Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26877 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 13:26:10 »

We weren't held up at all fortunately but I think that's where they are doing the 'smart' motorway upgrades. As you say the work seems to have been going for ages, has it been that long?

Not sure if it's 10 years but certainly feels about that long! Every time I travel North I get stuck there
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 13:34:15 »

Back to football for a bit and I hope that we have done some work on our defensive set pieces as I assume a Keith Curle team will be all over set pieces like a soggy tracksuit. The very high line we adopt when defending a set piece into the box has become dangerous now as teams have started to get clever and work the ball wide which then frees the players who were initially offside into a non-offside position for the winger/wing-back to cut the ball back to the on rushing players. We have nearly got caught out 2 or 3 times now (didn't see the Bradford game so can't comment on that one) so hopefully we have worked on this sufficiently.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 13:43:35 »

Went there for a 0-0 years ago. Tuesday night. ‘Twas cold.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 13:59:20 »

Went there for a 0-0 years ago. Tuesday night. ‘Twas cold.

Oh forgot to say Audrey, don't let your mate Eric pull the wool over your eyes about Oxford having a big crowd tomorrow - they are selling tickets for £10 so bound to get an inflated audience.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 15:17:47 »

Back to football for a bit and I hope that we have done some work on our defensive set pieces as I assume a Keith Curle team will be all over set pieces like a soggy tracksuit. The very high line we adopt when defending a set piece into the box has become dangerous now as teams have started to get clever and work the ball wide which then frees the players who were initially offside into a non-offside position for the winger/wing-back to cut the ball back to the on rushing players. We have nearly got caught out 2 or 3 times now (didn't see the Bradford game so can't comment on that one) so hopefully we have worked on this sufficiently.

I agree, I am not sure the defense is overly strong in the air so set the line back just a bit, so if it is sent over the line, the GK can come sweep it up.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 15:25:47 »

I agree, I am not sure the defense is overly strong in the air so set the line back just a bit, so if it is sent over the line, the GK can come sweep it up.

In all honesty we are not good defending goals into the box at all, Bradford didn't have to do a lot for their first 2 goals by the looks of things. It's been a real achilles heel all season for us.

Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 15:53:58 »

In all honesty we are not good defending goals into the box at all, Bradford didn't have to do a lot for their first 2 goals by the looks of things. It's been a real achilles heel all season for us.

they didnt but that was also poor preparation in my opinion by the coaches...if you watched highlights of that team all they had was set pieces in the box....tall guys that are good in the air basically....
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 16:00:04 »

Oh forgot to say Audrey, don't let your mate Eric pull the wool over your eyes about Oxford having a big crowd tomorrow - they are selling tickets for £10 so bound to get an inflated audience.
Eric tends to shy away from the question about their attendances minus away fans.

It’s 6,500 by the way!
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 16:04:11 »

Granted all I can see is highlight videos on youtube but Oldham seems to be another team that plays a direct ball, generally to the wings then a quick swing pass into the box...doesn't seem like a good situation for our back line.  I also noticed they seem to be willing to shoot the ball at anytime anywhere near the 18 box. 

If a team is not good at clearing the ball in the box then they must close on the ball anytime it is sent to the wing or when it is just outside the 18 and contest the shot/cross and force that team that plays direct to pass it back and most likely lose it.

I am not sure if we have the speed to close on those passes or not..you all would know that better than I.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, October 29, 2021, 21:46:58 »

Early start tomorrow morning.  Driving down with my two lads for their first game since Feb last year - and first game since we moved north 6 months ago.  Excited doesn't cover it.

Cue a dull 1-1...but I don't think they'll care.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, October 30, 2021, 07:00:38 »

Awful conditions today and not looking forward to the drive.
Safe travels everyone.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, October 30, 2021, 07:13:56 »

Having to give the delights of Ice Station Zebra a miss today.
Do remember the December Tuesday night visit in Prem season.
That was cold & miserable, might have been wet as well.
Andy Mutch was our scorer or Mutchyacunt as he was known as in parts of the Stratton Bank.

Oldham must be the only side that we have played in all 4 divisions?

Until very recently this would have been a Basketcase Derby with maybe a joint effort off the pitch (or even on it) in protesting over the ownership.
Hope they get sorted & back on an even keel, but as we know dodgy owners tend to stick around like shit to a blanket as one of my old teachers used to say.

They look to have picked up a bit in recent games but no reason why the unbeaten away record shouldn't continue.
Hope it's a decent game for those watching both outdoors & in.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, October 30, 2021, 08:40:36 »

1-3 away win.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, October 30, 2021, 08:55:25 »

Mrs D has just told me that northbound J17 on M6 is totally closed.  Check your routes, people.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, October 30, 2021, 08:58:34 »

Quote from: donkey
Mrs D has just told me that northbound J17 on M6 is totally closed.  Check your routes, people.
she's gone without you?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: