Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DVLA appalling service  (Read 2753 times)
normy

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 14:46:33 »

I wondered how many of you have been hit with appalling service when you've had to deal with the DVLA lately.

My compaints are minor compared with many others I've read about, who have lost work and their jobs due to long delays, many months in some cases. HGV drivers particularly it seems.

I had to renew my over-70 driving licence over two months ago, did it online, it seemed OK and went off, but I received no confirmation, and two months later I had no idea what had happened to it. The help chatlines were down, and I tried ringing them. After 45 minutes on hold, I spoke to a real human being who said they had received my application, and explained that it was held up because there's a medical problem with me. "What's that then?" said I. 'You have a pacemaker, and we have to check it out."  "I've had it many years and there's no problems. Why didn't you let me know?" " It's the effect of Covid, and some industrial action."  " So I shouldn't be driving now until you find time to deal with it?"  "Well no, but under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act if you can answer all the questions  you can drive while the processing takes place." "Right then, I've read that and I'm OK, so I'll wait to hear from you."

Another case, I bought my other half a second- hand car two months ago, but we have not received it's log book or any confirmation that she is now registered as the keeper.  They say it should happen in four weeks, or to contact them, but its catch-22, we can't contact them easily and its very time-consuming. For all we know, our seller might not have followed the procedure. We've only waited two months so far, but many others have waited far longer.

Small rant over. I feel sorry for others who's livelihood has been affected- or so I've read online.

ust be the oldest
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 15:14:30 »

You should have the green slip from the seller so that should be proof enough you own the vehicle.
You can always get the V5 with that so I wouldn't worry, however, if you don't have the green slip .............

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 15:20:25 »

I bought a second hand car in October last year and as swindonmaniac says above, I had the green slip as my proof of ownership but the actual documentation from DVLA only arrived earlier this year so took about 6 months or so I think. I had anticipated the change of address on my Driving licence to take forever but it was pretty much next day.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 15:25:48 »

Being pedantic, the V5C is not proof of ownership, it only shows the registered keeper.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 15:29:25 »

Bought a van over two year's ago and still waiting for the V5  !!!!!!.    Have the green slip and made sure I had a signed Bill of purchase so no problems proving it's mine.  It's all taxed / MOT'd and insured so no problem with ANPR.  
 It's either been lost in the post or the seller obviously couldn't be bothered to send it off,  often wondered how many parking/speeding tickets he's had in the last two years ??!!!.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 15:32:06 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 16:11:27 »

Eldest had his provisional refunded, no reason given - easier 3 months. Made about 40 calls to DVLA "all our lines are busy," before I clicked that it was costing a minimum 40p per connection (Plusnet).

reapplied online and they'd improved the service so he could use his passport photo, etc. Got license within 2 weeks ...
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 16:26:51 »

I found the online service to be seamless recently as per Batch’s experience.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 17:33:30 »

Yeah, I bought a new (to me) car in August and the V5C came through the post within a week.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 18:05:14 »

Being pedantic, the V5C is not proof of ownership, it only shows the registered keeper.

I noticed that on the V5C, too.  I did then wonder what is proof of ownership,

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 19:52:22 »

A receipt. Even a hand scrawled one for a second-hand car is fine.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 22:03:55 »

A receipt. Even a hand scrawled one for a second-hand car is fine.

Makes sense, cheers.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
anglia red

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 15:33:35 »

Applied online for over 70 driving licence on 4th November, new licence arrived this morning. Very happy with that.

ome on you reds
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 16:07:12 »

As per my post on another thread, applied online for a new 5 year medical licence, which came really quick but only lasts 6 months and I cannot speak to anyone to sort it!
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 8, 2021, 22:56:16 »

My 17yo daughter applied for a provisional licence on the 4th May. She's still waiting.

She had a seizure 3 years ago and so after 12 weeks they sent her a medical form to complete. In late October, another letter arrived saying she needed to arrange a medical with the doctor. She's hoping to get the licence before she retires.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
normy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 07:10:43 »

The comments on here showed that the service was either very quick and efficient, or extremely slow where medical conditions were involved for driving licences, or for supply of log books.

My pacemaker is only for irregular heart beat, and is monitored continuously electronically by the hospital.  After two months, I got through to DVLA by phone, but they wouldn't/couldn't tell me how they would progress my application, and how long, though they checked it was on their system.

ust be the oldest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: