Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Harrogate pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34582 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Monday, November 29, 2021, 13:31:43 »

2 wins out of 9 at home suggests it definitely isn’t working. Could have been 4 down at half time v Harrogate.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Monday, November 29, 2021, 14:20:12 »

We won 4 out of our 9 first home games last season. Let me repeat, LAST SEASON Suicide
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Monday, November 29, 2021, 14:30:47 »

If you watched the Chelsea v Man Utd game yesterday you’ll note that  MU played the same tactic as Harrogate by man marking and closing down the defensive outlets on Chelsea and ending up with the same 1-1 result…

Some people need a serious re-calibration of expectations at this stage of the season if they are booing players off at half-time after where we were in June this year
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Monday, November 29, 2021, 14:40:30 »

If this is your main gripe, get comfy banging that drum for the foreseeable. My inference would be that Garner sees it as we're perfecting something, rather than trying to do something we can't.

And fair play to him for having a vision, a big picture, a philosophy and sticking to it. I respect that he's got the courage of his convictions.

Hopefully it's short term pain for long term gain.

This is why I have a thought that he will eventually not make a good Manager but instead find his way into Senior Academy work, or Technical Director type roles in a big club.

He has a lucky mix right now of a club that is generally a good one to be at in League 2/Div 4 based on history, was in a sad state and willing to invest in youth/younger players and a longer term burn (for now).

His tendency is clearly towards coaching/development of players around a style/approach he has become wedded to through his Academy and youth work to date.  It is showing already - we have a very clear structure and method of play which is designed to work with players who are focused on technique, possession of the ball etc.  You don't really want too many journeymen in that type of team, and it fits quite well with picking-up Academy prospects from above us that don't quite hit the grade, or loans that are not quite ready.

I'm not suggesting that won't work for where we are right now, BUT, it does rely on 100% commitment from everyone in the club to keep picking up that talent.  Crewe have shown they can bob along between L1 and L2 doing something similar, Garner may be able to push it a bit higher with us.  Long term though, I think he would happily sacrifice a few wins to develop the talent, and our history suggests we are far from stable and having a fanbase accepting of such cycles of development, as are few clubs.

His record at Bristol Rovers should not be ignored - he saw that as a project and not a failure.  Imagine us getting the results he had at Rovers playing this way and with an ownership team a little more at ease with the clubs financial situation.

Long term he will come a cropper and find few clubs willing to invest in five year + projects at anything above their Academy systems.

For now, the clubs ability to pick up players at a decent enough level in League Two means the fit is working well enough, and with the right adjustments in January we are a good bet for being in the hunt this season, so it is a problem for a future date.  In the meantime, I don't see any evidence that things at home will change that much, equally, no reason we can't continue to do well away.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 29, 2021, 14:44:03 by RobertT » Logged
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Monday, November 29, 2021, 18:03:52 »

A bit late to this thread - I think it’s easy to estimate the impact the conditions had on Saturday - it seemed to us that the wind made it difficult playing out from the Town End in both halves.
Their goal was a poor one to concede - Rob Hunt misjudged  a punt from the keeper, which gave them something to hang onto. With a little luck and a competent referee we would have won that game on Saturday.

I don’t think home form has been as bad as results - with better finishing we’d also have beaten Colchester, Tranmere and Rochdale rather than drawing. Replace two of those 4 home draws with wins and we’d all be viewing things differently. I suspect that those who have been to most games away from home (I’ve only seen one away game) would probably say we have been fortunate to have quite as many points on the road - perhaps these will revert to a more normal balance in the weeks ahead.
I keep thinking back to the end of July - we had no tight to expect we’d be where we are now - Garner, Chorley and the rest of the team are doing a good job. We need to get behind them rather than constantly carping.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 07:57:58 »

Saturday at the CG was the biggest crowd Harrogate have ever played in front of!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 08:02:58 »

Saturday at the CG was the biggest crowd Harrogate have ever played in front of!

They’ll also have their biggest home gate against us..
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 09:09:44 »

A record which will remain until they visit Valley Parade.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 09:36:24 »

A record which will remain until they visit Valley Parade.

They may break 3 figures away attendance too.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #429 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 09:45:13 »

They’ll also have their biggest home gate against us..
Again until they play Bradford at home!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 10:25:18 »

According to their fan forum they are likely to fold some time in the not too distant future. Their rise has been built on huge debts. A familiar story.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #431 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 10:41:32 »

According to their fan forum they are likely to fold some time in the not too distant future. Their rise has been built on huge debts. A familiar story.
I read somewhere that they were only in financial problems when Covid hit but since they have allowed crowds back and gained promotion to the league that everything was all fine again now.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 16:31:14 »

Someone on their forum is adamant there’s a £million overspend. I can’t imagine where they could get money from on their measly crowds.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 16:32:02 »

Those Tea Rooms?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 16:33:39 »

Those Tea Rooms?

Don't think Betty has any involvement in the club.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: