Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Frank Burrows RIP  (Read 3212 times)
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 18:21:20 »

Bloody fantastic player and one of those players you never forget can remember him signing from Scunthorpe. He was immense in that final and made that twat Bobby Gould eat his words
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 18:52:33 »

Frank Burrows was a leader of men Although not Danny Williams captain at the time and it just shows the qualities that Danny Williams brought to the club.
If i'm correct Frank replaced Mel Nurse or possibly Keith Morgan and what a fantastic replacement he was.
RIP Frank Burrows.

RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 20:36:53 »

I remember every single one of that 1968/9 squad. They all deserve their place as legends, and none more than Frank Burrows. And his subsequent career in coaching and management made him exceptional. A great loss.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 21:34:48 »

Frank was a great player who played against the likes of Channon and Toshack and dominated them.  He seemed to be able to yell at referees while seldom being booked. Around Scunthorpe, he was known for his kick-arounds with locals in the street and had the reputation of being footy mad.  Thanks for the memories Frank.
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 23:02:27 »

One of my favourite STFC players. Always totally committed and a really good centre half in that era - different game from today’s as has already been said.
RIP Frank
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 25, 2021, 10:42:52 »

Bloody fantastic player and one of those players you never forget can remember him signing from Scunthorpe. He was immense in that final and made that twat Bobby Gould eat his words

This in a nutshell.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Lardy Cake

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 25, 2021, 11:48:14 »

Describing someone as a legend is used far too often these days. Frank will always be a true legend in my book as well as being my boyhood hero. I can still remember Frank going in hard in the pen area in front of the Town End and ending up with a punctured lung. Glad to say he recovered fairly quickly. RIP Frank. 

"Still to find and still to follow. Joy in every hill and hollow. Company in solitude".
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 25, 2021, 11:58:19 »

I hear a (very apt) minutes applause is planned by Town fans for the 5th minute of the game on Saturday against the Sulphurites in memory of Frank and his favoured Swindon shirt number, the one he wore at Wembley in 69.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 25, 2021, 11:58:47 »

I hear a (very apt) minutes applause is planned by Town fans for the 5th minute of the game on Saturday against the Sulphurites in memory of Frank and his favoured Swindon shirt number, the one he wore at Wembley in 69.

Love that.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, November 25, 2021, 13:52:40 »

Can't remember the quote exactly but in the Don Rogers bio, Frank was quoted as saying that the Don didn't bother with tracking back but he never minded due to the amount of win bonuses the Don used to earn for him.

As has been observed a granite-hard defender but also greatly loved throughout the game and more than played his part in some of my happiest Town memories.

RIP Frank
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, November 25, 2021, 14:39:26 »

Never got to see him play, but as a keen student of Town history along with many others on here, it's easy to recognise a club legend & to mourn their passing. RIP.

I remember him from his managerial days, the somewhat gruff figure with the flat cap & strong Scottish accent.

The more latter day equivalents would be Jon Gittens or Shaun Taylor but not as tough I suspect, which is a tribute in itself.

The minutes applause on Saturday will be heartfelt by many that's for sure.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: