Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Supporter  (Read 4598 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 12:44:36 »

Why is it illegal to broadcast games in the UK?  Couldn't a club create their own broadcasting channel online to create interest and revenue?  For example here, there is the Big 10 network for that conference of schools and their sports.  they partner with major networks but also have their own programming for all sports other than football and basketball.

Overarching rule, the aim of which historically was to prevent say PL games being shown at 3pm on the telly and discouraging fans from attending lower league games in the flesh.

The most recent high profile example was the fuss that Ronaldo's first match at Man Utd could not be shown on TV as it was a 3pm kick off, much to the displeasure of Sky.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 12:45:14 »

It's only those games that kick off at 15:00 Saturday UK time (or those that take place in that timeframe) as it is the time the vast majority of games take place throughout the entire league structure.  It is so to reduce the amount of people choosing to stay at home watching the bigger games rather than the games local to them, it is to help the smaller teams keep fans and generate revenue.

Outside of the UK networks are able to show any game they choose to so unfortunately people get hold of streams of games anyway.  iFollow is there to give those of us that live outside the UK the opportunity to watch our team at that 15:00 Saturday timeslot, it is available to those living in the UK for the midweek games assuming they are not selected to be shown on TV already.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 13:36:21 »

Overarching rule, the aim of which historically was to prevent say PL games being shown at 3pm on the telly and discouraging fans from attending lower league games in the flesh.

The most recent high profile example was the fuss that Ronaldo's first match at Man Utd could not be shown on TV as it was a 3pm kick off, much to the displeasure of Sky.

I can see that reasoning but in today's world with streaming options a club could create a team app for roku, apple tv etc...and make that same money and maybe more.  really that is basically what ifollow is i guess but less team oriented?

our sporting KC matches are on Tv all the time but there is not substitute for being there in person.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 13:47:34 »

Interesting to see Orient arguing against it.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/english-football-league-3pm-blackout-explained-cristiano-ronaldo-man-united-debut-1189022
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 13:48:42 »

Saturday is a good one to watch

We are playing Bristol Rovers a local(ish) derby match. Hopefully the atmosphere will be good. Though we were only allocated 700 tickets I think, away fans are usually noisier.

Their manager is on an assault charge, which hopefully will make sense of any wife beater chants

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-57969765.amp

obviously if the games crap, ignore the above!
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 14:41:18 »

I just signed up for a month of isupport to give it a try so we will see how it works  Clap

it would be great to hear chants and things...most likely not...that part of UK sport is way better than America
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 14:54:52 »

I apologize for the many posts/replies but  questions pop in my head.

not to sound to ignorant but from my understanding of English football divisions, Swindon would be really the 4th division?  here we have multiple divisions for baseball that i think might be similar. 

With that  being said, as I watch highlights of the last Swindon match, the skill level of the players are very good by American standards.  honestly I would say from what little i have watched that they are on par with our MLS players.  their touch, speed, and creativity is easily on level with our professional league.  Makes me wonder if these players in this division and even the next up try to come to America.  I believe league minimum is around $360,000 for a player.

I find this very interesting and really sad that our players are still so far behind. 

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 14:59:48 »

yes, decision 4

teams can be promoted and relegated (debited l demoted) between division based on League position/playoffs

the are divisions below 4 that are outside the EFL but that feed into it.. it's a pyramid of several levels

below division 4 is considered 'non  League

------
in theory you could start your own team at the local park, and end up playing in the premier League

obviously in practice that's not possible. Each level has ground requirements and you'd need to be insanely rich to even get to division 4, though teams like Harrogate and Forest Green have managed it
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 15:29:09 »

I apologize for the many posts/replies but  questions pop in my head.

not to sound to ignorant but from my understanding of English football divisions, Swindon would be really the 4th division?  here we have multiple divisions for baseball that i think might be similar. 

With that  being said, as I watch highlights of the last Swindon match, the skill level of the players are very good by American standards.  honestly I would say from what little i have watched that they are on par with our MLS players.  their touch, speed, and creativity is easily on level with our professional league.  Makes me wonder if these players in this division and even the next up try to come to America.  I believe league minimum is around $360,000 for a player.

I find this very interesting and really sad that our players are still so far behind. 

In 2006, a Swindon player, Stefani Miglioranzi moved from Town to La Galaxy and played with David Beckham. He went on to play for Columbus and Philidelphia too
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 15:36:17 »

Another American link with Swindon Town, ex Swindon Town youth footballer John Smith played American football for the New England Patriots back in the late 70s early 80s.

Also see here Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 16:18:11 »

I am the export, I think, that was mentioned earlier!

Having been to plenty of Atlanta Utd games I can probably offer some comparisons.  In terms of the fans/atmosphere, the Atlanta games are much more aligned with Latin America and maybe a hybrid with Italian (the use of Tifo's, having someone direct the fans etc.).  You'll also see drums in MLS but not really in English football - they detract from the atmosphere in English grounds, but I will say they work well as part of the Latin style support in MLS.

Going to a Swindon game would probably be a bit like one of the older, smaller MLS teams, in terms of fan numbers, size of stadium etc.  The crowd are much, hmmm, more coarse at English football.  The only proper swear laden rant I have heard at an Atl Utd game, which caught me by surprise on hearing it, came from a Millwall fan who was also an expat.  Even the swearing in chants in MLS is limited, not so in English football.

I think MLS has made massive strides in the past 10 years, maybe starting with teams like Seattle Sounders.  Certainly the new entrants have all added a bit of the English/European style local support.

It's getting closer to the way College Football teams here are the local lynchpins, that's what football teams in England are like but on a smaller more localised scale.

In terms of talent, MLS is closest to the Championship level in England, but mainly due to the Designated Players and influx of South American talent.  The rest of the squads tend to be League 1 and 2 standard.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 16:20:32 by RobertT » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: