Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sam's 21 Challenges  (Read 2137 times)
dphunt88

Ignore
« on: Monday, December 6, 2021, 15:22:31 »

Posting this on behalf of former poster "Panda Paws":

Hi everyone - I tried to rejoin to make this post myself but wasn't able to rejoin, unfortunately. Probably for the best, I'm sure you'll all agree. Especially Bamboo (Is he still around?).

In the real, offline world a few of you know me and my old man, and many more will hopefully recognise my little brother Sam. Sam's been watching the town since he was 6, just like every other bloke in our family. For many years, he'd be found in the front row of T1, but we've now retired to the glamour of the DRS.

Sam's got Downs' Syndrome, by the way. And it really is "by the way".

Football is his happy place. His place of independence.

The last 18 months have been hard on Sam. He doesn't understand things like the rest of us do. He doesn't understand why he can't go to the gym, or watch the Town, or go to his placements.

To give him focus, and to help out some of the causes close to his heart, Sam has spent the last 12 months undertaking 21 challenges, from the extreme to the ridiculous - surfing, abseiling, powerboating... you name it, he's done it. Just last month he visited the 20PL plus Wembley (21 venues...) in 48 hours.

Why 21? World Down's Syndrome Day is the 21st of March, because DS is caused by a fault in the 21st chromosome. And now you know!

The 21st challenge, we're hoping Sam will spend 21 minutes training with the players in the run-up to the FGR game at home, which we're hoping to do some more fundraising around, thanks to Rob and Danny.

This is a lot of words, and of course the main purpose is asking for donations. Sam's community is this club. And I'm hoping we can help get sam to his target of £2100 by Christmas, giving us a chance to double it by March.

Take care everyone, especially at the moment, and don't worry - I still lurk, I just can't bite anymore!

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/samchallenge21

PS. See you in the Leyton Technical tomorrow night!

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 6, 2021, 16:32:56 »

Fantastic cause and i wish you the best of luck
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 6, 2021, 17:21:47 »

What worries me is that the TEF's gone back to refusing entry to the clamouring hordes of flare-lobbing yoof, which is making the debates a bit tilted towards the old git faction.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Badger

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 6, 2021, 18:39:26 »

Great cause - and great idea for how to support it !
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 6, 2021, 19:29:34 »

Anyone got an email to contact PP on directly?

Please DM me. It's always amazing how much we all don't know about one another. I'd like to have a chat with him, granted as long as he would like to too.

Really great initiative and cause.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Barry Scott

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 04:31:18 »

I’ve donated, great cause. Sorry he was unable to signup and push this himself.

What worries me is that the TEF's gone back to refusing entry to the clamouring hordes of flare-lobbing yoof, which is making the debates a bit tilted towards the old git faction.

We don’t refuse entry to anyone. The issue is many legit accounts get caught up in the spam signups and get deleted. This and about 90% of signups don’t confirm their email (our emails go directly to spam) so the account gets deleted and doesn’t become active.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 09:15:15 »

Notice he's back with his tail between his legs when he wants something from us - bitch!  Wink

Great cause and will look to donate!!  Cheesy
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 10:40:45 »

I’ve donated, great cause. Sorry he was unable to signup and push this himself.

We don’t refuse entry to anyone. The issue is many legit accounts get caught up in the spam signups and get deleted. This and about 90% of signups don’t confirm their email (our emails go directly to spam) so the account gets deleted and doesn’t become active.

Why did he ever drop out of such an exclusive club? Don’t understand why established Teffers feel the need to delete their accounts. OK, we all spend too much time on here, but is cold turkey the only way to cut loose? And it feels a bit disloyal to all those of us who’ve read their crap for years for them to suddenly decide they’re better off without us in their lives!

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 11:00:32 »

Why did he ever drop out of such an exclusive club? Don’t understand why established Teffers feel the need to delete their accounts. OK, we all spend too much time on here, but is cold turkey the only way to cut loose? And it feels a bit disloyal to all those of us who’ve read their crap for years for them to suddenly decide they’re better off without us in their lives!

…and even so, just log out and then your account is always there should you want to return…
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 12:53:15 »

Just donated, wish Sam the best of luck with his challenge
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 13:16:06 »

Done.

Best of luck, Sam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print