Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Supporter  (Read 4601 times)
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 21:53:35 »

Hello All,
Recently I found that my family came from the Swindon Town area back in 1673 to America.  So I have begun to take a great interest in the area.  I have played or coached soccer, yes American, for 40+ years so of course I have decided to become a supporter of Swindon Town FC.  I live in the Kansas City area, the middle of the USA, and we have a "major league" soccer team call Sporting KC so I go to those matches on occasion.
I am curious what it is like to attend a match at Swindon.  Is there music playing to get the crowd excited?  are there fireworks or anything when the players are announced?  Are there vendors for food and drink?  Are there bad seats in the stadium that people avoid? 
I see that the club is really in a rebuilding phase.  When would have been the high point for the club?  Do you see the rebuild going in the right direction?
I'm excited to figure out the customs and "lingo" of your team, right now as i read i am somewhat lost  Cheesy
In general, just very curious about the team and the Swindon area.
Thanks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 23:12:54 »

Music gets played before the game but I wouldn’t exactly call it ‘pumping up’ music if that makes sense. Most fans don’t get into the stadium until about 10-15 minutes before kick off, so there little desire or need for pre game entertainment.

Fireworks, no and we couldn’t afford to waste money on them even if they were allowed.
No vendors either but fast food kiosks in the concourse (inside the stand) that serve burgers, chips, hot dogs soft drinks and beer (which you can’t take back to your seat)

High point. We won the league cup in 1969 but that’s way before my time.
We rose up the divisions in mid to late 80s under Macari but just a bit before my time too.
We won promotion to the top division in 93 and then got pummelled and relegated but I think most of us enjoyed before there for our one and only time.

The rebuild is certainly going in the right direction off the pitch but feel there maybe more shit from the previous owners to clean up.

On the pitch looks ok. Better than expected but personally have reservations about our head coach.
REDBUCK

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 05:56:05 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/

JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 06:09:51 »

A visit to the bus station is a must.

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 06:50:12 »

Think Superbowl extravaganza, then turn it down 1.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 07:01:59 »

Welcome Godd002.

it's always good to get new fans/people interested in the club.

The UK is a bit behind the USA in putting on a 'show' at sport. No cheerleaders, no kiss cam, no t-shirts fired into the crowd... at least that's my limited experience of us sports. but we prefer it like that

we have an escapee here who has emigrated to the US and watches football (soccer), I'm sure he'll be able to give a better comparison because I've only been to NHL/NFL.

A typical day, well I guess it depends. A few beers with friends, go to the game and have a bit of a sing, and yes a bit of that will be aimed at the 'away' fans (the opposition). All part of the experience.

it's pretty rare that the hooliganism that blighted the 80s and early 90s rears its head these days, but occasionally it happens. much more a family affair now.

stadium are largely all seated, something that happened after the Hillsborough tragedy that has now claimed 97 lives. however some lower League clubs have terracing (standing) and some clubs are trialling a return to 'safe standing' (not us yet).

the country ground has 4 stands. The Town End (,West) is a roofed former terrace converted to seats directly behind the goal. view aren't great and there are posts holding the roof. why would you sit here - atmosphere. it's where most of the noise comes from!

at the other end is the uncovered Stratton Bank. again converted terracing. this used to house 75% home fans and 25% away, segregated by a big metal fence. thankfully those days are gone. the stand is terribly outdated and only used to house away fans if they bring enough to justify opening it.

the Arkells stand (North) is the main stage and in addition to housing home and away fans (segregated) there are the changing rooms for been players, hospitality rooms and a bar. there are no hospitality suites in the ground. again there are posts holding the roof which can obscure the views.

the Don Rogers stand (South) is the newest stand (90s!) this offers the best view since there are no posts holding the roof.

typically games are added by between 7000-8000 fans, this is reasonably good for the lowest League
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 07:05:13 »

Think Superbowl extravaganza, then turn it down 1.

One? More like turn it down 90%. Sadly for our newly acquired American cousin there’ll be no tail gate BBQ meet ups in the County Ground car park before the game.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 07:07:26 »

One? More like turn it down 90%. Sadly for our newly acquired American cousin there’ll be no tail gate BBQ meet ups in the County Ground car park before the game.
You don't 'do' irony do you?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 07:10:33 »

Can't believe you forgot about the Robinettes Batch.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 07:12:18 »

Quote from: Nemo
Can't believe you forgot about the Robinettes Batch.

they are no more.

and not really the type of cheerleaders I was thinking of Wink
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 07:50:13 »

No 😉
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 08:05:08 »

It's like tinny and woody, but made of iron.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 08:20:25 »

they are no more.

and not really the type of cheerleaders I was thinking of Wink

Dallas Cowboys?   Smiley
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 08:39:32 »

Welcome Godd002.

it's always good to get new fans/people interested in the club.

The UK is a bit behind the USA in putting on a 'show' at sport. No cheerleaders, no kiss cam, no t-shirts fired into the crowd... at least that's my limited experience of us sports. but we prefer it like that

And for me all the better. Sky Sports tried to do all that nonsense when the Premier league was first created, not sure how long the fireworks and cheerleaders lasted but football really doesn't need any of the garnish that American sport has.

American sports are much more about the occasion rather than the game itself. I've been to NHL and NBA and there is much more of a drive to entertain at all costs. I could barely watch any of the NHL game as every 2 minutes I had to stand up and let people past who had been to one of the multiple food stalls and brought back a week's worth of food to plough into at their seat. During breaks in the NBA in San Francisco they had trapeze artists, pizza boxes falling from the skies into seats etc.

All this stuff isn't for me at all. Have a few pre-match pints, turn up to the CG at 2:57, watch the game and then go home. Horses for courses and all.

I hope you don't have high expectations Godd002, supporting STFC is likely to give you an emotion similar to the US State that you currently reside in.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 08:42:23 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 09:22:01 »

Yes there's a big difference between the 2 and over here most go just for the footy and to meet up with some friends/family before the game for an hour or 2.

The atmosphere is the biggest difference, in the US it is created by the music, cheerleaders etc where over here the fans create the atmosphere by singing, ooing and arring, shouting, cheering etc.   This is partly down to the jeopardy that is in our model, the rivalries that have built up over decades and also the vocal away support, which doesn't exist in the states due the distances involved.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 29, 2021, 09:25:17 by Pookemon » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: