Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sutton away Tickets  (Read 9592 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:49:52 »

Only about 200 Swindon fans in weren't there?  Due to redevelopment.  Anyway my dad and I were in a box, got lucky that a guy we used to know worked for Sharp.  He was offered a box for one game every 2 to 3 seasons and happened to be offered that game.  Good experience, especially as a 14 year old but I'll take the terrace any day thanks.

I think it was more than 200.
Was lucky to get a ticket for that game, got the call from the Travel Club who had a spare one. Must have been on some sort of first reserve list.
Turns out it was a spare from the guy who used to march to the CG for years decked out in white trousers, red jacket, red & white flat cap and big long red & white scarf. Big bushy sideburns as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 10:55:41 »

Yeah I bought tickets online on Thursday. I guess it’s a nice earner for them if they wait until the day before until they send out the email, they can just keep the ticket revenue and refuse entry.

Thanks! Just trying to take my fiancé’s parents to an English football match whilst they are visiting in the UK. This is the only fixture that we could do! Will be very disappointing if we’re refused entry but it’s worth a shot.

A case of born & bred in Sutton then innit.
A bit of finest sofisticated Mockney should see you all gain entry with a bit of luck.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:18:47 »

Only about 200 Swindon fans in weren't there?  Due to redevelopment.  Anyway my dad and I were in a box, got lucky that a guy we used to know worked for Sharp.  He was offered a box for one game every 2 to 3 seasons and happened to be offered that game.  Good experience, especially as a 14 year old but I'll take the terrace any day thanks.

Think it was nearer 2,000 to be honest.

The problem was the tickets were sold from the ticket office (no phone or internet sales in those days) and they were selling one per season ticket (as opposed to one per person).

I took the morning off work to go up & queue, and the queue was most of the way across the car park to the magic roundabout when I arrived. However, there were people at the front of the queue with shopping bags full of season tickets.

So I called Man Utd to book tickets, and they sent me tickets
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:26:12 »

Think it was nearer 2,000 to be honest.

The problem was the tickets were sold from the ticket office (no phone or internet sales in those days) and they were selling one per season ticket (as opposed to one per person).

I took the morning off work to go up & queue, and the queue was most of the way across the car park to the magic roundabout when I arrived. However, there were people at the front of the queue with shopping bags full of season tickets.

So I called Man Utd to book tickets, and they sent me tickets

There was definitely a redevelopment going on, I must be wrong on numbers though.  We had no chance of getting tickets ourselves, we're not local either so despite having season tickets too we didn't even bother, was very lucky with the box.  Good game.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:39:52 »

The ultimate in away ticket difficulty must have been the Newcastle game in the PL season. Home fans only I think.
Some intrepid souls did travel up to queue for tickets or maybe locally based.
On the highlights you can see a very small pocket of fans celebrating our goal in the Gallowgate.

Crap!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:45:44 »

Can't have been many that bought the VHS of the game afterwards.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 11:52:48 »

The ultimate in away ticket difficulty must have been the Newcastle game in the PL season. Home fans only I think.
Some intrepid souls did travel up to queue for tickets or maybe locally based.
On the highlights you can see a very small pocket of fans celebrating our goal in the Gallowgate.

I was living immediately next door to St James Park that year, thankfully that weekend coincided with a trip to Edinburgh on the piss so I had to miss the game!
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:03:05 »

I was at the Old Trafford game, in the away fans section in the corner. Yes, it was definitely nearer 2000 than 200. I don't recall noticing any building work, unlike the Newcastle FA Cup thrashing, where the away end was undergoing reconstruction.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:17:09 »

There was definitely a redevelopment going on, I must be wrong on numbers though.  We had no chance of getting tickets ourselves, we're not local either so despite having season tickets too we didn't even bother, was very lucky with the box.  Good game.
I personally dont remember any unusual development going on at Old trafford for that game mate, I am pretty sure we were allocated 2,500 tickets for OT in the premier league, I stewarded it that day.

I do remember there being some development work going on in the 96 league cup tie up there and we had about 5,000 allocation IIRC that day.

Old Trafford always seemed back then to have some form of work going on there though right the way through the 90s.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 12:25:27 »

I am curious, is it possible for a Town fan to buy tickets online from another teams supporter and sit in their seat?

so in America, tickets are sold through seatgeek or other sites.  It is not unusual for an "away" team to buy up all the seats and own that stadium. 
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 13:11:29 »

I am curious, is it possible for a Town fan to buy tickets online from another teams supporter and sit in their seat?

so in America, tickets are sold through seatgeek or other sites.  It is not unusual for an "away" team to buy up all the seats and own that stadium. 

No - the resale of tickets is illiegal for football in the UK.  It's probably a combination of concern of resale value (ticket touting as we call it) as well the hangover from the 70's/80's with hooliganism - the authorities don't like the ticket passing through many hands.

You can buy direct from a club but the usually have ways of filtering out obvious away fans - so either requiring a previous account having been set-up prior to that game or asking for address and only allowing within a certain radius.  There is also far less acceptance by fans of having those from other teams next to them.  Only in football though - not an issue in any other sport that I am aware of.

I think the Premier League clubs now do facilitate some sort of exchange scheme where you essentially hand back your ticket and they facilitate the transfer to another interested party.  Far too much hassle at our level though.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 13:12:26 »

Also, distance is a driver in the UK in a way it isn't in the USA.  People think a 30 mile drive/trip is a hassle, whereas I'll drive 20 miles to go a restaurant here without blinking an eye!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 13:37:38 »

Also, distance is a driver in the UK in a way it isn't in the USA.  People think a 30 mile drive/trip is a hassle, whereas I'll drive 20 miles to go a restaurant here without blinking an eye!
TBH I have to drive 25 miles for any restaurant chain like McD, BK or KFC or any good restaurant and that doesn't bother me now, it was a cultiure shock after licing in Swindon for 35 years and having everything on the doorstep.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 16:09:42 »

TBH I have to drive 25 miles for any restaurant chain like McD, BK or KFC or any good restaurant and that doesn't bother me now, it was a cultiure shock after licing in Swindon for 35 years and having everything on the doorstep.

at the cost of gas over there, i wouldn't drive more than 5 miles ever....it is now over $3 a gallon in my area and all hell is going to break loose now. 
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 16:11:30 »

No - the resale of tickets is illiegal for football in the UK.  It's probably a combination of concern of resale value (ticket touting as we call it) as well the hangover from the 70's/80's with hooliganism - the authorities don't like the ticket passing through many hands.

You can buy direct from a club but the usually have ways of filtering out obvious away fans - so either requiring a previous account having been set-up prior to that game or asking for address and only allowing within a certain radius.  There is also far less acceptance by fans of having those from other teams next to them.  Only in football though - not an issue in any other sport that I am aware of.

I think the Premier League clubs now do facilitate some sort of exchange scheme where you essentially hand back your ticket and they facilitate the transfer to another interested party.  Far too much hassle at our level though.

are the number of away tickets constant or does the home club look at how many of their fans have bought tickets and then sell more if needed to make money?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: