Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 2069 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 10:27:56 »

Although I’ve been over here nearly 3 years I still can’t get out of the habit of tipping like a tourist.

Couple of coffees - chuck in an extra €1? Get a meal - make that €5-10. Mrs Audrey at the hairdressers - she says a fiver, but . . .

I never tipped in the UK. Well, not often.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 10:31:06 »

Although I’ve been over here nearly 3 years I still can’t get out of the habit of tipping like a tourist.

Couple of coffees - chuck in an extra €1? Get a meal - make that €5-10. Mrs Audrey at the hairdressers - she says a fiver, but . . .

I never tipped in the UK. Well, not often.

I've posted about this before, its got a bit weird over here now everyone pays with cards rather than cash and I don't like tipping via a card payment as sadly I don't trust the money will make it down to the staff.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 10:33:09 »

I've posted about this before, its got a bit weird over here now everyone pays with cards rather than cash and I don't like tipping via a card payment as sadly I don't trust the money will make it down to the staff.

Agreed, it makes tipping much more difficult. If there is a tip button on the card machine I usually ask the server if the tip goes to them.

It is at least being looked at

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/all-tips-to-go-to-staff-under-government-plans-to-enhance-rights-of-2-million-workers
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 10:40:00 »

Agreed, it makes tipping much more difficult. If there is a tip button on the card machine I usually ask the server if the tip goes to them.

It is at least being looked at

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/all-tips-to-go-to-staff-under-government-plans-to-enhance-rights-of-2-million-workers

Same here. As a rule, In a restaurant unless the service has been absolutely shambolic I'll generally leave a tip circa 10% of the bill. Obviously with card payments this makes things tougher and I always forget to get bloody cash before we go out.

For a haircut the place I go is cash only and is £13, so just round up to £15. I personally think it's important to show appreciation for people in the service industry.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:03:40 »

The only time I'd consider it really rude not to tip in the UK is if you're in a big party and taking up a lot of attention of the staff.

Thank god we're not like the US where minimum wage is about half what you'd need to live off.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:04:46 »

You mean like stuffing a fiver in the pole dancer’s knickers?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:20:56 »

All my tips are cash.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:29:09 »

I only tip when out for a meal, usually 10% or a round up.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:29:57 »

All my tips are cash.

Rarely have cash on me these days to be honest.

Mondex came 20 years too early, but they were right!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:36:43 »

Same hear, since Covid struck I am like the Queen!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:37:55 »

Mondex came 20 years too early, but they were right!
Same, I cant remember having any form of note in my wallet for over 2 years now.

You are right about Mondex, at the time it was seen as something a bit weird, a bit futuristic even but they were indeed 100% correct just well before the rest of the country was ready for it.

Same hear, since Covid struck I am like the Queen!
My wife uses the phrase "I am like the queen I dont ever carry money" all the time!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 11:59:53 »

I hate the 12.5% service charge added in london. Sat at a bar in a hotel, and still added. For what?!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 12:09:30 »

I hate the 12.5% service charge added in london. Sat at a bar in a hotel, and still added. For what?!

That is not enforceable by law, we’ll, it used to be. A discretionary payment which you could decline.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 12:32:53 »

I tip very generously here - the tips are included in the employees wage calculations, so companies are within their rights to pay well below minimum wages, which are already low, because the tips are included.  On the plus side, my experience is that staff are generally much better at service as a result.

I would tip 10-15% in the UK depending on service, usually tip a taxi driver and barber.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 2, 2021, 12:34:15 »

That is not enforceable by law, we’ll, it used to be. A discretionary payment which you could decline.

I know you can decline it, but wonder how many brits do that. It's against our nature to do that.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: