Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Camper Van  (Read 3180 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 16:04:26 »

Sorely tempted to get one. Anyone have experience? Things to look out for etc? Probably looking at something around 10 years old, the Vivaro, Boxer type conversion. Would be great for away fixtures  Cheesy

Ta.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 16:22:20 »

Never taken the plunge but know many who have.

Biggest advice I have ever heard is hire one and go away for a weekend before spending cash, its not something that suits everyone and with the price of the sodding things these days its a heck on an investment blind.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 16:26:12 »

We’ve ummed and ahh’d about getting one when we go back to the UK. Have a look here.

https://www.quirkycampers.com/uk/
Crackity Jones

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 16:34:36 »

I would agree with the idea to hire one first. That will help you think about what you really need eg. Fridge/sink/cooker.  Do you want a toilet in it. How many does it need to sleep. Do you want to be able to stand up in it etc. Also how practical does it need to be day to day.  I have a long wheelbase VW T5 which is great as an all rounder for my family and its fine as a daily driver with the exception of height restrictions in some car parks and some parking spaces are too small.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 16:46:55 »

I’ve got a Bongo with a pop up roof on a 53 plate.  It’s amazing. In the summer I’ll see a couple of hundred VW t4/5/6s on the road for every one Bong…..And that’s got a lot to do with why I love it.
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 16:59:46 »

We have a 07 plate VW T5, with a reasonable big awning sleeps me and the missus , 2 teenagers ( in awning) and greyhound in the van :-) as much a I love it, VW have a "scene Tax' in that you pay more due to them being sought after as there is a big Scene, I think you get more back for your buck with Transits, boxers etc.

Crackity Jones

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 18:22:22 »

Agree on the VW scene tax there seems to be now.  A friend of mine has a Boxer.  The good thing with it is because of the extra width, you can have a 6ft bed acrossways so you don't have the faff of folding it away every day like I have to  in my T5.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 11, 2021, 18:26:24 »

Never taken the plunge but know many who have.

Biggest advice I have ever heard is hire one and go away for a weekend before spending cash, its not something that suits everyone and with the price of the sodding things these days its a heck on an investment blind.

Best advice I have is from someone who is in the supply chain for the the stuff to kit them out with. Wait a couple of years to let everyone fuck off back to the Med, then see what the over inflated prices look like.
guy66

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 12, 2021, 09:40:19 »

Definitely hire one first. Camptoo has a good selection across the UK. We are planning on getting one but were total novices. By hiring one you get chance to see A. if you actually enjoy it and B. what you want out of the van.

The one we hired was a new Mercedes Marco Polo which is around £70k new, a dream to drive and kitted out to a really high spec. We used it in Scotland as they have legal wild camping which basically means you can park up anywhere and stay. We tested it by staying in a mixture of camp sites, fields, beaches and through the Britstops Guide a few pub car parks.

It gave us a really valuable insight and having looked at a few when we were away (everyone in the scene is generous with advice) we were most impressed by the VW California, really well designed for max use of space. We learned things like get a fixed awning for more space rater than a drive away one, make sure you have a pop-up roof for both added head room but also the extra sleeping area and get a suitable bike rack so you can open the back door with the bikes in place rather than having to fanny around taking the bikes off like I did!!

Having lived in it for nine nights we learned not to buy a high end, immaculate one as basically it gets trashed living in a small space but hoping to get one in 2022.

Enjoy!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 12, 2021, 10:48:04 »

Bit left field but there are a surprising number of Japanese imported minivan/camper van style vehicles that are not as 'desirable' as your standard VW camper but are often incredibly well cared for.

Worth looking through owner's groups to find them too as they're much more liekly to be in good condition. Mazda Bongos as Jan has said, or Delicias, Elgrands, Delphards, the list goes on.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 12, 2021, 10:51:19 »

Quite like the idea of the rock n roll seats so that it can be more than just a 2 or 3 seater on a daily basis. Will probably replace the wife's car  Smiley I've only got a 2 seater so we need the seating capacity. No, I'm keeping mine  Smiley
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 12, 2021, 11:54:19 »

We bought a LWB Vivaro to use as a day van rather than a camper. It's the minibus model with two removable bench seats, but we've taken the third row of seats out.

What with lockdowns and then child no.3 arriving we've not had a chance to actually use it for camping yet but it's really useful to load it up with kids, dogs, bikes and other kit when going on holiday.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 12, 2021, 13:33:10 »

Quite like the idea of the rock n roll seats so that it can be more than just a 2 or 3 seater on a daily basis. Will probably replace the wife's car  Smiley I've only got a 2 seater so we need the seating capacity. No, I'm keeping mine  Smiley
A tandem ?. 😁😁

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 12, 2021, 13:43:02 »

Bicycle
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 24, 2021, 14:49:39 »

Got my eye on a stunning T5.1   Yes