Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can't call a particular phone number  (Read 2209 times)
mystical_goat

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 16:53:37 »

I changed mobile provider about a year ago and from the day of the switch have been unable to call my Nan's landline. It rings once and then beeps like it's disconnected. When her phone is receiving the call it shows 'line busy' very briefly but doesn't ring. I've changed mobile provider again to try and solve this after the previous one couldn't solve it, but the same thing is happening. I've also changed her landline provider recently after finding a better deal, but that hasn't changed it either. I can call all other numbers fine. It seems there's some sort of block on my number, everyone else can call the number and she can call me. Do I need to contact her provider or is there some sort of infastructure company?

And in the meantime does anyone know a way I can get a message to her, some kind of text to voice service?
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:09:50 by mystical_goat » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:11:09 »

I changed mobile provider about a year ago and from the day of the switch have been unable to call my Nan's landline. It rings once and then beeps like it's disconnected. When her phone is receiving the call it shows 'line busy' very briefly but doesn't ring. I've changed mobile provider again to try and solve this after the previous one couldn't solve it, but the same thing is happening. I've also changed her landline provider recently after finding a better deal, but that hasn't changed it either. I can call all other numbers fine. It seems there's some sort of block on my number, everyone else can call the number and she can call me. Do I need to contact her provider or is there some sort of infastructure company?

And in the meantime does anyone know a way I can get a message to her, some kind of text to voice service?

Can you not send a text to her landline number, I didn't know you could do this but we have certain clients who seem to keep doing it to our office number, drives me mad!
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:12:05 »

If I text her landline it will read it out?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:18:34 »

that's an odd one

I would say it's a feature that's been activated on your nans number, but since she's changed provider it seems unlikely.

couple of things

- I assume other people can call her ok?
  - I assume she lives in the UK?
  - what phone you got? Apple or Android?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:22:22 »

If I text her landline it will read it out?

I honestly don't know, when we get them its an automated voice wittering on.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:45:11 »

She is phoning the phone company and blocking your number because she doesn't really like you - I presume because you support Oxford.

I presume you have tried other mobiles to call her, moved your sim into another mobile phone and called her etc.  To ensure you narrow it down to a specific phone number issue or hardware issue?  I am sure you'll get sent around those houses by whichever company you speak to first.  I'd begin with her Service Provider but they may put you onto whoever owns the network infrastructure (that bit BT had to give up a few years back).
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 18, 2021, 17:46:11 »

Oh, and can she call you?  If yes, you probably rule out most technical issues, which brings it back to your number I imagine.  
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 11:31:44 »

another question, do you withhold your phone number?

if so, try revealing it in case she has a 'reject anonymous calls' option set on her line

oddly just had this with beefeater in cirencester
-----------+
also, she doesn't screen her calls does she and have a whitelist?
anglia red

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 20, 2021, 12:07:50 »

Had the same problem were my daughter could not call mt wifes mobile ,service provider could not sort ii out. turned out my wife phone had blocked my daughters nomber ,not sure how this happened as my wife is not very tech savy. Has your nan got a call locker on her landlind phone ?.

ome on you reds
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 22, 2021, 11:04:57 »

goat? where art thou?
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 12:53:10 »

She is phoning the phone company and blocking your number because she doesn't really like you - I presume because you support Oxford.

Fuck off prick. Not even slightly funny.

another question, do you withhold your phone number?

if so, try revealing it in case she has a 'reject anonymous calls' option set on her line

oddly just had this with beefeater in cirencester
-----------+
also, she doesn't screen her calls does she and have a whitelist?

I don't withold my number and she's not got any numbers blocked.

Had the same problem were my daughter could not call mt wifes mobile ,service provider could not sort ii out. turned out my wife phone had blocked my daughters nomber ,not sure how this happened as my wife is not very tech savy. Has your nan got a call locker on her landlind phone ?.

No, nothing like that.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 13:04:57 »

Rob T got your goat.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 13:30:07 »

Crikey.

Two things to narrow it down.  Try blocking your caller ID before dialing, which may help with this being a specific number issue, assuming she does not block callers doing this in general.

Next try your SIM in another unlocked phone.

Next check you have not accidently blocked your Nans number in your phones settings.  If you only moved networks bit kept the same phone this could be the issue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 13:32:33 »

Good suggestions Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: