McKirdy - 3 (4.2%)
Simpson - 1 (1.4%)
Gladwin - 0 (0%)
East - 0 (0%)
Mitchell-Lawson - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 70

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sutton U vs STFC MoM  (Read 4809 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:24:39 »

Didn't see last night but Iandolo is an odd mix. His defending isn't great and his crossing isn't up to much, but his positioning, interplay and dribbling going forwards opens up space and allows us to progress the ball well. He is deceptively integral to us going forward even without that final ball

He started as an attacking midfielder for us a few years ago and up until the past season or two he had a great delivery on him.  I really do think left back/wing back has impacted on that side of his game - it's probably because he is making 50 yard runs to get into that position to deliver rather than 10-15 yard runs.

Last night was right up his alley for his defensive side though - you know what is coming at you, they are not moving you about, similar to Baudry.  His weakness in defence is tracking and positional, neither of which were much trouble against a lump it team.  It's a different challenge and one he stood up to well.

I agree on the going forward aspect, it plays to his strengths - the ball at feet.  He has good close control, nips inside quite well and his right foot is not great but allows him that mobility and the option to go inside or out.  I'd like to see us get a proper left back/wing back in January if we can and use him as cover for that position only.  Early this season he was in midfield and I think Garner may well see that as his long term position.  I hope so, because it seems to fit his skillset best and it would be a shame to see him drift in a career that promised much a few years back.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:26:02 »

Thought McKirdy was awful last night. Has been brilliant recently though.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:28:09 »

Iandolo's best games for us have been at centre back, oddly as he struggles to head anything at times.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:29:24 »

Iandolo's best games for us have been at centre back, oddly as he struggles to head anything at times.

I think that was more to do with the team being shit last season and he looked half competent for a few games.  Curran and Grounds, for differing reasons, would make you and me look competent.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:33:52 »

He was good in midfield at Scunthorpe on the opening day, however that may be because Scunthorpe were not very good.

As RedRag said he & Simpson up front (in the first half particularly) were a real handful for the Sutton defence, and has to be given credit for keeping on making those runs
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:38:32 »

I wouldn't say anyone was awful last night..
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:46:14 »

The debate about Mckirdy is an interesting one. He strikes me as essentially quite a selfish player (and that is by no means all bad). It does mean that when he is good, he looks brilliant, but when he is bad, people more readily forgive him!! He quite often runs into trouble and doesn't pass quickly enough, and sometimes gets in the way of other players in the box in his eagerness.....Don Rogers could be the same!!!!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:57:20 »

McKirdy, or a player like him, are precisely what we were missing a few games back.  We are a well coached, technical team, but we didn't have anyone in the team asking different questions.  Teams could decide to just let us pass it around and get into a good defensive shape knowing we would try and pass it around them alone.  McKirdy, because of that selfish desire to win the game on his own, asks very different questions and creates confusion in a defence.  He is hit and miss, seems to be a bit shit at one on ones, but he changes the dynamic of our team.  He pulls players around, it creates gaps and makes the passing much more effective as a result.  He also winds-up opposition defenders, which creates distraction.

Williams showed last night and in glimpses before, that he might be similar in so far as having something different about him.   He glides more than McKirdy (who I can best describe as buzzes) but he can get an angle on a player and look like he is about to break free with less effort.  That also unlocks defences.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 14:58:10 »

The debate about Mckirdy is an interesting one. He strikes me as essentially quite a selfish player (and that is by no means all bad). It does mean that when he is good, he looks brilliant, but when he is bad, people more readily forgive him!! He quite often runs into trouble and doesn't pass quickly enough, and sometimes gets in the way of other players in the box in his eagerness.....Don Rogers could be the same!!!!
The Don only very, very rarely missed one on ones
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 15:22:35 »

I think we all know how the Don would have finished that one on one last night.  Well Bob Wilson would have known.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 16:35:12 »

Duncan Shearer was another one who was great at this, once he remembered how to score
adje

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 17:12:06 »

To be fair to McKirdy it was a brilliant finish that was wrongfully disallowed

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: