC careers have gone. When they had the players the style of football they both want to play really worked well but when the better players were not there they are both unable to get the best out of the average players and reluctant to change their philosophies it seems
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: