Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Daffodil Eaters (FGR) v Swindon Town pre match, match, post match thread  (Read 46549 times)
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:05:59 »

In 2003-4 season we started with 7 away games unbeaten in every competition, 3 wins and 4 draws. 5 league games and 2 LC games.

Southend U 3 - 2 LC
Colchester U 1 - 0
Bournemouth 2 - 2
Brighton 2 - 2
Grimsby 2 - 1
Barnsley 1 - 1
Leeds 2-2 LC (lost on pens)

So far we have gone
Scunthorpe 3-1
Cambridge 0-0 LC (lost on pens)
Salford 1-0
Stevenage 1-1
Northampton 1-1
Rovers 3-1
FGR 2-0

Yea very similar starts results wise looking at that..

Well we're at the magical 10/11 league games mark and overall I'm well bloody happy with the start..
Godd002

Go Big Red

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:10:02 »

Minnesota Vikings the local team, here.  Where do I begin.........................."Why don't Iowa have a professional football team?  Because the people in Minnesota would want one too."

my buddy who watched the came this morning with me says

skol!!!!   Smug Fuck Off
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:11:04 »

In 2003-4 season we started with 7 away games unbeaten in every competition, 3 wins and 4 draws. 5 league games and 2 LC games.

Southend U 3 - 2 LC
Colchester U 1 - 0
Bournemouth 2 - 2
Brighton 2 - 2
Grimsby 2 - 1
Barnsley 1 - 1
Leeds 2-2 LC (lost on pens)

So far we have gone
Scunthorpe 3-1
Cambridge 0-0 LC (lost on pens)
Salford 1-0
Stevenage 1-1
Northampton 1-1
Rovers 3-1
FGR 2-0

We're top of the away form league and 20th at home. Hope we can turn that around on Saturday.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:15:37 »

Absolutely! I admit I was wrong about my fears pre game.
The fears may have been wrong, but the sentiment that we had 5 players out and still had to play the game wasn't.

But since we won, who cares.

Incidentally it was stated the reason we couldn't call it off was because we missed the deadline - which is much earlier for a TV game. We didn't know JoJo and Gilbert would be called up at time of deadline
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #589 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:29:18 »

Incidentally it was stated the reason we couldn't call it off was because we missed the deadline - which is much earlier for a TV game. We didn't know JoJo and Gilbert would be called up at time of deadline
Of that I was unaware, add to that KKH who wasn't called up until last week as well then.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #590 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:31:06 »

We had until August 31st i believe to call it off, no need to back then was there. It's not just us who sign these deals but i would be amazed if we did again.
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #591 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 15:55:50 »

Really happy with that result and performance. It proved to me that Garner knows what he is doing aswell as he mixed that up a bit and after the subs and formation last week it showed he isn't afraid to.

I would like to see the fans create an atmosphere from the off next week and us really create something, it's the chicken and the egg scenario at the home games at the moment but i think we will come good.

Some superb performances notably from those mentioned but i have to admit i thought Conroy was also brilliant back there today as many predicted a much tougher afternoon than we ended up with. I know many will say Ward was man of the match but their keeper was also theirs.

Notable mention also for Simpson after last week. I know he gets a bit of stick but if he continues at his current rate he will have finished on around 16 goals in his first pro season. I will take that
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 16:03:25 »

I'd not been at all convinced by Garnerball but a few more results/performances like today and at Rovers like last week and I'll happily be doing a complete 180...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #593 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 16:18:04 »

I'd not been at all convinced by Garnerball but a few more results/performances like today and at Rovers like last week and I'll happily be doing a complete 180...
I agree mate, the jury is still out for the full decision on "Garnerball" but we are making moves in the right direction for sure.

Last week and this week we didn't piss around with short passes at the back putting us under needless pressure but with McKirdy we have a player who can change games and take a risk, something so few of our players are willing to do very often.

Simpson needs that type of player closer to him than Gilbert gets, McKirdy fills the gap between midfield and Simpson better and wins the 2nd ball so well and then runs directly at defenders creating chances. Too often Gilbert and Payne are chasing the same ball and taking up the same positions and getting in each others way.

McKirdy playing also takes the pressure off Simpson to be our only real attacker and today Simpson relished that and for me with Reed was in our top 4 players after Ward and McKirdy but nobody played badly and all played as a unit making the league leaders look pretty average today.

Conroy and Crichlow as well as Odimayo kept possibly the best target man in L2 in Jamille Matt very quiet and frustrated today, defensively we are improving and looking pretty solid, keeping the opposition down to a couple of chances per game which in L1 may well go punished but far less so in L2.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 16:22:37 »

Just got back from the game, cracking win from the lads today. I'd have happily taken a point today pre-match.

Talking to a few FGR fans pre-match, they seemed quietly confident and who could blame them being top of the league and all. First half I think Swindon edged it by a whisker but hardly anything in it. The fans that were bullying and abusing Sweeney were hilarious, I don't think Sweeney knew how to take being targetted for no obvious reason, he tried hard to play at his best but his game just fell apart. Tried to play balls forward but our midfield just picked them out and attacked. Sweeney ended up playing short and safe passes in the 2nd half and lost contact with McKirdy in the 2nd half to go 1-0 up before getting subbed off. 12th man at its best!

Simpson was back to his best, dominating and destroying the centre backs, brushing them off with ease. Would love to cough up some cash and sign him permanently!

McKirdy tore Sweeney apart but I think my MOM has to go to Ward, but a tight call with the impressive McKirdy. With Ward stepping in for Jojo and producing some of the saves he did, couldn't fault him at all today. The penalty was soft as playdough to award. Just watched back the highlights and the FGR player moved the ball away from Ward, dragged his foot back to make contact and then falls over. The Ref was frankly a joke and was itching to give FGR something. Worst ref of the season so far? But back to Ward, it's awesome to know that we have 2 solid goalkeepers in the squad that from what we've seen today from Ward, both could be first-team starters!

2 away wins on the bounce, sat in 3rd place, 4 points off the top - We should be fearing no one! In Garner and Clem I trust! EIEIEIO

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
Hunk

« Reply #595 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 16:27:40 »

Sutton with a comeback win against Port Vale bumps us up to third, although Sutton would leapfrog us by a point if they were to win their game in hand.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 16:30:02 »

Just got back from the game, cracking win from the lads today. I'd have happily taken a point today pre-match.

Talking to a few FGR fans pre-match, they seemed quietly confident and who could blame them being top of the league and all. First half I think Swindon edged it by a whisker but hardly anything in it. The fans that were bullying and abusing Sweeney were hilarious, I don't think Sweeney knew how to take being targetted for no obvious reason, he tried hard to play at his best but his game just fell apart. Tried to play balls forward but our midfield just picked them out and attacked. Sweeney ended up playing short and safe passes in the 2nd half and lost contact with McKirdy in the 2nd half to go 1-0 up before getting subbed off. 12th man at its best!

Simpson was back to his best, dominating and destroying the centre backs, brushing them off with ease. Would love to cough up some cash and sign him permanently!

McKirdy tore Sweeney apart but I think my MOM has to go to Ward, but a tight call with the impressive McKirdy. With Ward stepping in for Jojo and producing some of the saves he did, couldn't fault him at all today. The penalty was soft as playdough to award. Just watched back the highlights and the FGR player moved the ball away from Ward, dragged his foot back to make contact and then falls over. The Ref was frankly a joke and was itching to give FGR something. Worst ref of the season so far? But back to Ward, it's awesome to know that we have 2 solid goalkeepers in the squad that from what we've seen today from Ward, both could be first-team starters!

2 away wins on the bounce, sat in 3rd place, 4 points off the top - We should be fearing no one! In Garner and Clem I trust! EIEIEIO

Talking of Clem, did anyone of you Herbert's go to the LL and watch with the Grande Fromage? Did he have much to say to those who asked a question?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 16:31:35 »

Sutton with a comeback win against Port Vale bumps us up to third, although Sutton would leapfrog us by a point if they were to win their game in hand.

Ifs and buts and pots and pans. We have them away at their shed  a week Tuesday.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 17:22:09 »

1202 Town fans. I’m sure somebody on here predicted that!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: Saturday, October 9, 2021, 17:26:39 »

Told Dion Conroy coming off the pitch to empty his pockets out as Jamal Matt was inside them.
Special call out to Reed, easily motm was just everywhere, and just never wasteful with the ball.
A footballer with a footballing brain.

What a cracking day out.
Tin pot Club with a fair few Swindon not getting into the ground until after 20 minutes into the game.
Countless tickets were not scanning, two poxy turnstiles, fans having to reverse out of the said turnstiles and then let in via a side door.
Jobsworth stewards should have let a few more through the side door to reduce the queue.

I detest having to go to FGR.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: