Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Supporter  (Read 4599 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 09:33:58 »

Yes there's a big difference between the 2 and over here most go just for the footy and to meet up with some friends/family before the game for an hour or 2.

The atmosphere is the biggest difference, in the US it is created by the music, cheerleaders etc where over here the fans create the atmosphere by singing, ooing and arring, shouting, cheering etc.   This is partly down to the jeopardy that is in our model, the rivalries that have built up over decades and also the vocal away support, which doesn't exist in the states due the distances involved.

You've never watched any American sport have you!?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 09:43:37 »

To be fair, its trueish of the snippet of US sports I've watched live. A very small sample indeed. Even the Raiders (v Seahawks) was a bit "offence...." ... "defence" in terms of atmosphere. But I wouldn't say they weren't there to watch the game.

The best one was the Sharks fans giving the opposition keeper the slow name thing "beeeeeeelfour..beeeeelfour". Was the Sharks 'tender the season before and wasn't overly complimentary when he left.

Oh, and the Canadians were a bit better at the football (Canada v Mexico) "who wants a green card, who who who"
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 10:22:25 »

Perhaps I worded it wrong.  I've been to a few NHL and NFL games and it was more like going to a one day cricket match than the footy.

Perfectly enjoyable but very different. 
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 11:37:06 »

And for me all the better. Sky Sports tried to do all that nonsense when the Premier league was first created, not sure how long the fireworks and cheerleaders lasted but football really doesn't need any of the garnish that American sport has.

American sports are much more about the occasion rather than the game itself. I've been to NHL and NBA and there is much more of a drive to entertain at all costs. I could barely watch any of the NHL game as every 2 minutes I had to stand up and let people past who had been to one of the multiple food stalls and brought back a week's worth of food to plough into at their seat. During breaks in the NBA in San Francisco they had trapeze artists, pizza boxes falling from the skies into seats etc.

All this stuff isn't for me at all. Have a few pre-match pints, turn up to the CG at 2:57, watch the game and then go home. Horses for courses and all.

I hope you don't have high expectations Godd002, supporting STFC is likely to give you an emotion similar to the US State that you currently reside in.  Cheesy

I am actually from Nebraska.  If you know anything about Nebraska, it is probably as much if not more dull than Kansas.  But we do have the University American football team, the Huskers.  In my state, this is not a team, it is a religion so I think there we are similar to many English soccer fans.  As for STFC struggling and building, again the Huskers were extremely strong in the 70's and 80's and simply just dominated the 90's, but it has been a long 20 years of dismal football from them since 2000, so I am used to supporting teams that are growing.  But I think that is real fandom, supporting a team always.   
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 11:42:33 »

I am actually from Nebraska.  If you know anything about Nebraska, it is probably as much if not more dull than Kansas.  But we do have the University American football team, the Huskers.  In my state, this is not a team, it is a religion so I think there we are similar to many English soccer fans.  As for STFC struggling and building, again the Huskers were extremely strong in the 70's and 80's and simply just dominated the 90's, but it has been a long 20 years of dismal football from them since 2000, so I am used to supporting teams that are growing.  But I think that is real fandom, supporting a team always.   

Thanks for the reply Smiley

I was trying to be amusing and attempting a play on words with Missouri = misery (I know some Americans refer to that particular state as such)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 11:48:28 »

The Huskers seemed to have mirrored STFC 
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 11:48:59 »

thank you for the replies, great to learn about the team.  hopefully in the future i can learn more about the area as well.  I hope to come over in the next few years.

A few people mentioned the show vs the game comparison.  I agree that sometimes here in the US the game is more of a show but i will say the for the cost of a ticket to many professional teams it better be.  for example, here in Kansas City, and the cheapest ticket at the top of the stadium for a chiefs game is around $200 face value.  Our local soccer team, Sporting, is more affordable but they do try to spice it up with fireworks.  It is really too much i agree.  They also have a very annoying "hype man" yelling all the time.  stupid.   I will say though the regulars at the games are there for the sport.  
of course in my mind, all I have is movies to go by, I imagined supporters meeting at a pub near the stadium drinking and singing and migrating towards the stadium when the time comes Smiley  somebody mentioned you are not able to take food and beer to seats?  I will say, you all should take up tailgating!!  it is fun and great comradery.

I am a Chemistry and Technical Theater teacher in what we call high school, so kids 14-18.  I have loved soccer all my life.  The thought of how much it has brought joy to my life gives me tears really.  I have played and coached for 40 years, well more coached lately due to my fat ass state  Cheesy  Anyway, something that has been in my mind.  I want to support a local team rebuilding so it continues, so I have considered on occasion, when i have some extra money, buying a couple tickets to a home game.  Obviously I am not able to come to a game so I was thinking about donating them to a high school, still haven't wrapped my head around what you all have for a "high school" level.  anyway, then the school could either reward a student with the tickets or even a teacher. I am not sure if you have what we call school districts?  this is where there is an group of schools, elementary through high school that is run by one central administration.  if so I could work with them.

Is that something that happens over there?  Would teachers or students go to a game?  I am really just looking for guidance on if this is a decent idea and how to go about it.  I would have to work out buying the tickets online and then getting them to a school of some sort.  

anyway, keep up the suggestions and information.  Cheers ! Smiley

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 11:54:19 »

The supporters trust are involved with arranging free tickets to games for primary schools (age 5-11) at many games this season, I’d suggest engaging with them and seeing if you can contribute through them.

https://truststfc.tv/

Things get better but they never get good
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 11:54:43 »

Thanks for the reply Smiley

I was trying to be amusing and attempting a play on words with Missouri = misery (I know some Americans refer to that particular state as such)

In kansas city, there is a kansas side, better side by the way, and a missouri side.  but you are correct about that hell hole call missouri
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 11:57:05 »

Equally you can stream the games online for about 14-15 dollars a game, and some of that money will go to the club

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 12:08:17 »

Equally to get the true CG effect just get a family member to sit behind you shouting 'Get it ffffoooorrrrwwwwaaaarrrd' every 5 mins while you watch it.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 12:16:02 »

Equally you can stream the games online for about 14-15 dollars a game, and some of that money will go to the club

I am glad you brought this up.  i am strongly considering buying the game this Saturday morning.  Actually cancelled a theatre work day with my lighting kids so I can, priorities ! Cheesy

Anyway, does anyone know what the stream is like?  is the broadcast basically what would be shown on TV there in Swindon?  I tried to simply find a radio station online to listen but not much luck there. Thoughts on the stream?  i am annoyed i can only get it on a computer and not through my roku tv but i will work around that.   
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 12:19:33 »

It’s a single camera high up in the stand, with the radio commentary. The games aren’t shown live as you’d probably be accustomed too - no studio analysis for example

It’s more comparable to the tv coverage of a high school football game (from a clip I saw on Netflix once). Very low budget, but you get to watch the game

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 12:20:05 »

I am glad you brought this up.  i am strongly considering buying the game this Saturday morning.  Actually cancelled a theatre work day with my lighting kids so I can, priorities ! Cheesy

Anyway, does anyone know what the stream is like?  is the broadcast basically what would be shown on TV there in Swindon?  I tried to simply find a radio station online to listen but not much luck there. Thoughts on the stream?  i am annoyed i can only get it on a computer and not through my roku tv but i will work around that.   

The streams are very good. The commentary is from the local radio station and the picture is full HD. We don't actually (legally) get to watch locally as 3pm kickoff saturday games are illegal to watch on TV in the UK so are not shown.

The local radio station is BBC Wiltshire but there are no online rights for broadcasting as these are owned by the aforementioned streaming service.
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 12:24:30 »

The streams are very good. The commentary is from the local radio station and the picture is full HD. We don't actually (legally) get to watch locally as 3pm kickoff saturday games are illegal to watch on TV in the UK so are not shown.

The local radio station is BBC Wiltshire but there are no online rights for broadcasting as these are owned by the aforementioned streaming service.

Why is it illegal to broadcast games in the UK?  Couldn't a club create their own broadcasting channel online to create interest and revenue?  For example here, there is the Big 10 network for that conference of schools and their sports.  they partner with major networks but also have their own programming for all sports other than football and basketball.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: